Class Action Lawsuit // Defective refrigerator compressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just like the HVAC industry.

Every brand gets their parts made by the same poopy manufacturer. Majority of compressors are Copeland scroll, inducer motors are fasco, blower and condenser motors are genteq. Not all systems are like this but 95% use parts all made by the same manufacture. They just paint it a color, stick a badge on it and call it theirs.

I have the ideology of if it’s all poop just buy the cheapest poop and replace it when it fails. The more expensive it cost upfront the more it costs to repair it.

I had an LG fridge, compressor went out after like 5 years and wasn't covered under the recall. Now have a GE. BTW, LG and Samsung are Korean, not Japanese or whatever else you think. I believe made in China though.

Kenmore fridges used to be made by Amana and were super reliable. I still have one in the garage that was 10 years old when it came with the house, and that was 13 years ago...! If you hear some humming in the background in my videos, it's the Kenmore.

When we were looking for a new frig...
Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart ,happened to walk by their Clearance/Scratch&Dent section while browsing all the new shiny units and it was pretty much filled with LG and Samsung refrigerators...
(The Very Expensive ones)
There was a Lot of them!

It just give us a worrying mental note to avoid them..
I avoid LG as well for fridges. Their clothes washers are rated among the best however. Samsung Washers suck. Been there. Many brands have their own best. and their worst stuff as well. But many who renovate their whole Kitchen for instance tend to buy all the same brand. so the kitchen looks all matched up. You end up with a poor Dish washer or Fridge for example. There are brands that specialize in that one best appliance, And their other stuff just sucks. Been there. I did my kitchen all KitchenAid SS stuff. The Stove/Oven and Dishwasher always crap out. Been through 4 pumps in 12 years with my dishwasher. I change it myself now off warranty.

We have a Samsung TV 55" start developing problems -LineS on the screen- not long after warranty period expired...
We were so easy on it too. Just some news periodically and some kids animations or movies..
(NO Xbox/video games of any kind.)

And, we have a stainless steel Samsung dishwasher stop spraying water from the very top spinner/sprayer...
So only the Bottom rack dishes gets clean but the top and a portion of the middle rack dishes don't get washed all that well.. still have some greasy film on after each wash ,so we end up having to hand-wash a majority of them.
NOT convenient when you have kids...

So yeah Really sucks!
It's pretty Lame!

And, new dishwashers that's full stainless with the features we want are going for $1,000+
🤦‍♂️

So two for Two...
👎👎

I would have Strong reservations in giving my money on another Samsung appliance ,for surHve

We have a Samsung TV 55" start developing problems -LineS on the screen- not long after warranty period expired...
We were so easy on it too. Just some news periodically and some kids animations or movies..
(NO Xbox/video games of any kind.)

And, we have a stainless steel Samsung dishwasher stop spraying water from the very top spinner/sprayer...
So only the Bottom rack dishes gets clean but the top and a portion of the middle rack dishes don't get washed all that well.. still have some greasy film on after each wash ,so we end up having to hand-wash a majority of them.
NOT convenient when you have kids...

So yeah Really sucks!
It's pretty Lame!

And, new dishwashers that's full stainless with the features we want are going for $1,000+
🤦‍♂️

So two for Two...
👎👎

I would have Strong reservations in giving my money on another Samsung appliance ,for sure.
Have the same problem with my panasonic tv came with 5 year warranty . 5,5 years in line down the screen , its like a built in problem to get you to part with £/$ . The sad part is panasonic / Technics had a good reputation back in the day .

^^^
When it comes to TV's, I find that a good burn-in with extended hours of use, being left On is proper and very important initially, in the beginning when new out the box. If you got a bad one, it will crap out sooner and while under warranty. If nothing fails with initial extended use, you usually got a "Good One". And will get you a good 5-10 years. They usually don't last much longer these days unfortunately. Not using it much in the beginning , being "gentle" with it goes against you. You get burned that way. The warranty clock starts ticking the moment you have it. Been there. I am into this stuff. I even calibrate my displays..
A tech repair guy told me this years back. What he does. It's very true. I got 2 bad displays before. One was replaced outright right away when fairly new, because it had too many pixels out. The other was repaired under warranty within one year. I always calibrate the display colors well after a good burn-In. The settings out the box are set up for Display in a Store, ( Demo Mode settings) which is usually under bright store lighting. They are way too vivid out the box and always appear unnatural. Just that we think a new TV is perfect and we should get used to that. Not so.

Last edited:
I like how we're complaining about $1500 fridges breaking...

and most of us have $8k worth of RC cars sitting in our closet, 90% of which are broken.

^^^
When it comes to TV's, I find that a good burn-in with extended hours of use, being left On is proper and very important initially, in the beginning when new out the box. If you got a bad one, it will crap out sooner and while under warranty. If nothing fails with initial extended use, you usually got a "Good One". And will get you a good 5-10 years. They usually don't last much longer these days unfortunately. Not using it much in the beginning , being "gentle" with it goes against you. You get burned that way. The warranty clock starts ticking the moment you have it. Been there. I am into this stuff. I even calibrate my displays..
A tech repair guy told me this years back. What he does. It's very true.
Back in the day I had a sony trinitron CRT TV . 32 inch screen this thing was a beast 30kg / 66 pounds built to last & never be moved ( unless you enjoy putting your back out } worked perfectly for over 10 years . unfotuntly failure is now factory spec .:cry:

At least these are less money than when Flat panel TV's first came out, I remember spending $4K on a Sammy 55 inch "Side light" type backlighting TV back in 2006. It was supposedly a Reference spec at the time. Then Pioneer became the reference spec for TV's. 120Hz TV's were expensive. Never again spending all that $$. And I spent $4k for a High def TV when there only a few channels offering HD. Some Direct TV and Cable HD channels were an extra charge fee. What BS. So BluRay was my only choice to enjoy the Highest Resolution. Even Direct TV and Cable had little if any HD basic programming channels till like 2009. The TV prior I had was also a Sony 36" Flat Tube. Weighed like 200 pounds. All Glass. :rolleyes: That cost me about $700. That Sony Tube TV's claim to fame was that it had an S-Video port. A big thing before HD panels. Nothing wrong with it except I wanted HD now. That Sony sucked so much power too. Was like running a 1,000 watt light bulb.:LOL:

Last edited:

and most of us have $8k worth of RC cars sitting in our closet, 90% of which are broken.

You can't take your frigs out to the park and Bash it /Send it to the Moon...

You can't take your frigs out to the park and Bash it /Send it to the Moon...

And your Notorious can’t make ice or keep your pizza cold…. not sure what your point is.

In any case, my comment was just a joke on the absurdity of everything we spend money on in the end.

You are so right!!
I love you dude. :ROFLMAO: A realist for sure.

At least these are less money than when Flat panel TV's first came out, I remember spending $4K on a Sammy 55 inch "Side light" type backlighting TV back in 2006. It was suppose dly Refernce spec at the time. Then Pioneer became the reference spec for TV's. 120Hz TV's were expensive. Never again spending all that $$. And I sent $4k for a High def TV when there only a few channels offering HD. So BlueRay was my only choice to enjoy the Highest Resolution. EVen Direct Tv and Cable had little if any HD programming till like
At least these are less money than when Flat panel TV's first came out, I remember spending $4K on a Sammy 55 inch "Side light" type backlighting TV back in 2006. It was supposedly a Reference spec at the time. Then Pioneer became the reference spec for TV's. 120Hz TV's were expensive. Never again spending all that $$. And I spent $4k for a High def TV when there only a few channels offering HD. Some Direct TV and Cable HD channels were an extra charge fee. What BS. So BluRay was my only choice to enjoy the Highest Resolution. Even Direct TV and Cable had little if any HD basic programming channels till like 2009. The TV prior I had was also a Sony 36" Flat Tube. Weighed like 200 pounds. All Glass. :rolleyes: That cost me about $700. That Sony Tube TV's claim to fame was that it had an S-Video port. A big thing before HD panels. Nothing wrong with it except I wanted HD now. That Sony sucked so much power too. Was like runnig a1,000 watt light bulb.:LOL:
Went down that rabbit hole with plasma TVs / 5.1 home cinema systems . huge AV amps . spend days trying to hide the cables . mrs geting angry . LED TV & Sound bar are my go to now

HEY! Mine ain't broke - LOL

And your Notorious can’t make ice or keep your pizza cold…. not sure what your point is.

In any case, my comment was just a joke on the absurdity of everything we spend money on in the end.

You missed my point..

IF we were to Abuse our refrigerators like the way some of us drive our Notorious or other rigs and it Fails after a few months then it's understandable.

However, I would bet nobody uses/"operates" their frig (in a residential environment) anywhere close to its Mechanical Limits to cause it to 'just fail' before or after said warranty period.
Especially for something that just sits there in the corner of a kitchen.

That's why we are complaining about spending $1,500+

Went down that rabbit hole with plasma TVs / 5.1 home cinema systems . huge AV amps . spend days trying to hide the cables . mrs geting angry . LED TV & Sound bar are my go to now
Ironically Plasmas were the better tech for quite awhile. Just way too expensive to produce. But had the darkest Blacks and whitest Whites of all types of displays at the time. What still separates the men from the boys with displays. The Black and White saturation is key to any good display. I have a friend who still has his very old Plasma running in his Man Cave. They were tanks. And the most expensive at the time. Considered reference Displays at the time.
You missed my point..

IF we were to Abuse our refrigerators like the way some of us drive our Notorious or other rigs and it Fails after a few months then it's understandable.

However, I would bet nobody uses/"operates" their frig (in a residential environment) anywhere close to its Mechanical Limits to cause it to 'just fail' before or after said warranty period.

Quality is crap these days.
Planned obsolescence is by Design, if you ask me.
A compressor of all parts, should absolutely last the longest with any freezer or fridge. Should usually outlast all the other parts. It has no moving parts at that. Even a simple Line leak from poor QC can simulate a bad compressor diagnosis. FWIW. Techs want to make $$ on parts. A big markup with compressors.

That aside, one tip.....Window AC's have compressors also. If you remove and store your Window AC in the Off Season and the AC is flipped upside down or on its side when in storage, the Compressor will absolutely fail, if you immediately turn it on when it just sat upside down for months on end. A Compressor should never be stored if not Upright throughout its whole life. The oil inside doesn't distribute well over time when upside down or on its side. I've been to stores buying AC's and notice they are stacked upside down sometimes. Do not buy that one. All AC's need to be transported and stored upright. Right from the factory to the user. Hard to control that. Depends where you buy them. Home Depot is notorious for that. When I buy an AC I let it sit for a day or so "upright" before I turn it on. Leaving nothing to chance.
Its rare to see, but imagine a new boxed Fridge that is layed flat on its back for any duration, for whatever reason, the compressor would fail early on in theory. Same applies here.

Last edited:
You missed my point..

It is possible to abuse any fridge, while not even realizing it,
But I agree a Fridge is basically set and forget for the most part. You open and close it. If it is tightly placed with no air circulaltion where it can't breathe, that will cause issues down the road. They tend to run Warmer. Depends where the Cooling coils are located. vents are if any etc. Stuffing it with too much crap inside tightly is also no good. Putting Hot food inside is very bad also. My X was always guilty of that.

LG and Samsung are Korean companies. I have mixed experiences with both. My 10 year old LG plasma tv is literally my favorite tv to date. Samsung front loader washer is less than a year old. Works well, but WTF with the SUDS error and 4 hour self clean BS?!! I got a feeling I'll regret this one..every so many cyles the darned thing wants to do a 4 hour self cleaning cycle that uses straight hot water, can't bypass it as far as I know..
We have to have stackable washer/dryer due to space constraints. After we bought the house, we bought a new set of Frigidaire. Was basically the cheapest set HD had. Good for 10 years, washer started giving me troubles, tub suspension spring broke..$150 for a freakin spring!! Replaced it, 6 months later, broke again. I'm done. It's not the repair, it's getting to it. Dryer bolted to the washer, everything has to come out of the utility room to work on it..nope. I've repaired the dryer a few times too. Still working though.
Dishwasher is a Whirlpool, cheapest open box the appliance store had, $250. Been solid. Refrigeration is GE, hand me down from my in laws. They got an LG with their new house, my guess, my FIL will regret that, LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back