Cost of RC bashing as a hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20190709_112134.jpg
    20190709_112134.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 40
I would say the cost of RC as a hobby is low to mid range as compared to say;
Fishing and Golf, A good rod and reel (fly, spin or casting) can easily cost $300+ plus lures and if you have a boat (Bust Out Another Thousand) Golf, a good set of clubs $500+ plus greens fees, club membership etc........

So I see RC as pretty cheap hobby :cool: What say you?
I would say as with a lot of hobbies, it’s as expensive as you make it, what your expectations are and what you decide to do with them. If you’re trying to beat a record launching into space type scenario then be prepared for initial outlay plus upgrades plus breakages, if you’re a crawler it depends there again on how extreme you wish to be, the cost of the truck, improvement and the odd breakage to be expected, if you buy a tough expensive vehicle and drive it like you bought it not stole it, do the odd jump and race a few mates then just the odd part wearing out and upkeep as in oils grease, and general maintenance, new batteries etc then i should say it’s low as you can be. I’m not saying drive it in a boring way just not extreme. That’s where the money goes.
It’s only an opinion and there are always exceptions. Oh and one more way the hobby can get expensive and I can agree from experience with this is, when 2-3-4 cars are not enough and you just gotta have the next one, and one and one ☝️ lol ? then it’s expensive

Last edited:
I Bought my first RC car 2 weeks ago. I bought the Outcast 6s 2019 edition. I got it Brand new for $490 which includes tax. That was a steal. Normal price $550 b4 tax. Was gonna get the Outcast 4s which was $399 b4 tax. Being since this is my first RC, I had to buy everything, chargers, batteries, battery storage bags, temp Gun, battery checker. So that was not cheap. On my first run, a broke a part. Damn, so now I had to spend more money... only like 8 bucks. Lol. But after that I joined the Arrma Forum and started watching more videos on my truck. Which got me to buy upgrades parts for my truck. So I would say with the RC Truck cost I'm about $1600 invested in to this RC Hobby. Damn and it's only been 2 weeks. I shouldn't need to buy any thing else for awhile... HOPEFULLY ?

Fishing and Golf, A good rod and reel (fly, spin or casting) can easily cost $300+ plus lures and if you have a boat (Bust Out Another Thousand) Golf, a good set of clubs $500+ plus greens fees, club membership etc........

I agree with you. But there are people that can bring it up a notch and re-do a RC with top of the line accessories & Mods ☝️Bring the cost to 500$ and up: Transmitter/Receiver, motor/Esc, Dual charger/ lipo batteries, chasis etc.......

Expensive is all relative. If my other hobby was diamond collecting, I'd say RC is inexpensive. Of my other hobby was button collecting, then I'd say it's expensive ?

If you bash with a tamiya on 2s or even a WLtoys, gently in your garden, it can be affordable. If you bash like Rick or Eric but without driving skill or like KT, then it can become expensive :LOL:

Good way of looking at it , I’ll use that to justify my Next RC Car ??

three Z28 camaro's and a 2SS/RS sitting in the shop out back , I'd have to say my rc toys are not to expensive LOL
It all comes down to disposable income. For me it's not expensive at all. But for others it's a major problem.

It all comes down to disposable income. For me it's not expensive at all. But for others it's a major problem.
Speaking of problem. I once came home and the ex wife had a diaper around one of my cars and had it buckled up in the car seat lol.

i have just over 200.00 dollars in 2 weeks my current hobby is off roading 2 jeep cherokee xj's. My last hobbie or life style was all kinds of Bicycling which in 10 years was probably 20k or 25k+ now i have a storage space full of bicycles and parts. Now on to RC cant wait to get a few more cars hsve the Team Associated rc12 and i love it. Good luck to everyone.

i have just over 200.00 dollars in 2 weeks my current hobby is off roading 2 jeep cherokee xj's. My last hobbie or life style was all kinds of Bicycling which in 10 years was probably 20k or 25k+ now i have a storage space full of bicycles and parts. Now on to RC cant wait to get a few more cars hsve the Team Associated rc12 and i love it. Good luck to everyone.
What part of the country do you reside?

North East as in New England and this hobbie is up to 2 now i just orderd a Traxxas rustler VXL
We hail from Michigan, if you ever make it this way we can go wheelin together.
We often pack our RC stuff with us take a break and bash or crawl right off the side of the trail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back