Class Action Lawsuit // Defective refrigerator compressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down that rabbit hole with plasma TVs / 5.1 home cinema systems . huge AV amps . spend days trying to hide the cables . mrs geting angry . LED TV & Sound bar are my go to now
Yeah I spent $11k on my complete Theater, 6.1. Whole home audio every room outside and all etc. Dennon multizone based, App controlled. All JBL flush mounted speakers. Klipsch Sub etc. Would I do it all again. Probably not. I like K.I.S.S. these days, with a nice Sound bar. And discrete Sub. Maybe Sonos based next time.

Ironically Plasmas were the better tech for quite awhile. Just way too expensive to produce. But had the darkest Blacks and whitest Whites of all types of displays at the time. What still separates the men from the boys with displays. The Black and White saturation is key to any good display. I have a friend who still has his very old Plasma running in his Man Cave. They were tanks. And the most expensive at the time. Considered reference Displays at the time.

Quality is crap these days.
Planned obsolescence is by Design, if you ask me.
A compressor of all parts, should absolutely last the longest with any freezer or fridge. Should usually outlast all the other parts. It has no moving parts at that. Even a simple Line leak from poor QC can simulate a bad compressor diagnosis. FWIW. Techs want to make $$ on parts. A big markup with compressors.

That aside, one tip.....Window AC's have compressors also. If you remove and store your Window AC in the Off Season and the AC is flipped upside down or on its side when in storage. Or the Compressor will absolutely fail, if you immediately turn it on when it just sat upside down for months on end. A Compressor should never be stored if not Upright throughout its whole life. The oil inside doesn't distribute well over time when upside down or on its side.

If yer gunna do a sound bar surround over hard wired surround, go listen to a Nakamicci shockwafe 9.2.4. Bout $1200 Sounds amazing for reference level movies.
Didnt know Nakamichi made sound bars remember them as the king of cassette decks.

That aside, one tip.....Window AC's have compressors also. If you remove and store your Window AC in the Off Season and the AC is flipped upside down or on its side when in storage, the Compressor will absolutely fail, if you immediately turn it on when it just sat upside down for months on end. A Compressor should never be stored if not Upright throughout its whole life. The oil inside doesn't distribute well over time when upside down or on its side. I've been to stores buying AC's and notice they are stacked upside down sometimes. Do not buy that one. All AC's need to be transported and stored upright. Right from the factory to the user. Hard to control that. Depends where you buy them. Home Depot is notorious for that. When I buy an AC I let it sit for a day or so "upright" before I turn it on. Leaving nothing to chance.
Its rare to see, but imagine a new boxed Fridge that is layed flat on its back for any duration, for whatever reason, the compressor would fail early on in theory. Same applies here.

If you set the compressor upright the oil will eventually migrate back to the compressor. Also if you heat up the compressor the oil will migrate back to the compressor. Though this does require the compressor to stay continuously warm.

In my industry there are crankcase heaters put onto heat pumps as the compressors run in very cold conditions in the winter time especially after the heat exchange at the condenser coil making the ambient at the compressor 10-15 degrees colder than the ambient outside.

Though this has had me thinking today. Most failures occur from improper application or improper maintenance.

I wonder if improper maintenance and or application could be the issue. This would include but may not be limited to putting the refrigerator into to tight of a cavity where there is no ventilation around the fridge to breath, not cleaning the dust off of it for a proper heat exchange, pushing the back of the fridge all the way up to wall where it causes the fridge to run hotter than normal. All of this can cause oil migration which leads to compressor failure which may be grounding or locked up compressors.

I always say a good HVAC company can install a bad system and make it work good but a bad company can install a good system and have nothing but issues.

Didnt know Nakamichi made sound bars remember them as the king of cassette decks.

Those Nakamichi Dragons..
They were State of the Art back in their days...
Screenshot_20231219-200729.png

Yeah Nakamichi (Japanese) tape decks were $reference stuff$, going years back. A gold standard for sure. Like back in the early 80's?? Don't know much about their current stuff.
Wow good memory there. (y) ;)

Last edited:
I had Alpine and Blaupunkt and a Pioneer Super Tuner. In single DIN Benzi Boxes. I made money installing Benzi boxes there for a while. Or your radio never stood a chance!!! It was a thing back when. Stealing them. Pull out the radio after you parked your car, you would carry it around with you. The Benzi box had a folding carry handle. Sucked. Sometimes just getting damaged lugging it around. ;) The tape deck Head would get all out of alignment.:ROFLMAO: Then they went to "Face plate" radios. Removing just the face. And stored in a case the size of an Eyeglass case. Still see them today.

Back in the day we had Alpine / kenwoood / Blaupukt . never seen a nok head unit .
Same, I had never seen them as an aftermarket unit.
Only offered in some Lexus cars as factory unit.

I had one in a past car and was not impressed, but I am sure they don't get to do what they want. The manufacturer Lexus in this case gives them some strict constraints on what they can put in.

I have the optional JBL radio in my Limited Highlander. All the car makers who brand their upgrade option radios are not really the brand they say. JBL just sells the license to the Car Mfr. And call it a JBL , Nakamichi or Harmon Kardon or whatever Option. So they sound slightly better than the standard car radio, maybe a sub and better/ more speakers/ tweeters etc. But they are far from the actual Brand they say it is. My Highlander JBL radio upgrade option is really Audiovox. I found the Audiovox labeled amp in the rear, buried inside the rear panel. Always felt the sound was too boomy no matter how you adjust it. The Mids being washed out no matter how you try to adjust the sound. Horrible. My neighbor has the same Highlander and year with the standard factory radio and his speakers and tweeters are identical Toyota part numbers and all. Yet my speaker grilles say JBL on them. His don't. What a ruse.......:mad:
Imagine that??? Last I heard, Audiovox is budget stuff.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
The only remotely close to upgrade radio that I ever saw in a car was a 1990's Nissan Maxima with the optional Bose system. My friend had it for a factory radio option item. Probably the best factory radio I ever heard. But the speakers would always blow out. And you can't swap in standard speakers. Bose speakers had many wires connecting to them. Not simply 2 wires. That was a nightmare for him.

edited.

Last edited:
We have an LG fridge. It’s 5 years old and is on its 3rd compressor and 2nd evaporator coil in the freezer. Fortunately, the local repair tech has been cool and I’ve only had to spend $400 in total so far. He said the compressors are garbage and he doesn’t know why they don’t change the design but they keep making them the exact same way.

We live in a townhome and the kitchen is on the second floor. The stairs are hardwood with a turn at the landing so getting a new one installed is more painful and frustrating than fixing what we have as long as it’s reasonable.

I have the optional JBL radio in my Limited Highlander. All the car makers who brand their upgrade option radios are not really the brand they say. JBL just sells the license to the Car Mfr. And call it a JBL , Nakamichi or Harmon Kardon or whatever Option. So they sound slightly better than the standard car radio, maybe a sub and better/ more speakers/ tweeters etc. But they are far from the actual Brand they say it is. My Highlander JBL radio upgrade option is really Audiovox. I found the Audiovox labeled amp in the rear, buried inside the rear panel. Always felt the sound was too boomy no matter how you adjust it. The Mids being washed out no matter how you try to adjust the sound. Horrible. My neighbor has the same Highlander and year with the standard factory radio and his speakers and tweeters are identical Toyota part numbers and all. Yet my speaker grilles say JBL on them. His don't. What a ruse.......:mad:
Imagine that??? Last I heard, Audiovox is budget stuff.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
The only remotely close to upgrade radio that I ever saw in a car was a 1990's Nissan Maxima with the optional Bose system. My friend had it for a factory radio option item. Probably the best factory radio I ever heard. But the speakers would always blow out. And you can't swap in standard speakers. Bose speakers had many wires connecting to them. Not simply 2 wires. That was a nightmare for him.

edited.
Have a Bose system in my 2007 Audi A6 S line the speakers are junk & you cant just swop them out for aftermarket upgrades . CD multi player takes up most of the space in the glove box . The left hand side trunk panel is full of Amps/ sound processors. was probably state of the art when new but crank it over half volume now and it sounds like a rave in a hornets nest

Have a Bose system in my 2007 Audi A6 S line the speakers are junk & you cant just swop them out for aftermarket upgrades . CD multi player takes up most of the space in the glove box . The left hand side trunk panel is full of Amps/ sound processors. was probably state of the art when new but crank it over half volume now and it sounds like a rave in a hornets nest
I have found there are 2 sorts of speakers out there:
1. Highly sensitive light weight paper cones that can run on lower wattage (like 5-15 watts). Sound good at low to mid volume, but will blow at high volume or overheat the voice coils easily due to the design.
2. High wattage design which supports better cooling but requires higher wattage to make them sound great.

It seems like many factory car audio systems fit into category #1
Aftermarket is almost always #2

Engineers like to obsess over details like system wattage to help the overall car. We pay the price with an audio system that craps out after 7 years of use.

Same, I had never seen them as an aftermarket unit.
Only offered in some Lexus cars as factory unit.

I had one in a past car and was not impressed, but I am sure they don't get to do what they want. The manufacturer Lexus in this case gives them some strict constraints on what they can put in.
Mfrs just design their own sound system and get the license to label it as a Mark Levinson Sound system, or whatever in their Cars. It isn't truly a M. Levinson designed product at all.

Last edited:
Yeah I spent $11k on my complete Theater, 6.1. Whole home audio every room outside and all etc. Dennon multizone based, App controlled. All JBL flush mounted speakers. Klipsch Sub etc. Would I do it all again. Probably not. I like K.I.S.S. these days, with a nice Sound bar. And discrete Sub. Maybe Sonos based next time.
Just purchased a Sonos arc, sub, and rear channel set up. Very pleased with the sound when compared to my component Dennon home theater system. Very easy to set up, no wires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back