Defiant’s XMAXX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to find a tire/wheel combo that "looks" as good as stock without either costing a fortune, or being too heavy.. I agree, not digging the look of those rovans on there.
Even the backflips look funny once the axles are extended..
My biggest gripe with stock TRX is the wheels..they're so weak and thin. The lack of any tire sidewall on the inside doesn't help either..no cushion when the truck hits a rock. Then the disappearing foams..they just turn to dust..
Exactly! It’s always a compromise there isn’t a perfect solution :(

Have you tried the new sledgehammers?

Exactly! It’s always a compromise there isn’t a perfect solution :(

Have you tried the new sledgehammers?
No, I haven't. I love the tread design and compound(hoss), but the 8s sledgehammers look to be using the same wheels as original 8s X.. not gonna do it for me.
That inside sidewall of the TRX wheel/tire combo are what I'm trying to get rid of..
Low pro tires and wheels don't belong on off road vehicles, period. Always gonna have problems with breaking wheels and cutting tires.

I've been looking at the M2C extended axles. Too much extension IMO. The X looks silly that wide to me. Then you still have to buy either adapter nuts elsewhere, or pony up another $50 plus for M2C's 24mm hubs..ughh..it never ends.

No, I haven't. I love the tread design and compound(hoss), but the 8s sledgehammers look to be using the same wheels as original 8s X.. not gonna do it for me.
That inside sidewall of the TRX wheel/tire combo are what I'm trying to get rid of..
Low pro tires and wheels don't belong on off road vehicles, period. Always gonna have problems with breaking wheels and cutting tires.

I've been looking at the M2C extended axles. Too much extension IMO. The X looks silly that wide to me. Then you still have to buy either adapter nuts elsewhere, or pony up another $50 plus for M2C's 24mm hubs..ughh..it never ends.
Brett makes 10mm extended hubs that’ll clear the Backflips. I may go that route

Brett makes 10mm extended hubs that’ll clear the Backflips. I may go that route
Thats WFO right? 10mm sounds perfect to me. I know many want more stability hence the M2C +15mm. Problem I have is I want to retain as much of the stock steering that the X has, but still run "better" wheels/tires.
The other issue that muddies the water is that TRX uses course thread 12mm nuts and stub axles, so when we look at aftermarket we have to know what they are using, fine or course thread..most rc manufacturers use fine thread axle hardware, but, then theirs TRX marching to a different beat!!🤔🤣
Thats WFO right? 10mm sounds perfect to me. I know many want more stability hence the M2C +15mm. Problem I have is I want to retain as much of the stock steering that the X has, but still run "better" wheels/tires.
The other issue that muddies the water is that TRX uses course thread 12mm nuts and stub axles, so when we look at aftermarket we have to know what they are using, fine or course thread..most rc manufacturers use fine thread axle hardware, but, then theirs TRX marching to a different beat!!🤔🤣
TBH, most don't seem to have an issue with the TRX Xmaxx stock wheels..I however have broken 2 of them now..likely due to jumping in below freezing temps. But wtf, none of my other rigs have broken wheels. This includes Corally,Arrma,Redcat ect. Soo.. I'm getting rid of the TRX wheels. Shame, the tires aren't even worn yet..

Last edited:
It's hard to find a tire/wheel combo that "looks" as good as stock without either costing a fortune, or being too heavy.. I agree, not digging the look of those rovans on there.
Even the backflips look funny once the axles are extended..
My biggest gripe with stock TRX is the wheels..they're so weak and thin. The lack of any tire sidewall on the inside doesn't help either..no cushion when the truck hits a rock. Then the disappearing foams..they just turn to dust..
So far for me personally ando the stock wheelbase Xmaxx, the Duratrax lockups x have been the best. Not too heavy and only $100 a set. I just have to reglue them once in a while 👍

So far for me personally ando the stock wheelbase Xmaxx, the Duratrax lockups x have been the best. Not too heavy and only $100 a set. I just have to reglue them once in a while 👍
Glad to hear👍 I know you run em pretty hard so, that's good info!
I've been pretty impressed by Arrmas tires and wheels so far, which is why I decided on the 8s backflips. $100 shipped from JRC.
I am intrigued by the Rovan tires as well, they're even cheaper..just not sure how they hold up to 8s since the Rovan rigs are all gas powered. Don't think they have the power of brushless? IDK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144337515646?hash=item219b2fb47e:g:pAEAAOSwwbVhv1i6

I have the standard length version but these work great with backflips. I’ve contacted him I’m just waiting on black to be in stock. So nice how they bolt together vs that annoying clip that shoots across the room if you even look at it funny

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144337515646?hash=item219b2fb47e:g:pAEAAOSwwbVhv1i6

I have the standard length version but these work great with backflips. I’ve contacted him I’m just waiting on black to be in stock. So nice how they bolt together vs that annoying clip that shoots across the room if you even look at it funny
Those look nice! Thanks for linking them👍
So, these are upgrades for stock right? To run Arrma 8s or similar, I still need adapter type wheel nuts to fill the gap between TRX 12mm wheel center to Arrma 18mm wheel?
This is the shop making the ones WFO is selling, correct? I do like the steel axles for sure!! Can't beat steel for strength 💪

Those look nice! Thanks for linking them👍
So, these are upgrades for stock right? To run Arrma 8s or similar, I still need adapter type wheel nuts to fill the gap between TRX 12mm wheel center to Arrma 18mm wheel?
This is the shop making the ones WFO is selling, correct? I do like the steel axles for sure!! Can't beat steel for strength 💪
Yes these are for stock style wheels, which is why I’m using the rc monster wheel nuts. And yea I believe he has a deal with wfo not too sure though

Yes these are for stock style wheels, which is why I’m using the rc monster wheel nuts. And yea I believe he has a deal with wfo not too sure though
Cool, thanks for all the help bro👍 Really appreciated!! Been going through my X, checking things over. Mind you mine is practically new, got it at xmas. Had this squeal coming from somewhere..seized front diff outdrive bearing..
Guess there is something to be said about running in snow..haha. nothing an overnight bath in oil couldn't cure..I would replace but don't have THAT size yet. Packed them all with Superlube for now. Good stuff, we use it at work to prevent shafts from seizing together.

Cool, thanks for all the help bro👍 Really appreciated!! Been going through my X, checking things over. Mind you mine is practically new, got it at xmas. Had this squeal coming from somewhere..seized front diff outdrive bearing..
Guess there is something to be said about running in snow..haha. nothing an overnight bath in oil couldn't cure..I would replace but don't have THAT size yet. Packed them all with Superlube for now. Good stuff, we use it at work to prevent shafts from seizing together.
I’ve ran mine in snow, was super fun but it killed my stock esc. “Waterproof” haha

I only do dry runs now mostly pavement but it’s been a while due to all the repairs/upgrades.
One things for sure, when you pop wheelies down a whole city block at 40+ the whole neighborhood is amused 😁

I’d recommend Jim’s bearings, he goes on sale periodically.

Glad to hear👍 I know you run em pretty hard so, that's good info!
I've been pretty impressed by Arrmas tires and wheels so far, which is why I decided on the 8s backflips. $100 shipped from JRC.
I am intrigued by the Rovan tires as well, they're even cheaper..just not sure how they hold up to 8s since the Rovan rigs are all gas powered. Don't think they have the power of brushless? IDK
I've only cracked like two rims after two years of ownership of the Duratrax tires. One of them was hitting a curb head on at full speed with the Xmaxx 🤣

I've only cracked like two rims after two years of ownership of the Duratrax tires. One of them was hitting a curb head on at full speed with the Xmaxx 🤣
No curbs where I'm from..rocks, roots and trees. I'm gonna hit one of em inevitably !!😮🤣😃!!
My stock wheels and tires are still usable, but no more cold weather bash for them..

1765A8B6-8626-4346-B735-FE45CF595CD9.jpeg

Servo adapter showed up today

DD2A57C6-51BD-41AD-AB06-E59571818AE6.jpeg

First time trying anything from M2C, this mount system looks great so far though

D511F573-8ABA-4AB7-A070-0860776ABC2E.jpeg

I also got these Raven springs to try out if the Prolines end up being too soft

View attachment 205302
Servo adapter showed up today

View attachment 205303
First time trying anything from M2C, this mount system looks great so far though

View attachment 205304

I also got these Raven springs to try out if the Prolines end up being too soft
Sweet! I noticed you had the preload cranked down in a previous pic. I thought, damn, you must like speed running? I'll def check out those springs. I've never owned any M2C either.
I saw you were looking for some backflip 8s in classifieds, any luck? Haven't tried mine yet.

Sweet! I noticed you had the preload cranked down in a previous pic. I thought, damn, you must like speed running? I'll def check out those springs. I've never owned any M2C either.
I saw you were looking for some backflip 8s in classifieds, any luck? Haven't tried mine yet.
My truck is very heavy and sags in the rear that’s why I tried taking out some weight and running thicker shock oil. But people say the proline springs are still too soft for big motor setups and Raven put these springs on sale due to it being a new product so had to have them!

My truck is very heavy and sags in the rear that’s why I tried taking out some weight and running thicker shock oil. But people say the proline springs are still too soft for big motor setups and Raven put these springs on sale due to it being a new product so had to have them!
I tried the Duperbash body reinforcement..problem is, I used what I had(1/4 lexan)..quite heavy. Think he used 1.5mm kydex.. so my rear suspension is cranked down now too. Found a nice sized piece of 1/8 lexan I'm gonna try.
Fyi, JRC has backflip 8s in stock. JRC for 5% off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-075622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-075622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
D4EE7B3D-08C6-4E64-A489-501FBAD41B73.jpeg

87FBB8BA-FB22-4E61-B798-7D41F82F311F.jpeg

Put in the proper “fluid”

A46F0B56-F379-4117-8EDC-C688AF8BDA70.jpeg

8B3B005B-CE11-46DC-82A0-E40A945A68ED.jpeg

M2C motor mount is sick and the chassis brace is STIFF I can definitely notice the difference. Not to mention the fit and finish is excellent. I ordered the motor end support brace to match
DD49EE7F-0C4D-46E8-A872-D5DA295AE9A0.jpeg

I’ve been seeing enough negative comments on the rpm front carriers that I changed my mind and spent the money on 7737X carriers and I guess I’ll keep the rpm ones as spare
7D129FBE-0FAD-4A2B-89F0-9E758F042833.jpeg

C5A85F59-CE68-487A-8456-D8DC73C42FDB.jpeg

Progress has been good lately but still lots left to do..

View attachment 205671
View attachment 205672

Put in the proper “fluid”

View attachment 205673
View attachment 205674
M2C motor mount is sick and the chassis brace is STIFF I can definitely notice the difference. Not to mention the fit and finish is excellent. I ordered the motor end support brace to match
View attachment 205675
I’ve been seeing enough negative comments on the rpm front carriers that I changed my mind and spent the money on 7737X carriers and I guess I’ll keep the rpm ones as spare
View attachment 205676

View attachment 205677
Progress has been good lately but still lots left to do..
Wow! Sick bro! She's gonna fly🤘 Looks niiice!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back