Bashing burnout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel you. PNW winters aren't the best for bashing. And this 30-40 degree weather with smearings of rain we have been getting feels like it will never end. Having grown up in the sunny midwest, this bites :ROFLMAO:

Having someone to run with definitely helps.

The guy i drive with and I found this empty abandoned parking lot and we've been going there to set up impromptu race tracks. That was good to shake things up, but if we repeat it too much it can still be boring. Definitely gotta have a good variety of places to cycle through so you don't get bored. That and having a variety of bashing types helps. Cycle from the big jumpers with a ramp to dirt bmx jumps to skatepark to parking lot bashing seems to help keep it interesting.

Oh, and crawling in the rain is not nearly as much fun as when its dry :rolleyes:
And that's why you also need a mud bogger! :LOL:

Maybe I'll get an RC submarine. It always be raining down there.

And that's why you also need a mud bogger! :LOL:

Maybe I'll get an RC submarine. It always be raining down there.
We seem to do alright at avoiding the mud. Skateparks tend to clear out when its it's raining (except for the few bozos that think that's a smart idea to go out then on their skateboards). So that's usually our go to. But then for some reason I seem to burn through parts much much quicker, and I haven't quite figured out why... :unsure:

In all seriousness, mud is fun but I loath the cleaning. Give me summer or give me death!

We seem to do alright at avoiding the mud. Skateparks tend to clear out when its it's raining (except for the few bozos that think that's a smart idea to go out then on their skateboards). So that's usually our go to. But then for some reason I seem to burn through parts much much quicker, and I haven't quite figured out why... :unsure:

In all seriousness, mud is fun but I loath the cleaning. Give me summer or give me death!
Yeah I'll pass on the mud. I barely even drive when it's wet out. I'm super anal retentive about bearings and the probability of coming home with a crunchy bearing is high which then forces me to pull all of the bearings and go through a full round of maintenance. And the tradeoff of 10mins driving for 2-3 hours of maintenance just doesn't pump my nads and the BLX185 hates water.

It happens, don’t sell em’ off just yet. It’s nice to have some variety. I tend switch it up. Sometimes I’m into bashing, sometimes I’m into speed, and sometimes I’m into my heli’s… It’s easy to burn out if you only focus on one aspect of the hobby.
This!! though it's pretty hard for me to get burned out from sending rigs but my spot is probably better than op spot. Getting into drones and on road rigs really helps to mix it up though.

GET A RAMP :ROFLMAO:

What German isn’t.. 🥸
true-shorty.gif

Yeah I'll pass on the mud. I barely even drive when it's wet out. I'm super anal retentive about bearings and the probability of coming home with a crunchy bearing is high which then forces me to pull all of the bearings and go through a full round of maintenance. And the tradeoff of 10mins driving for 2-3 hours of maintenance just doesn't pump my nads and the BLX185 hates water.
I actually kinda look up to people who are care-free about things like that. I'm the same about bearings. I open them all up before running them now, and stuff them with more grease. Either Lucas Red & Tacky, or Super Lube synthetic. They last longer for me by doing that so far. After breaking diffs in an E-Maxx because the input bearings failed after a couple of runs, I got fussy. Ran twice on my K6 now with no cleaning so far. I'm trying to re-learn to relax. Trying to tell myself it has bigger bearings than an inadequate, discontinued, outdated old RC. Especially those monster sized inner input bearings in the bulkheads.

Anybody else get burned out on bashing? I've hit a point where I've lost interest in running my Talion, Notorious and Stampede. They look and run awesome, but the bash spots I have are pretty boring and flat and there is only so much you can do with that. A couple of times lately I've had my batteries charged, rigs ready, drove to my spot, looked out and thought "never mind" and go home. 🤷‍♂️

I still love my Typhon for some occasional street bashing. The others are cool and if I had some good spots to bash I'm sure I'd feel different. There are 3 or 4 places that I've found that look awesome but they are at least 25 minutes away. Thing is if I'm going to drive further than 5-10 minutes for RC stuff I'd rather take my crawlers. I wasn't a big crawler fan when I got my first one, but the more I mess with them the more I like them. Even thought about selling my offroad bashers and buying more crawlers. Am I turning into a crawler guy? :unsure: 🤣

Maybe I'm just cranky and tired of cold/wet PNW weather and I'll feel different in a month or 2.🤣 Anyway, just wondering if others have gone through similar things. 😎
I get bummed about bashing/running them because of the constant rain here in Michigan. The second it dries at all....rain again. All year. Even rains in the winter now. Past 4-5 years. Rain. There's definitely something wrong with the climate. This whole world feels different to me. Like it's reverberating a bad energy into the entire universe. This whole contextualization. I can't explain it, but something isn't right.

Last edited:
Well if the weather forecast doesn't change, it looks like we might dry out enough to bash next week. Gonna do some driving around looking for new spots.

I've got a little ramp I built but its too short for the Talion XL, rear end hits full compression as the front tires are launching, not good.🤣 should work fine with the Notorious though, its been so wet Ive barely run it since I built it in December 🤨 might be a good way to shake off the burnout.😎

On a side note, cant help but wonder if some were disappointed opening this thread, with that "bashing burnout" title expecting to see some smoking tires...🤣

Anybody else get burned out on bashing? I've hit a point where I've lost interest in running my Talion, Notorious and Stampede. They look and run awesome, but the bash spots I have are pretty boring and flat and there is only so much you can do with that. A couple of times lately I've had my batteries charged, rigs ready, drove to my spot, looked out and thought "never mind" and go home. 🤷‍♂️

I still love my Typhon for some occasional street bashing. The others are cool and if I had some good spots to bash I'm sure I'd feel different. There are 3 or 4 places that I've found that look awesome but they are at least 25 minutes away. Thing is if I'm going to drive further than 5-10 minutes for RC stuff I'd rather take my crawlers. I wasn't a big crawler fan when I got my first one, but the more I mess with them the more I like them. Even thought about selling my offroad bashers and buying more crawlers. Am I turning into a crawler guy? :unsure: 🤣

Maybe I'm just cranky and tired of cold/wet PNW weather and I'll feel different in a month or 2.🤣 Anyway, just wondering if others have gone through similar things. 😎
Yeah bro, you just need some vitamin D from the sun!! In the meantime, take some supplements, LOL.

I actually kinda look up to people who are care-free about things like that. I'm the same about bearings. I open them all up before running them now, and stuff them with more grease. Either Lucas Red & Tacky, or Super Lube synthetic. They last longer for me by doing that so far. After breaking diffs in an E-Maxx because the input bearings failed after a couple of runs, I got fussy. Ran twice on my K6 now with no cleaning so far. I'm trying to re-learn to relax. Trying to tell myself it has bigger bearings than an inadequate, discontinued, outdated old RC. Especially those monster sized inner input bearings in the bulkheads.
This works! Superlube synthetic for the win.

I have had some smaller 3S bearings last longer than they should have on this treatment as well. Have you figured out a way to get the rubber seals off without damaging them?

Still looking for that amazing tool to get the seals off that does not exist yet... I have tried tiny razor blades, mini screw drivers, dental picks, and one I made my self.. Getting better but an edge usually gets marred a little. I tried to enlist the crafty forum members to make one and put me on the prototype list. :cool:

I love me some snow bashing! Only time it's worth getting my rc's wet, in rain, there's almost always mud, gravel or grass.. I hate cleaning mud from an rc. Bearings? Eh, at about a buck a piece, I just replace as needed. I can understand needing the least resistance when speed running, but for bashing no big deal to me.
I did buy a complete set of TRBRC bearings for my Xmaxx last winter, first and likely only time I'll do that. Easier to just buy sleeves of the most common failure bearings I feel.. seems some bearings hardly ever fail. On the set I bought for the Xmaxx, I pulled all the seals, then hand packed them right full of red HT grease. Think I over packed them..there were globs of grease around every bearing for quite some time, LOL. I guess it worked, has been over a year now, with many packs through the truck since I put them in. Dusty clay, snow, mud.. as far as I know they're still smooth. Each time I have to pull something apart, the bearings are still spinning smoothly.

Bored Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Maybe shoot for a goal that is hard like a tripple flip or something. Figure out a way to make it interesting again.
Why do I feel like this sounds like a late night infomercial: "Feeling bored with your RCs? Wishing you had more excitement while bashing? Are you looking to spice up your relationship with your RCs??? Then look no further than the new RC-enhancing drug that's sweeping the RC community by storm!"

I love me some snow bashing! Only time it's worth getting my rc's wet, in rain, there's almost always mud, gravel or grass.. I hate cleaning mud from an rc.

For me, the mud isn't too bad. The type of dirt here tends to wash off super easy, usually a couple of runs through a big puddle will get most of it off. My problem is 2 of my spots the puddles get way too big and stay that way most of the time November through March. The spots aren't that big anyway so makes them feel even smaller. The other spot gets this very thin, VERY slick coat of green algae on the surface, more like driving on wet ice and then the algae gets slung all over the inside of the rig and is a pain to clean. 🤮🤣

Took the wife with me to one of my favorite bashing spots. She found a puddle and hollered at me and said look. It goes all the way under the water. I said stop doing that. It’s not a submarine. She was driving the O8S 😒

Hell

I wish I could get burned out. I have an empty house with children who are all adults. I am blessed to have some funds to buy at will, but hell if I can find the free time. I do a lot of community outreach, prison mentoring to inmates, and other ministry things, so my schedule is full, not to exclude work.

I long to bash, but as much free time as I have, I am committed to helping others. It takes priority over my rigs!

😥

Been dismal over here in the northeast too. Everything is soggy, or under water. We tend to have clay "gumbo" for mud.. funny, while I have no reservations about taking my rc's out in the snow, I've never used running water to clean mud off them. 🤷‍♂️How much difference could it make ? 🤔 LOL. Well, in terms of cleanup, a lot I bet!! I usually let the mud dry, then beat, brush and blow with compressed air.. it's an entensive process. I'm going to start using a garden hose with light pressure while still wet..
As to burnout, definitely, but to me it's more like crappy weather blues than burnout. I mean the disire to bash is there, but weather has been crap all winter here. New places to bash would make it more exciting for sure though!

You're definitely not alone brother!!

Hell

I wish I could get burned out. I have an empty house with children who are all adults. I am blessed to have some funds to buy at will, but hell if I can find the free time. I do a lot of community outreach, prison mentoring to inmates, and other ministry things, so my schedule is full, not to exclude work.

I long to bash, but as much free time as I have, I am committed to helping others. It takes priority over my rigs!

😥
A good man indeed you are! I have the opposite, well sort of. Empty nesters here, plenty of time, zero cash flow. Would be great if I could take advantage of the bad weather by repairing or rebuilding rc's. Home improvements too, but, not happening. At 53, I've no desire or motorvation to go looking for a new career or second job. Boohoo right?😂🍻

Last edited:
A good man indeed you are! I have the opposite, well sort of. Empty nesters here, plenty of time, zero cash flow. Would be great if I could take advantage of the bad weather by repairing or rebuilding rc's. Home improvements too, but, not happening. At 53, I've no desire or motorvation to go looking for a new career or second job. Boohoo right?😂🍻

Feel you on that...

51 and a long way from retirement on whatever that looks like. 25 years at the job, and it would be hard if I were to change. I am Sr. Infrastructure Engineer Manager for all of North America for my company. I've been in management for so long, and these new guys I hire are so sharp on new tech. Been on the other side of the desk now for so long, you lose it if you are not using it. I just do not have the energy to learn or get any more NEW certifications or demands to stay up on new tech, so if I get pushed out, it would be hard!

Yeah, home work to do....that list is tall here as well

(y)

Back