Notorious Issues with diffs possibly. Video in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should there be a little play with the gear mesh like on the motor/spur?

I bet I’m making the mesh to tight?

I agree. The inside of the diff is fine.
I did shim the bearing side of the diff. Used two shims. Factory with 1 Techno shim. Literally no side to side play.

The input pinion gear has three shims behind the larger bearing to push it closer to the diff gear. There is no Back-and-forth play of the pinion gear.

I can guarantee the diff cover is seated correctly along with the shim on the outside of the diff. I have taken very careful attention to make sure. The diff housing/bulkhead is brand new as well.

I do agree that I feel the opinion and diff gear are not meshed correctly. What exactly do I look for in terms of play, tightness between the two gears or what? I understand tolerances but wouldn’t suspect these RCs need the tightest of tolerances. Maybe I’m wrong.
Is the bulkhead cracked maybe and only rears its ugly head under load.

I was thinking the same thing for the noise but if u are stripping ring gears something else is happening

Bulkhead is not cracked. It’s done it with two different ones and I’ve checked them.

I know all shimm tolerances are different but 3 shims behind input gear seems much but all are different.Didyou change input gear too? Whn i stripped my ring gear the input gear was bad too. But you have too look close. Gears wear together

You should have a little tic-tac sound I’d you rock it back and forth, just like the spur and pinion, like with any gear mesh, you need a little play in the tightest spot on the gear set. If you set the mesh in one spot you can be too tight in another spot on the gear.

I have bashed my Notorious fairly hard since I got it and never had an issue. When I pulled it apart end of the year I found a broken pin in the rear diff, but ring and pinion are perfect and I did not touch or shim the input gear at all.

So I must have another issue. Did exactly what y’all stated.

Brand new bulkhead. Brand new shimmed diff inside, brand new crown gear, brand new pinon. Slightest bit of play with the mesh.

Took it outside. Literally within two seconds could hear the clicking sound. I have no clue but to run it till the SOB explodes. Then try and see what else could be the issue. There has to be something going on that’s I’m not seeing.
Are you noticing gouging or a wear spot on the diff case> If so the pinion is shimmed too far out.
No noticeable wear within the case.

Last edited:
So I must have another issue. Did exactly what y’all stated.

Brand new bulkhead. Brand new shimmed diff inside, brand new crown gear, brand new pinon. Slightest bit of play with the mesh.

Took it outside. Literally within two seconds could hear the clicking sound. I have no clue but to run it till the SOB explodes. Then try and see what else could be the issue. There has to be something going on that’s I’m not seeing.

No noticeable wear within the case.
Hows your bearings are they new and no play?

Thank you @TriggerHappy and @FatCatRC. I’m trying not to get discouraged but easier said than done. I’ve owned probably over 15 RCs over the last 8 years. Worked on them all and I’ve never had such problems. That is what bothers me more than anything is not being able to figure this out. I’m not use to that but this has me so stumped so bad it’s not even funny.

I’m wondering if it’s something else that’s causing the issue in the rear. I doubt it. I did shim the front just fine so I’m not sure why I’m struggling so much with the rear.
Hows your bearings are they new and no play?
Yes bearings are brand new.

Thank you @TriggerHappy and @FatCatRC. I’m trying not to get discouraged but easier said than done. I’ve owned probably over 15 RCs over the last 8 years. Worked on them all and I’ve never had such problems. That is what bothers me more than anything is not being able to figure this out. I’m not use to that but this has me so stumped so bad it’s not even funny.

I’m wondering if it’s something else that’s causing the issue in the rear. I doubt it. I did shim the front just fine so I’m not sure why I’m struggling so much with the rear.

Yes bearings are brand new.

I think you are doing the best thing you can now. You've done everything right - just send it hard and if it explodes you'll find out why and HH will send you a bunch of stuff on warranty I'm sure. Unfortunately you have an anomaly here and it's not clear what is going on. I have two Arrmas including my first, a V4 Notorious which was my first brushless and first rig over 3S. So I can't drive for crap and I'm doing stuff like standing backflips and stoppies. I've hit poles with only the right front wheel at 45 kph and lots more. I've only broken a shock rod end. That's it. (So far, lol) I have been completely blown away by how tough these Arrmas are and I think that is the case for the vast majority of Arrma owners... but there are always a few exceptions out there. Sorry you caught an exception in the teeth, but from everything I've seen from Arrma and HH they will go above and beyond to make it right.

Thank you for the encouragement. I do have to agree that HH has been very good about sending me replacements. Have two more complete diffs coming in the mail now.

Also, I do agree that Arrma is a great brand and very tough. Truck ran great for awhile before this issue. I am sure it’s something small that I am missing. I do plan to bash the snot out of it and see what happens. I do believe the issue is in the rear diff though.

I remember years ago I was into speed runs. Had a stock rustler vxl with a 3S and different gearing. Was going 70ish when it smacked a curb. That sucks but part of it and was my fault lol. This Arrma diff is my fault and that’s what bugs me more than anything. How can this be smarter than me 😂

I’ll post some pictures and maybe you all can find something that I am not seeing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back