FAILED 3D Prints : Let's see what you've got.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason why they didn't send you 4 Equal spacers?
Yes. The 16mm spacer is supposed to go to the corner where the “cord” (sorry bad terminology) connects to the bed. The company actually sent me (4) 18mm to begin with. When I asked them about this they said one is supposed to be 16mm so they sent me out an extra set. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yes. The 16mm spacer is supposed to go to the corner where the “cord” (sorry bad terminology) connects to the bed. The company actually sent me (4) 18mm to begin with. When I asked them about this they said one is supposed to be 16mm so they sent me out an extra set. 🤷‍♂️

Hmm...
That's interesting..
Because I didn't notice my heater bed cable/connection being in the way of the spring in anyway.
I guess I have to take another closer look at it ,later today.

But, no matter the case..
I'd imagine it would be Better to give you Four EQUAL Silicone spacers** and then give you an .STL "shim(s)" file to allow you to print -if any needed- to get those all raised to the same elevation..

** So if you ever needed to replace those silicone spacers ,you're not forced to try to hunt down an odd ball size/height..

Last edited:
What did you learn today Mike
I learned what's too thick of a layer setting. Poor Benchy never had a chance.

IMG_20230407_160535.jpg
IMG_20230407_160542.jpg

What nozzle? Stock .4?
Yup fixed it now to 0.28mm layer 60mm feed.

IMG_20230407_173809.jpg

This one was 0.1mm and 50mm feed.
IMG_20230407_091006.jpg

Trying to figure out what setting are really good and what setting are very course, but still usable.

Both look very good! Your benchys are great, you sure you haven’t printed before?
Only on a Hewlett Packard.
My background is machining and cnc so that probably helps a bit.

Also didn't hurt that I had you walking me through a lot.

E steps and xyz were good btw.👍

Only on a Hewlett Packard.
My background is machining and cnc so that probably helps a bit.

Also didn't hurt that I had you walking me through a lot.

E steps and xyz were good btw.👍
Perfect! Glad to hear I could help, I’ll help as much as I can! I’m a metal fabricator, but not on the cnc side, I’m hands on, welding, sanding, cutting, pacivating, that type of stuff. Let me know if you need anything else.

Perfect! Glad to hear I could help, I’ll help as much as I can! I’m a metal fabricator, but not on the cnc side, I’m hands on, welding, sanding, cutting, pacivating, that type of stuff. Let me know if you need anything else.
I'll hold you to that. 👍😁👍
I've done my fair share of fabrication too. Can stick,mig, and tig (a bit).
Also some experience sheet metal fabrication. Benders/stretchers, English wheel, bead rollers etc.
No idea what pacivation is though?

I'll hold you to that. 👍😁👍
I've done my fair share of fabrication too. Can stick,mig, and tig (a bit).
Also some experience sheet metal fabrication. Benders/stretchers, English wheel, bead rollers etc.
No idea what pacivation is though?
Yup. We do all the metal parts for Tiara Yachts. Those bow rails are quite a sight on the benders.

Pacivation is a process to take the color out of metal, or restore it to the original grey. We use it to make weld marks nonexistent. Some uses extend to cleaning metal, like the underside of a car. Uses a TIG brush, acid, and a neutralizer. It’s sweet!
63D1DE26-CB7F-4571-AD57-183636EACD4E.png

Two failures today, first one is warping/initial layer adhesion, its safe to assume this was the second ones issue as well before it began to attempt to form the blob of death.

View attachment 291269

View attachment 291270

You may want to try to add some AntiWarpingTabs to those parts' corners ,to help control that problem.
It really helps.

AND, from the looks of it... You probably want to check & re-adjust your X-axis carriage rollers... Loosen them up a bit.
They are getting worn down (kind of badly).

You can check by manually sliding the carriage back & forth and see if you feel any hanging/binding/clunking spots... along the rail.
& run your finger along the top railing. There's a layer of rubber dust that's worn off from your rollers.

Last edited:
There's about 7 parts on that build plate.

I'm breaking them down into individual parts and have one on the printer atm with a raft. Will see if that helps. I was being a bit ambitious with 7 at once without fully dialling in a new material.

Back