FAILED 3D Prints : Let's see what you've got.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home to this masterpiece

View attachment 290302

Bored Modern Art GIF by unimpressionism

Thank goodness it didn't get over to the BLtouch probe!

And, looks like you're saved by the silicone sock.. šŸ‘Œ

Bored Modern Art GIF by unimpressionism

Thank goodness it didn't get over to the BLtouch probe!

And, looks like you're saved by the silicone sock.. šŸ‘Œ
Yes it peeled right off with the casualty of a sock but I have like 20 spares we are all good in the hood

Minimum travel- 1.5 mm

Do you mean combing? That would be not in skin.

Z hop- 5.0
YOU FOUND ITšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I HIT RETRACTION ON ACCIDENT AND I HAD IT OFFšŸ˜‚
Iā€™m guessing that meant too much filament build up.

What do you mean by filament being ā€œstrippedā€?

HATCHBOX black PLA
Should I have retract at layer change too?
That minimum travel retraction distance is ok.. but it does cause a lot of retractions, on this model I would up that number to about 10mm to minimize repeated retractions in a very short time..

Yes, combing.(these are travels). not in skin is fine.. or you can choose within infill..

Z hop, way way to large 1mm max, I run anywhere between .3-.8 .. that's a lot of movement for the z axis to deal with and end up back where it started..

Well, it can be troublesome to have no retraction in a large model like that.. but it is usually seen in the start of a layer by means of lack of filament extrusion...

Just like a gear, the filament is broached with teeth marks from the feeder, you will see stripped spots in the fed filament.. it's a dead give away if you pull it and look at it.. it will hog through half the filament diameter if it's stuck and stripping the filament.. That would be a clear indicator there is a issue in the hot end... Wether it's clogging, or having an issue with cooling the heat break..

Retract at layer change, yeah you can turn that on..

I'm assuming your at a .2 layer height by the looks of them?.. what kind of speed are you printing this at? And what temp?

That minimum travel retraction distance is ok.. but it does cause a lot of retractions, on this model I would up that number to about 10mm to minimize repeated retractions in a very short time..

Yes, combing.(these are travels). not in skin is fine.. or you can choose within infill..

Z hop, way way to large 1mm max, I run anywhere between .3-.8 .. that's a lot of movement for the z axis to deal with and end up back where it started..

Well, it can be troublesome to have no retraction in a large model like that.. but it is usually seen in the start of a layer by means of lack of filament extrusion...

Just like a gear, the filament is broached with teeth marks from the feeder, you will see stripped spots in the fed filament.. it's a dead give away if you pull it and look at it.. it will hog through half the filament diameter if it's stuck and stripping the filament.. That would be a clear indicator there is a issue in the hot end... Wether it's clogging, or having an issue with cooling the heat break..

Retract at layer change, yeah you can turn that on..

I'm assuming your at a .2 layer height by the looks of them?.. what kind of speed are you printing this at? And what temp?
Sorry, my z hop speed was 5mm/s. It was off. Stupid beginner mistakesšŸ¤¦
Iā€™m turning it on to .4
60mm/s, 40mm/s for outer wall.
200c nozzle, 60c bed.
.28 layer height.

Last edited:
Sorry, my z hop speed was 5mm/s. It was off. Stupid beginner mistakesšŸ¤¦
Iā€™m turning it on to .4
60mm/s, 40mm/s for outer wall.
200c nozzle, 60c bed.
.28 layer height.

What nozzle diameter?.. .6? Or .4?

Z hop speed should be in the 30-40mm range..

Thanks for helping me and continuing to help!

I would suggest lowering your layer height to no more than half the nozzle diameter, typically the rule of thumb..

it may be as simple as the hot end can't move enough plastic for the demand required at those speeds..

To test this you can pull the layers down to .2...

Lower your infill and outer wall speed to like
40 - 30

or increase your hot end temps to around 210-220c and leave all else alone..

For large objects like this that really don't require a "good" surface finish, I'd move to a .6 or .8 nozzle diameter.. run half the dia. For layer height, and run in the 205-210c range at your listed speeds.. it would also be done twice as fast or faster as your original projected print time ..šŸ‘..

I would suggest lowering your layer height to no more than half the nozzle diameter, typically the rule of thumb..

it may be as simple as the hot end can't move enough plastic for the demand required at those speeds..

To test this you can pull the layers down to .2...

Lower your infill and outer wall speed to like
40 - 30

or increase your hot end temps to around 210-220c and leave all else alone..

For large objects like this that really don't require a "good" surface finish, I'd move to a .6 or .8 nozzle diameter.. run half the dia. For layer height, and run in the 205-210c range at your listed speeds.. it would also be done twice as fast or faster as your original projected print time ..šŸ‘..
Ok. Iā€™ve used this profile many times and never had issues, and itā€™s honestly doesnā€™t seem like that is right. Itā€™s pushing out so much filament at these layers that it is hitting the printed part. Iā€™ll up my temp and try again, because Iā€™ve never had an issue with .28
Thanks for the tip on .6/.8, I may just order one tonight

Ok. Iā€™ve used this profile many times and never had issues, and itā€™s honestly doesnā€™t seem like that is right. Itā€™s pushing out so much filament at these layers that it is hitting the printed part. Iā€™ll up my temp and try again, because Iā€™ve never had an issue with .28
Thanks for the tip on .6/.8, I may just order one tonight

So that is kind of what I'm getting at, mass volume.. smaller models would be far less volume being moved...not a ton of time for the plastic to be heated, creates a ton of hydraulic pressure in the hot end.. could be why your seeing so much plastic, excessive pressure...

Did you check the filament for stripping?

So that is kind of what I'm getting at, mass volume.. smaller models would be far less volume being moved...not a ton of time for the plastic to be heated, creates a ton of hydraulic pressure in the hot end.. could be why your seeing so much plastic, excessive pressure...

Did you check the filament for stripping?
Ohhh. That makes much more sense. Sorry for my oblivious response. Like this?

image.jpg

Ohhh. That makes much more sense. Sorry for my oblivious response. Like this?

View attachment 290486

That does look good.. no obvious bulge.. and no stripping.. šŸ¤”... is that the same chunk of filament that was directly after the failure?..

Well, it failed again. Even earlier too! But the culprit wasnā€™t what we thought. The bed springs are held in by those 4 wheels. They all fell completely off. Time for loctite! Oops. Now I have to relevel the bed

Very interesting.. that would do it for sure.. glad you found the issue

Only 30 min to go as well

1AAD55A6-9369-4B27-8ED5-8C8A09FAD5B8.jpeg

The bed springs are held in by those 4 wheels. They all fell completely off. Time for loctite! Oops. Now I have to relevel the bed
I was having issues with the wheels moving as well. I ended up buying some silicone spacers like these https://a.co/d/c7F54bC. Have only had them move barely since putting them on.

280089DD-1CC7-42B5-BB40-0B5D764CCD2B.jpeg

Only 30 min to go as well

View attachment 290589

I was having issues with the wheels moving as well. I ended up buying some silicone spacers like these https://a.co/d/c7F54bC. Have only had them move barely since putting them on.

View attachment 290590
Is that like the exact ones? Check my thread about my new printerā€¦ itā€™s in the 3d print section. Read my most recent post.
Machine is broke, will be out of commission for a couple days as warranty replaces.

I donā€™t wanna mess with them again!

Is that like the exact ones? Check my thread about my new printerā€¦ itā€™s in the 3d print section. Read my most recent post.
Machine is broke, will be out of commission for a couple days as warranty replaces.

I donā€™t wanna mess with them again!
Iā€™m sorry about your printer. šŸ˜” Thatā€™s really sucks. I hope you can get I back up and running quickly.
I hope crealtiy takes care of you like they did with me. My s1 pro SD card slot was broken when I received it. I contacted Creality and the Amazon seller and I think they both sent me out a motherboard for replacement as I received 2. šŸ˜‰

In regards to the spacers those are the exact ones I purchased. Comes with (3)18mm spacers and (1) 16mm spacer.

Iā€™m sorry about your printer. šŸ˜” Thatā€™s really sucks. I hope you can get I back up and running quickly.
I hope crealtiy takes care of you like they did with me. My s1 pro SD card slot was broken when I received it. I contacted Creality and the Amazon seller and I think they both sent me out a motherboard for replacement as I received 2. šŸ˜‰

In regards to the spacers those are the exact ones I purchased. Comes with (3)18mm spacers and (1) 16mm spacer.
Thanks!

Is there a reason why they didn't send you 4 Equal spacers?

Back