Typhon Improve air control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So first of all, I love how the car handles and don't really want to change that too much. But I send it pretty good and would love for it to react a little better to my inputs in the air. Not looking to do crazy backflips or anything like that, just want to reduce the amount of bad landings.

I was thinking about going with some bigger tires, but as I said, I don't want to change much about the handling of the car. So the standard truggifying people do is not for me.

I was looking around what options I have and I came across these:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...53GCJN9JeNHbZA23pQse6rgYmTxvPjDxoClewQAvD_BwE

With them being slightly bigger than my current badlands mx m2 and also belted, I think that would increase the rotational mass just enough for it to increase the air control. I did some measuring and it seems like they could fit without the kraton part conversion.

What do you guys think? Also, if you got some better ideas, let me know!

Thanks!

So first of all, I love how the car handles and don't really want to change that too much. But I send it pretty good and would love for it to react a little better to my inputs in the air. Not looking to do crazy backflips or anything like that, just want to reduce the amount of bad landings.

I was thinking about going with some bigger tires, but as I said, I don't want to change much about the handling of the car. So the standard truggifying people do is not for me.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...53GCJN9JeNHbZA23pQse6rgYmTxvPjDxoClewQAvD_BwE

With them being slightly bigger than my current badlands mx m2 and also belted, I think that would increase the rotational mass just enough for it to increase the air control. I did some measuring and it seems like they could fit without the kraton part conversion.

Thanks!
I'm pretty clueless on this particular car, but normally Non-Belted tires give you better air control.

IMHO

Oh, I didn't know belted means worse air control. I thought because of the bigger mass that it'd help with it. What makes more tire and not belted better?

Oh, I didn't know belted means worse air control. I thought because of the bigger mass that it'd help with it. What makes more tire and not belted better?
The ballooning of the tire is what helps give you air control.

When the tire expands (ballooning) it helps the car rotate in the air. Belted tires stop ballooning which means less wheelies and less air control. The tires you are running currently aren't belted but because they are so thin they don't expand much

Now I was looking around a bit more and saw that people use dBoots Fortress (Mojave stock tires) and they seem perfect, as they have a lot of tire and are not belted. Seems like they fit without mods, but in a video I saw, it sounded like they rub on the body when they balloon.

Somebody has any experience with them on a typhon? If so, is the rubbing bad and did it change the handling by much?

Now I was looking around a bit more and saw that people use dBoots Fortress (Mojave stock tires) and they seem perfect, as they have a lot of tire and are not belted. Seems like they fit without mods, but in a video I saw, it sounded like they rub on the body when they balloon.

Somebody has any experience with them on a typhon? If so, is the rubbing bad and did it change the handling by much?
You could run little hex extenders to get them away from the body a little. You can get cheapos from ebay (I have run them a lot without any issues) or from Just bash it rc. Mojave tires are great. Lot of people love them

I run some knock off MOJO tires on my truggified typhon, so not sure about body rubbing but I've never had it happen. I love em- they really help the typhon float over the grass & rougher terrain like a champ. Give me way better air control off my ramp too. Check out @Moirae's tlr w/ the mojave tires too

20220716_191757.jpg

20220716_194302.jpg

20220617_184827.jpg

I really like the mojave tires on the typhon. I don't think I'd like them as much on a stock typhon though. Some GPM +13mm extensions would probably be awesome with them though. I'd be worried about tipping over too easily if you don't widen the rig.

yeah, (edit:) the fortress were fine, it was the method rc's that rubbing a little.
You can still try hub extensions and can always swap them back. Cheap enough.
The extra width did help with rollovers and tumbles.

im currently running the dBoots Fortress on mine with extensions.
IMG_3621.jpg

The method rc tires next to the mojave fortress.
IMG_3591.jpeg

Last edited:
20220911_180446.jpg

Thats mine but truggified with kraton hubs/stubs/hexes. I actually added +!3mm extensions yesterday so it's even wider now. Just doing extensions is a lot cheaper and easier than truggifying though.

View attachment 244695

Thats mine but truggified with kraton hubs/stubs/hexes. I actually added +!3mm extensions yesterday so it's even wider now. Just doing extensions is a lot cheaper and easier than truggifying though.
Your a$$ end seems to ride a little higher than mine. U do that thru droop screws? Or longer rear shocks? Is it to mitigate the chassis slap/ bottoming out on those awesome jumps?

Your a$$ end seems to ride a little higher than mine. U do that thru droop screws? Or longer rear shocks? Is it to mitigate the chassis slap/ bottoming out on those awesome jumps?
Yea, I'm using kraton shocks f/r. When I had the TLR shocks my ride height was really low. I actually loved the way it looked and the way it handled but I was worried it might be too low for jumps which prompted me to try kraton shocks.

Yea, I'm using kraton shocks f/r. When I had the TLR shocks my ride height was really low. I actually loved the way it looked and the way it handled but I was worried it might be too low for jumps which prompted me to try kraton shocks.
I've got some mojave shocks you've made me interested in trying. Probably end up being a cold weather project tho, typhotank really needs a full tear down

yeah, (edit:) the fortress were fine, it was the method rc's that rubbing a little.
You can still try hub extensions and can always swap them back. Cheap enough.
The extra width did help with rollovers and tumbles.

im currently running the dBoots Fortress on mine with extensions.
View attachment 244682

The method rc tires next to the mojave fortress.
View attachment 244720
Did you truggify your typhon? What size of hex extensions? Also got a link for them? I'm always scared of buying cheapo stuff and it breaking and me having to buy again.

How did the handling change compared to stock? Is it still as nimble just with better air control and better handling on rough terrain?

Thanks to all you guys!

Did you truggify your typhon? What size of hex extensions? Also got a link for them? I'm always scared of buying cheapo stuff and it breaking and me having to buy again.

How did the handling change compared to stock? Is it still as nimble just with better air control and better handling on rough terrain?

Thanks to all you guys!

sure, here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...on-and-mojave-bits-n-pieces.53029/post-807285

This thread about widening a typhon: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/typhon-6s-with-mojave-arms-please.55722/

Thanks!
You will need 17mm hexed wheels. 12mm wheels won't work.
The Typhon is not the best big air rig. Many will mod it to do so. Depends how you drive.
I myself have considered the Mojave Fortresse's for my TLRT in the dirt. Not truly correct for a buggy, being a purist, but I think these wheels will give better rotation. Many have used them on their Typhons.
Have you adjusted your Punch higher? If you haven't, that is the first thing to try before changing out the tires. You might just get some better Rotation. And running the Mojo Fortress tires above in conjunction with a Higher Punch setting in the ESC may work for you. Learn your ESC parameters better. First thing to do. If you have not already. Get the Programmer to do this. The fastest and easiest way to adjust your ESC.
The Kraton for instance has large MT tires , so the mass and weight of their wheels is what give best rotaional control in the air. Typhon can't use these large MT wheels. Not designed for it. Has short arms and shocks as well. Typhon is best for moderate air jumps seen on a Track. Where it would shine out the box. I run only 4s with my TLRT, FWIW. A Better balanced chassis IMHO. Most will run 6s for bashing. I know.

Last edited:
Have you adjusted your Punch higher? If you haven't, that is the first thing to try before changing out the tires. You might just get some better Rotation.

I've wondered about this. I see so many people here getting bigger tires for better air control, but I've also watched videos of RCdude81 & Duperbash running regular Badlands buggy tires and doing a lot of flips.
I know they have upgraded the electronics and they are some of the best big air guys out there, I'm sure that helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back