GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Limitless, Typhon 6s
Look at the front and back of the film. It only sticks from one side of the film. Doing rc bodies it is done inside out. You lose the carbon fiber look. You have to dip the outside of a rc body for it to work.
Sorry Lovestricken because I don't want to argue with you but you're wrong.

All hydro dipping films will only stick from one side of the film.
That's why you have to check which side is which when using any film by wetting/licking a finger/thumb and testing the film between the two for the side which gets sticky. Sticky side always goes face down onto the water.

You won't lose the carbon fibre look dipping a clear RC car body shell as it doesn't matter that you're dipping the inside, ...the only thing that changes is the order that you do the process.

Usually the hydro dipping process is: Primer>base coat colour>hydro dip>lacquer/clear coat to protect the finish.

Whereas when dipping an RC clear body shell you have to do it on the inside so the first thing you do is hydro dip it followed by the base coat colour of your choosing.
So: Hydro dip>base coat colour>backing colour if needed for added protection or to make the colour "pop" more.

Lovestricken

Eat,sleep and breath Arrma
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
Sorry Lovestricken because I don't want to argue with you but you're wrong.

All hydro dipping films will only stick from one side of the film.
That's why you have to check which side is which when using any film by wetting/licking a finger/thumb and testing the film between the two for the side which gets sticky. Sticky side always goes face down onto the water.

You won't lose the carbon fibre look dipping a clear RC car body shell as it doesn't matter that you're dipping the inside, ...the only thing that changes is the order that you do the process.

Usually the hydro dipping process is: Primer>base coat colour>hydro dip>lacquer/clear coat to protect the finish.

Whereas when dipping an RC clear body shell you have to do it on the inside so the first thing you do is hydro dip it followed by the base coat colour of your choosing.
So: Hydro dip>base coat colour>backing colour if needed for added protection or to make the colour "pop" more.
Please read my post you quoted lmao my very first line is it only sticks from 1 side lmao ..... unfortunately the side that sticks is the backer side not the print side.
Please read my post you quoted lmao my very first line is it only sticks from 1 side lmao ..... unfortunately the side that sticks is the backer side not the print side.
Carbon fiber prints are not transparent like most other films. They have a backer color built in. So when you dip the inside of the body you see the backer color on the outside but the inside looks great.
That silver is the backer color so unless you dip the outside of the car this is what you will see. Not trying to argue either just know first hand. I have a whole roll of print I need to figure out what to use it on. 15903710618197991093244169804709.jpg

Last edited:

GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Limitless, Typhon 6s
Carbon fiber prints are not transparent like most other films. They have a backer color built in. So when you dip the inside of the body you see the backer color on the outside but the inside looks great.
That silver is the backer color so unless you dip the outside of the car this is what you will see. Not trying to argue either just know first hand. I have a whole roll of print I need to figure out what to use it on.
Then I hold my hands up that I am wrong.

Looking at that video I just couldn't see why you couldn't just dip the inside of the RC body but from what you're saying you have experienced with your own experiments then with that carbon film pictured then I understand (finally).
Just wish you had posted that picture earlier so I could see what you meant. :LOL:

The carbon fibre film I had before was a transparent type whereby you choose the backing colour yourself to create the weave. So I had dark gold carbon fibre weave effect in an old car of mine.
That would work on the inside of an RC body shell AFAIK don't you think which is what I was thinking of predominantly.
rBVaSFvRNbyAcmNEAAtCvpl2i8w500.jpg

Still the carbon fibre film you have wouldn't work as you've been saying all along sorry. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.