Fireteam Fireteam max6 4985 combo or max5 56113 combo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soheilmd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
Im thinking to upgrade my Fireteam but not sure which combo to choose.
I am not a real basher, more some offroad, grass rider. Not gonna make big jumps or skatepark bash. Main goal is speed and power.
Now im not sure what combo to choose. Wil the diffs survive the max5 combo? And wil it fit ?

That 56113 combo would be like putting a V12 in a motorcycle. It would require modification (motor mount, shocks, springs, drivetrain) and would completely ruin the handling. Stay away.

The 4985 is very powerful and is the right choice here.

That 56113 combo would be like putting a V12 in a motorcycle. It would require modification (motor mount, shocks, springs, drivetrain) and would completely ruin the handling. Stay away.

Thanks for the advise.
i have the max5 combo in my kraton 8S EXB and its a beast, thats why i was thinking of this combo…

Understood no max5! ;)

For the 4985 i have the option max8 or max6. Is the max8 good enough or is the max6 the one to choose?

I’m running the Max6/4985 and on full throttle it wants to wheelie. Measured it on 84mk/u (17T pinion) on (dune) sand last bash day.
I don’t think you would want even more power😎.

84km/h is nice Should be 100+ on tarmac. Have you got any idea what you did stock? And how is the temperature with the 17 pinion?

if you really wanted to go big block in the fireteam the hobbywing 1100kv would be better than the 800kv since it's smaller and lighter with better kv. it's possible if you want to do it and the drive train will hold up. You might need to upgrade drivecups faster but that's about it.

the only thing that makes the big block combo a questionable idea is the weight but if you aren't sending it then that's irrelevant. I ran big block in my ft and it was great until I wanted to jump. The max6 combo is the standard combo for the rig though which is why everyone told you to just do that instead. 😎 👍

84km/h is nice Should be 100+ on tarmac. Have you got any idea what you did stock? And how is the temperature with the 17 pinion?
Nope, I never ran the stock electronics. The temps are good, but I also run dual fans which I turn on when ambient temps are starting to get higher and start using the power a lot. Otherwise it’s fine without the fans running.
Edit: I do upgrade motor bearings, so I’m not it that affects temps.

Yup. Overkill, too much weight, too much torque. That bigger motor would destroy the diffs too, blow bearings like crazy etc.

Im thinking to upgrade my Fireteam but not sure which combo to choose.
I am not a real basher, more some offroad, grass rider. Not gonna make big jumps or skatepark bash. Main goal is speed and power.
Now im not sure what combo to choose. Wil the diffs survive the max5 combo? And wil it fit ?
Stay with 6s lipos and the diffs will survive much better. The FT is already a heavy girl. The heaviest 6s that Arrma has.
Why add another 2+ pounds to it?????:unsure: A Max 5???????
A Max 6 is fine, but run it with a 1650kv-1700 motor on 6s and gear it correctly to suit. You said you are not bashing it hard or sending it. Why go with all those big Coke can motors on 8s. I don't think you have mastered 6s and your FT enough to understand it better. Especially if you never experimented with Different Pinion gears and dialed in the all the diffs much better, at the very least.
How it is first done for more speed or torque with what you have in front of you. Have you dialed in the ESC Parameters yet?
Don't plan on making this any speed runner. The wrong platform for that. A top heavy fat girl she is.:ROFLMAO:
Max 5 combo is the wrong approach. Check its specs better, dimensions etc. Wrong direction you are going, whether you have the coin to burn or not. Tossing in another $1k in just electrics is silly here. Just invest/ buy a Lim/Infr with that money, if the speed bug is enticing you. Don't put all your apples into one basket
I am sure there will be others telling you to slam it with the biggest baddest stuff going.:ROFLMAO: It's not their wallet.......
Just my opinion.
My 2 cents.
:cool:

Last edited:
Yup. Overkill, too much weight, too much torque. That bigger motor would destroy the diffs too, blow bearings like crazy etc.
it really handles it a lot better than you would assume lol. I had zero problems with bearings or diffs when I had my big TP 5660 1440kv in there. I even ran it on 8s sometimes and it held up extremely well. In fact, the only problem I ever had with the setup was just stuff breaking easier when I tried to jump it. That ultimately led me to put a smaller motor in because I enjoy jumping more than anything else but that big block was really nice in there for everything except that.

I also had big block in Talion XL which also handled it extremely well and again, zero diff or bearing problems. I actually left the big block in there for much longer but eventually took it out as well for the same reason of stuff breaking easier when I had a bad landing.

Big blocks in the arrma 6s rigs are actually very viable and it's crazy just how well the diffs hold up. I had more problems with the arrma 8s diffs by far :ROFLMAO:

I will also add tho that this was all with the mmx8s which is a bit lighter than the max 5 so some weight was saved there.

Plan on using the EXB LSD diffs with big blocks..... and good luck building and working with those.
@Moirae, I am made at you for disagreeing with me!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
haha man I had stock diffs in the FT too. I think arrma 6s rigs have really well built drivetrains tbh. The extra weight just doesn't do well for durability though. Everytime I took my FT to bash at the park I broke something :eek:

it really handles it a lot better than you would assume lol. I had zero problems with bearings or diffs when I had my big TP 5660 1440kv in there. I even ran it on 8s sometimes and it held up extremely well. In fact, the only problem I ever had with the setup was just stuff breaking easier when I tried to jump it. That ultimately led me to put a smaller motor in because I enjoy jumping more than anything else but that big block was really nice in there for everything except that.

I also had big block in Talion XL which also handled it extremely well and again, zero diff or bearing problems. I actually left the big block in there for much longer but eventually took it out as well for the same reason of stuff breaking easier when I had a bad landing.

Big blocks in the arrma 6s rigs are actually very viable and it's crazy just how well the diffs hold up. I had more problems with the arrma 8s diffs by far :ROFLMAO:

I will also add tho that this was all with the mmx8s which is a bit lighter than the max 5 so some weight was saved there.
I really don't think that the bigger motors make a difference in these lighter 6s vehicles. What you will get is more breakages like you mentioned. I run the MMX8S and 1650KV HW motor on my K6S XL with a 23t pinion and stock Mojave EXB center diff and EXB diffs from the O6S and that thing is absolute beast on 6s. 50+ MPH on grass and the wheels barely hang on. That's another reason not to go with 8s and giant motors. Good luck finding tires and wheels that are able to take all that extra rotation and torque. Even if you run the big motor on 6s. What's the purpose of getting a bigger motor than a 4985 if you are just going to run it on 6s? Just my opinion. 😂. The bigger motors (bigger than 4985) put a few more ounces of unnecessary weight into your 6s rigs. Not needed. The cons outweigh the pros.

Thanks for the advise.
i have the max5 combo in my kraton 8S EXB and its a beast, thats why i was thinking of this combo…

I posted a similar question, and I think @BashingBrian remarks also helped me with a choice. FT, I like it on the ground, with no wheelies. I have the stock 2050kv motor but with a Max6 ESC, and I am a little lighter on the body. I'm a basher, not a jumper, but that does not mean I will not fly it off the golf mounds for some air....little air, and back to the ground.

Temperature is my concern with all my rigs. It's hot here in the south. The 2050kv does well, but the gauge gets close to 170F. I like to see that digital temp a little lower.

For my next 20x pack service, I plan to change the motor to a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor. Based on the reviews I have seen, a longer motor will give me the temps I want, and it does well in the FT. This is the older Hobbystar. They have a newer one, 4292 same motor but no 1730kv in that option. If I got the newer one, I would look at the 4292 1780kv v2.

Something to think about this rig is well-balanced as 6S.

Video

I really don't think that the bigger motors make a difference in these lighter 6s vehicles. What you will get is more breakages like you mentioned. I run the MMX8S and 1650KV HW motor on my K6S XL with a 23t pinion and stock Mojave EXB center diff and EXB diffs from the O6S and that thing is absolute beast on 6s. 50+ MPH on grass and the wheels barely hang on. That's another reason not to go with 8s and giant motors. Good luck finding tires and wheels that are able to take all that extra rotation and torque. Even if you run the big motor on 6s. What's the purpose of getting a bigger motor than a 4985 if you are just going to run it on 6s? Just my opinion. 😂. The bigger motors (bigger than 4985) put a few more ounces of unnecessary weight into your 6s rigs. Not needed. The cons outweigh the pros.
The biggest pro was temps tbh. For example, I could run my talion xl all day geared for 80 mph and it would never overheat. Same for the fireteam, when I put in 4985 size motor in the ft I had to gear down to iirc a 20t to stop from overheating. I know most people would be more than happy with even a 16t pinion but I like to live life on the edge apparently. :ROFLMAO:

I got the great idea of putting a tp 4080cm into my talion XL instead of the big block. It almost feels like cheating as it's actually rated as even stronger than the big block and it's lighter being 40x113mm. Too bad it won't fit in the ft with the handbrake or I'd take out the castle 1717 and put a tp4080 in there too :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back