Kraton Got my first Arrma, This Radio is unnacceptable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I just got my new 6S V4 Kraton this weekend and I want o say that I love the truck. The power is insane, the handling of the truck itself is fantastic.

However, this Radio is so bad it makes driving the truck almost impossible. Now normally, with downsides to a product, I can normally look past them and use the product. But this is not the case with the radio with this car. Any more distance than 150 feet and the truck does things that I did NOT say to do. IT even continues to turn and then apply throttle and went into a mailbox post.

This is not acceptable for a product I just spent nearly 600 dollars on.

Arrma, I am asking that you provide me a functional radio or I am returning the truck. Thank you.

The stock Specktrum radio is laughable, but don't get rid of a great truck because of a crap radio.. Get a Tactic ttx300 radio from ebay for $25.. These came on the V3 trucks. Installing the new receiver in the Kraton will literally be a 5 minute or less job, and will require only a #2 hex driver. Your radio issues will be solved. If you haven't swapped a receiver before it really is a easy, simple job

I just got my new 6S V4 Kraton this weekend and I want o say that I love the truck. The power is insane, the handling of the truck itself is fantastic.

However, this Radio is so bad it makes driving the truck almost impossible. Now normally, with downsides to a product, I can normally look past them and use the product. But this is not the case with the radio with this car. Any more distance than 150 feet and the truck does things that I did NOT say to do. IT even continues to turn and then apply throttle and went into a mailbox post.

This is not acceptable for a product I just spent nearly 600 dollars on.

Arrma, I am asking that you provide me a functional radio or I am returning the truck. Thank you.
Hi @cobalt172. You do realize that this is a privately run forum and is not directly associated to Arrma or Horizon Hobby right? If you had visited before you purchased, you might have read that many felt the same way about that radio, and could have taken steps towards avoiding that crash. At this point, you'll want to call Horizon Hobby, and tell them about what happened. I'm sure they will fix you right up. Come on back once you're all fixed up and enjoy some time here with the Arrma Forum family.

I did not know this forum was separate.

I still think its redicuous to supply a radio like this. Horizon Hobby will need to supply me the replacement radio, I am not spending another Freaking 25 dollars because of their mistake.
Do I have to swap the Reciever AND the handheld? Or do I just need to replace the receiver? I don't understand what is what.

I did not know this forum was separate.

I still think its redicuous to supply a radio like this. Horizon Hobby will need to supply me the replacement radio, I am not spending another Freaking 25 dollars because of their mistake.
Do I have to swap the Reciever AND the handheld? Or do I just need to replace the receiver? I don't understand what is what.
I agree it is a bad thing they include a junk radio. However, that said, for about $30 you can get a better radio and that’s a small cost in this hobby. You are right here, but being right and not having fun isn’t the answer. If HH won’t accommodate you then you’re going to have to pony up a little bit of cash.

To answer your question, yes you will need a new transmitter and receiver. The Spectrum STX2 is a proprietary design and won’t work with any other models.

Okay so I should get the Tactic TTX300? What is that? IS that a receiver AND a transmitter?
The tactic ttx300 radio goes for what seems to be 40 to 50 dollars. Wonderful.
If I get this Tactic radio, will it be "linked" to the receiver it comes with? Are there extra ports for motor fans? I would actually like to have 2 extra ports for motor fans.

The tactic is its own radio and receiver. I don’t know if you can bind more than one receiver at a time to it. I still use it in a couple of my models. It works very well. Down the road if you wish to buy other vehicles and want to use the same radio you may want to look at another model that will except mutible receivers.

IS there an AUX port in the receiver thingy for motor fan?

Is there a down side to using a merger to merge 2 motor fans and plugging that into one AUX port in the receiver?
https://www.amazon.com/Tactic-Three...1?keywords=tactic+radio&qid=1570576846&sr=8-1
I am looking at the receiver and I see 4 ports, does that mean I can use 2 motor fans? what happens if I plug a motor fan into channel 3? Should I buy brand new or should I buy from ebay?
also, on that amazon posting why is there no wire for the antenna?

IS there an AUX port in the receiver thingy for motor fan?

Is there a down side to using a merger to merge 2 motor fans and plugging that into one AUX port in the receiver?
https://www.amazon.com/Tactic-Three...1?keywords=tactic+radio&qid=1570576846&sr=8-1
I am looking at the receiver and I see 4 ports, does that mean I can use 2 motor fans? what happens if I plug a motor fan into channel 3? Should I buy brand new or should I buy from ebay?
also, on that amazon posting why is there no wire for the antenna?
The Tactic does not use an external antenna but gets very good range nonetheless. Almost all previous generations used this radio, and almost all of us that have one, are very content. You can plug a fan in the new receiver so merging the two fans externally would be a good choice. Fans don't need a lot of power, so no need to try to feed all those plugs into the box. For a small increase in budget, there are many good radios available. We just reccomend the Tactic because many of us are familiar with it. Start by getting a new radio and receiver from HH, and any parts you think might be damaged from the incident. Test again in an open area with few obstacles. Hopefully you won't have the same issues. If you do, a new radio is your best bet.

@cobalt172 first, welcome to ArrmaForum and thanks for joining!

I think we all agree here the stock radio system is in dire need of assistance. I'm a Futaba fan myself and recommend them, otherwise you could look at getting a FlySky or Tactic radio system.

You can use the Tact
IS arrma not planning on fixing the issue for me and expecting me to pay 60 dollars for a radio that should have worked from day 1? WTF
You're not wrong.

This seems like it's gonna be an ongoing thing about the radio , FWIW , I don't even like the Tactic . I've bought 3 new Arrma 6s trucks in the past couple months and awaiting for the Mojave to arrive to get that one , and removed all the came with radios to install my Futaba 3PV . This radio for the mere $109 that it costs is a drop compared to what you are spending on the RTR trucks and once you have it , the additional receivers to ad on are only $35 . This radio is light years ahead of any RTR radios , you can have up to I believe 20 diff models in it,WAY more fine tuning adjustments from end points/dual rates/brake strength/throttle and steering curves/shows the battery voltage so you know when getting low,etc,etc. NTM ...........range , !!!!!!!!
Also ,usually once in the hobby , you are not going to have just one , now you are not dragging around multiple radios , and battery savings !!! LOL .

Its mainly HH fault many of their rtr use that crappy stx2 radio i would want a car to not even come woth a radio if i could choose:/ you can get a decent radio for cheap personally i went fpr the dumborc 6channel for 25$ Yes 2 weeks to get it trought banggood but its the best remplacement for a RTR i never lost range it claims it has 400metter range(someone tested it and seems true) and has tsm compatibility
https://m.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6-2...0-Rc-Car-Boat-Tank-Model-Parts-p-1454329.html Or trought amazon also
You could sell the crappy radio for 30$ is you want? Or run over with your car

it's a shame arrma are putting in so many junk parts into the V4. you need to change the servo, receiver and radio right out of the box. for arrma to put competent parts for those 3 things would not have cost them much more, but leaving in poor quality parts really leaves a bad taste for those new to the hobby.

it's a shame arrma are putting in so many junk parts into the V4. you need to change the servo, receiver and radio right out of the box. for arrma to put competent parts for those 3 things would not have cost them much more, but leaving in poor quality parts really leaves a bad taste for those new to the hobby.
The servo is fine for an RTR servo.

IS arrma not planning on fixing the issue for me and expecting me to pay 60 dollars for a radio that should have worked from day 1? WTF
I tried to help you, but now you're starting to get a little agitating. The radio works, just not to your expectation. If you did some research before you bought, you would have found out that there are some people who have already discovered that the stock radio is underwhelming. For the price you paid, it's still one of the best rigs on the market, and for a few extra bucks, you can have a radio that will do the job as you expect. You'll still be hundreds under what you might pay for the nearest competitors similar rig. So eat it or walk, your choice. Don't come in our house and start talking smack. We're here to help for those who want it. You want someone to cry the blues to, go buy a Traxxas and call back when you realize what a real piece of sh!t is. Now if you have questions that can be asked civilly, please ask. If you want to rant about a $50 radio, you've come to the wrong place.i can only imagine what you're going to say the first time you break a part from "just a 2 foot jump" after launching off a building.

Bottom line is if the $25 is a matter of principle, I get it. You're not entirely wrong.

But, if you can't afford a $25 radio, you bought into the wrong hobby. You're likely to spend 10x that in the first year alone fixing small stuff. This isn't one of those spend-$500-once type deals. This is an expensive hobby for people on a budget, unless you have a lot of fab skills and can make stuff work on your own.

I hope everything works out for you either way. You bought a great rig.... with a crap radio.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back