Hydrodipping RC Bodies (How To)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe they would hold up on wheels if you clear coat them afterwards? Nice rim idea.
That's what you have to do naturally after hydro dipping, ...clear lacquer AKA clear coat.

You can and companies do this to 1:1 scale car wheels and parts all the time. It's how I got into hydro dipping having parts done for my 1:1 scale cars so I decided to start doing it myself at home. ;)

Would dipping the inside of a shell work? I want to do a classic carbon fiber outcast body. I just thought it'd be more durable to dip the inside so when it inevitably ends up sliding across the ground wheels up it won't destroy the dip job.

Ok I thought so but I want to be sure before I spent the money on a kit to try it myself. Thanks!
If you're going to try it yourself make sure you buy decent hydro dipping film and activators. You don't have to spend a fortune but just make sure what you do spend is on decent stuff. Best films used to always come from Japan.

When I first starting dipping years ago I bought a kit from eBay but it was awful. The film that came with it was cheap and when I used the activator spray on it the film didn't liquefy like it's supposed to (it was like trying to dip parts through a plastic carrier bag).

I buy my films and activators nowadays from a hydro dipping business and tbh that's where I'd advise you to get yours if you can. Films and activators really aren't expensive but it can be frustrating if the film & activator don't work well together so a proper company will advise you on what works with what. ;)

If you're going to try it yourself make sure you buy decent hydro dipping film and activators. You don't have to spend a fortune but just make sure what you do spend is on decent stuff. Best films used to always come from Japan.

When I first starting dipping years ago I bought a kit from eBay but it was awful. The film that came with it was cheap and when I used the activator spray on it the film didn't liquefy like it's supposed to (it was like trying to dip parts through a plastic carrier bag).

I buy my films and activators nowadays from a hydro dipping business and tbh that's where I'd advise you to get yours if you can. Films and activators really aren't expensive but it can be frustrating if the film & activator don't work well together so a proper company will advise you on what works with what. ;)
I wish I saw this a little sooner lol I just bought this kit on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Weave-Realis...67HXC6MM2Y1&psc=1&refRID=SQ8MKWH8Z67HXC6MM2Y1

I wish I saw this a little sooner lol I just bought this kit on Amazon.
So looking on Amazon at the reviews that kit only rates 2.9 out of 5 (from 9 reviews) but that still doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad kit. Dipping can be challenging at times and some people expect it to be easier than they thought because on YouTube etc people tend not to show you the failures or hide the issues they do come across like patterns stretching, air bubbles etc.

That company does have a dedicated website too and it looks like they do dipping professionally so fingers crossed their products are good.
Link: https://www.mydipkitstore.com/

Make sure you practice on stuff you don't care about before trying to dip anything serious.
I like to use "speed shapes" for practicing on but have also used all manner of things when practicing like broken computer equipment to plastic tub lids.
Speed shape: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Sp...517418?hash=item4b50d276aa:g:iwcAAOSw3ydVrBHd

So looking on Amazon at the reviews that kit only rates 2.9 out of 5 (from 9 reviews) but that still doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad kit. Dipping can be challenging at times and some people expect it to be easier than they thought because on YouTube etc people tend not to show you the failures or hide the issues they do come across like patterns stretching, air bubbles etc.

That company does have a dedicated website too and it looks like they do dipping professionally so fingers crossed their products are good.
Link: https://www.mydipkitstore.com/

Make sure you practice on stuff you don't care about before trying to dip anything serious.
I like to use "speed shapes" for practicing on but have also used all manner of things when practicing like broken computer equipment to plastic tub lids.
Speed shape: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Sp...517418?hash=item4b50d276aa:g:iwcAAOSw3ydVrBHd
Hopefully they use their own products haha I'm used to the speed shapes as I used them frequently while painting at a body shop to test color matches. The kit seems to come with a pretty decent amount of film so hopefully a couple small test pieces shouldn't be a problem. Is it ok if I private message you if I have questions when the stuff comes in?

Hopefully they use their own products haha I'm used to the speed shapes as I used them frequently while painting at a body shop to test color matches. The kit seems to come with a pretty decent amount of film so hopefully a couple small test pieces shouldn't be a problem. Is it ok if I private message you if I have questions when the stuff comes in?
That's no problem but I'd prefer it if you post on the open forum as it may help others trying to learn as well. ;)

It also gives other members with experience of hydro dipping a chance to put in their two pence worth like @Mr.Duke who's thread this is and has much more experience than me at dipping RC body shells.

Definitely start small so you don't waste your film or activator. You'll most likely run out of activator before you do film if my experiences have taught me anything. :D

That's no problem but I'd prefer it if you post on the open forum as it may help others trying to learn as well. ;)

It also gives other members with experience of hydro dipping a chance to put in their two pence worth like @Mr.Duke who's thread this is and has much more experience than me at dipping RC body shells.

Definitely start small so you don't waste your film or activator. You'll most likely run out of activator before you do film if my experiences have taught me anything. :D
Good point! Thanks! I'll definitely be sure to post pics of the process for that very reason. Mb start my own thread.

Carbon fiber look will not work. You have to have sure it is a dual sided print .

Thank you.
I went into this fully expecting disaster, but was rewarded with what I think was a much better result than I was ever expecting. It's difficult for pictures to give a true representation of the depth the design on the body has once completed.
Just goes to show, that you never know until you try. Glad I did, and I hope that others that read this may give it a try as well.
That's sick bro!!

Almost all carbon fiber dips the print is only designed for 5he outside of the object
Yes but even so if he does do a clear body shell with it then the pattern will be visible through the body and he can just back it then with paint on the back to protect the dip from coming off the inside.

My concern with carbon fibre films/dips is that it can be extremely difficult to get the pattern to look right or realistic at all. Fairly simple on flat surfaces but on anything with curves or multiple surfaces it can be a nightmare. Also if it's not a good film no matter what you do it will always look fake.

Either way @Crispybakon0616 like I said have a practice to see how you get on. Worst case scenario if you don't like the carbon film you just need to buy some more film to try which is really cheap anyway.

Yes but even so if he does do a clear body shell with it then the pattern will be visible through the body and he can just back it then with paint on the back to protect the dip from coming off the inside.

My concern with carbon fibre films/dips is that it can be extremely difficult to get the pattern to look right or realistic at all. Fairly simple on flat surfaces but on anything with curves or multiple surfaces it can be a nightmare. Also if it's not a good film no matter what you do it will always look fake.

Either way @Crispybakon0616 like I said have a practice to see how you get on. Worst case scenario if you don't like the carbon film you just need to buy some more film to try which is really cheap anyway.
No carbon fiber is a print over print. Already has a backer in the print that is how they get the weaving look. Trust me I tried many different ways. Even as far as trying to mist the print and spray the activator on the car lol.

No carbon fiber is a print over print. Already has a backer in the print that is how they get the weaving look. Trust me I tried many different ways. Even as far as trying to mist the print and spray the activator on the car lol.
No offence but honestly don't get what you are talking about? ?
Do you have any pictures of yours or what went wrong with yours?

Below is an example of a solid carbon fibre hydro dipping film. The film below is not clear so the pattern you see is what will appear on any parts dipped.
CFB7-4_Lewis,DippedHydrographics,UK-600x600.jpg

Below are two examples of black & clear carbon fibre hydro dipping films. These films are designed so that you can use different colour base coats that will come through changing the colour of the carbon fibre weave effect.
1m-Wide-Hydro-Dipping-Carbon-Fiber-Water-Transfer-Printing-Film.jpg

rBVaSlvZUC6AHlGxAAl4P1dIHQ8003.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back