Infraction How much battery (6s) do I really need?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raynist

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Notorious
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Outcast 6s
  10. Talion
  11. Typhon 6s
I have a V2 infraction and will be getting a Mojave next week hopefully.

i have a few 5200 3S 75c packs that I use for my infraction. I ordered a 6S pack to use for the Mojave. It is 6400 and 150c.

Would I see a performance difference using a 150C pack vs 75c packs or can 75c packs provide all the power I could use to either vehicle?

thanks
Ray

Last edited:
Yeah your best bet is to just search (quicker if you use the search function) and see what people like. A lot of people like the graphene packs, but a lot of people (like myself) are fine with those cheap china $40 a piece 3s 45c lipos.

C rating is a measure of how much/fast power (mAh) can be pumped out on demand, so having "too much" C rating isn't really a thing because your esc/motor is what is determining how much juice it wants at any given time. It's having too low of a C rating that you need to be careful of, that's when you start seeing lipos get really hot and puff up as a result of exceeding their discharge C rate.

Because published C ratings are hyper inflated I always say to buy the highest C rated battery in your budget that you can and don't buy anything less than 50c (I also prioritize C rating over mAh capacity).

That being said 65c and above is usually what I aim for.

C rating is a measure of how much/fast power (mAh) can be pumped out on demand, so having "too much" C rating isn't really a thing because your esc/motor is what is determining how much juice it wants at any given time. It's having too low of a C rating that you need to be careful of, that's when you start seeing lipos get really hot and puff up as a result of exceeding their discharge C rate.

Because published C ratings are hyper inflated I always say to buy the highest C rated battery in your budget that you can and don't buy anything less than 50c (I also prioritize C rating over mAh capacity).

That being said 65c and above is usually what I aim for.
All good info, but just a tip, if you’re caring about battery performance, pay more attention to mah than C rating. Because c ratings are inflated you never know what you’re getting. You can’t change mah. A higher mah battery is a guarantee that it’ll be capable of more current.

All good info, but just a tip, if you’re caring about battery performance, pay more attention to mah than C rating. Because c ratings are inflated you never know what you’re getting. You can’t change mah. A higher mah battery is a guarantee that it’ll be capable of more current.
I should have phrased this better, but for example, assuming that price is similar and I am choosing between between a 5200mah 55c battery and a 5000mah 70c battery, I would definitely choose the 5000 70c. But if it were 5200mah 50c vs 4000mah 70c I would choose the 5200 50c.

This kind of situation usually only comes up when I am looking through what's in stock at CNHL because they carry tons of different C ratings and capacity combinations.

I should have phrased this better, but for example, assuming that price is similar and I am choosing between between a 5200mah 55c battery and a 5000mah 70c battery, I would definitely choose the 5000 70c. But if it were 5200mah 50c vs 4000mah 70c I would choose the 5200 50c.

This kind of situation usually only comes up when I am looking through what's in stock at CNHL because they carry tons of different C ratings and capacity combinations.
Ah, yes. That I understand and agree with. I was saying like, in general I keep it above 5000mah.

The formula is mAh * C rating = amps output.

5,000 mAh 55C = 275 amps
6,000 mAh 50C = 300 amps

Roughly. Yes the C ratings are all high and sometimes crazy. The HRB batteries I use (cheap and available from Amazon.ca) give sustained and burst C ratings.I know these don’t really put out the rates amount because my stock Notorious will heat them up when running hard.

That said, I need to start dropping punch on the ESC when running 6S because it flips so easily. 6S on punch 7 (Hobbywing Easyrun) is too much and too hot.

Just curious: How would a 150A ESC ever draw more than 150A?

It's not the ESC that draws the amps, it's the motor. If you have a battery and vehicle/motor combination that can draw more than 150 amps sustained you risk overheating or smoking the ESC. The electronic components in the ESC are designed for/rated for a maximum of 150A. Put a motor and gearing combination in it with batteries that can deliver more than that and you can exceed the limits of those electronics and burn something up very quickly, possibly before thermal showdown of the ESC can save it. Every plugged in a battery to an ESC with the polarity reversed? Yeah... it fries it instantly. It's not the same thing but you get my point.

You can draw a 1000A (slight exaggeration) on any ESC, it just won't survive. They are rated at 150A as a max or constant performance.
This. For the record though, half these brands advertising their escs as 150a are heavily outperformed by other brands 120a escs, so take the ratings with a grain of salt.

No question, in some cases the Amp rating on ESC is comparable to the C rating on LiPo's i.e. very much a marketing term with little connection to reality.

I did a test using my stock infraction and some 3s and 6s batteries today.

Test 1

SMC 3S $89.99 x 2 (6400mah - 150C)

63mph

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=617

Test 2

Z-Power 3S $29.99 x 2 (banggood) (5200mah - 50C)

61mph

Test 3

SMC 3s $61 x 2 (6500mah - 75c)
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=547

63mph

Test 4

SMC 6s $152 x 1 (6400mah - 150c)

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=572

63mph

This test was done in an empty parking lot about 400ft long and perfectly flat. I did 3-4 runs with each battery that was charged no more than an hour before. Top speed was measured by a gps device.

SMC batteries were all the same speed but consistently 2mph faster but at minimum 2x’s more expensive.

it would be interesting to test the SMC 3s battery here for $30 each to see if they could hit 63mph

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=620

Try the speed pinion, just let it cool between runs. You are not using the full potential of the batteries with the normal pinion.
I will give that a try this weekend and report back.

That is why most stay with ~ 5000mAh, added weight and heat are typically the issue but nothing else wrong with using higher mAh. More a personal preference based on driving style.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back