Lipos and Preppers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plants break down CO². They actually need it and thrive on having more of it. They actually break down CO² that combustion engines produce. That's kind of really cool. Now how are used lithium batteries broken down by nature? :unsure:

Man... And to think just 3 years ago, all these things we are seeing and experiencing today were called "conspiracy theories". Hate to say I told ya so, but I told ya so. Not you, they know. ;)
Yep my tin foil hat feels very comfortable now...3 years ago people wanted to tear it off. :ROFLMAO:

In South Africa you get your time tables when your area gets the "load shedding" = blackout.

Basically I am wondering what kind of setup I need on the light bulb side to handle 16.8 and 25.2 volt. Normal BEC would work but that just eats up a lot of energy. And normal camper systems are 12V or 24V. Seems like everything is catering to 12V and 24V making 4s and 6s pretty useless. Or maybe I'm just not properly informed. Or can 24V bulbs handle 25.2V? But then light bulbs eat a lot of energy, LEDs would make more sense.

For example I have 4 9500mAH 4s. Thats 38000 mAh at 16.8 Volt. Might put it to use if possible. 6s same story.

I'm simply not informed about what would make sense.

30000mAh at 16,8Volt and 30% endcapacity using 4 Watt:

(16,8V * 21AH/4W) x60 = 5292 minutes.

(A day has 1440 minutes)
So yes it does make sense to have a look at options.

Last edited:
Oil heating in new houses forbidden in many places from 2024. From 2029 mandatory heat pump in EU.

Could go on a long rant here. I believe our climate change is artificial, malicous and artificially engineered. It's not difficult. Actually pretty easy and there seem to be a number of ways. But this sounds so stupid that it's plausible deniable. That discussion always get stopped right at the beginning. Sounds like stupid speculation. Easy to put into the corner of conspiracy theorys. It's one of these things that most people only realise years later. Always when discussions get stopped right away - that's when our personal BS-detectors should go full scale. The more CO² - the better plants grow. That's why industrial greenhouses add tons and tons of CO² gas. But apparently it's the other way round?

Basically I'm just thinking about putting existing lipos to use.
Personally, I don't think it's engineered (unless you're talking about an engineered narrative...that I could get behind). I think they're taking natural cycles of sun and sun spot activity/inactivity and ascribing these natural changes to the narrative of global warming or, as they call it now, global climate change (it's worth noting that it's the same interest groups that were telling us that we're headed for a new ice age during the 70s that are now telling us that if we don't get rid of all combustion engines, coal plants, natural gas plants...EVERYTHING that produces even a trace of CO² that we're going over the point of no return in eight years).

Beyond that, I think that the rush to tax and ban CO² (which, as you stated correctly, is what plants breathe and convert to oxygen during photosynthesis who would benefit greatly from elevated CO² levels...during the Cambrian explosion, the single largest species creating even in Earth's history, CO² levels were as high as 4000ppm which is more than10x what we currently have) is possibly the first step on the way to taxing oxygen in the future. Perhaps the cans of oxygen in Spaceballs were more prophetic than Mel Brooks thought....just to be clear, that's just speculation but, in light of the fact that they've managed to convince most of the planet that plant food is poison and must be eradicated, I don't think that the idea of regulating oxygen is really all that far fetched.
Man... And to think just 3 years ago, all these things we are seeing and experiencing today were called "conspiracy theories". Hate to say I told ya so, but I told ya so. Not you, they know. ;)
"Psyop" is the new "conspiracy theory".

Considering that psyops themselves are a conspiracy theory, it's not a large leap to make. I find this one particularly amusing though because, this one you can invert. The term conspiracy theory was, itself, a psyop invented by the CIA in the 960s to discredit those not buying the JFK narrative. And to bring it full circle, the notion that the CIA invented the term is deemed a conspiracy theory.

What a time to be alive. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.
Do we need to ween ourselfs off of fossil fuels? Well, ya. Slowly. Over time. You can't just flip a switch and go from one to another. I've always thought that Hybrids were a good option, but some folks seem to think we need to go full on electric with no middle ground. I disagree. There's an old saying, "Necessity is the Mother of All Invention". It's as true today as it's ever been. Where there's a need, someone will provide a solution. We'll all buy it, they'll get rich, and we'll say, " why didn't I think of that". Supply and demand.
I see no reason to ween ourselves off of fossil fuels. It has incredible energy density and (if you consider the entire process needed to locate it, build a drilling platform and drive it out to sea, extract it from deep underground, bottle it, transport it, refine it, transport it again, transport it, store it, sell it, etc.) it's remarkably inexpensive, even at the elevated prices we're paying currently. Look at milk and how much easier that process is and the cost is roughly the same.

But beyond it being a source of fuel, there's a bigger issue that we'll need to find a solution for before we do something with consequences as far reaching as getting off fossil fuels. If you look around the room you're in, I'd wager that a large percentage of all things that you can see make use of fluorocarbons for its manufacture. I know they've been working on trying to figure out an alternative but I think we're still a good ways off from making a proper plastic substitute. Love it or hate it, plastics make so much of modern life possible. No fossil fuel, no plastics (and before you say that's a good thing, take a moment to consider what will be used to create a stop gap...many more trees will be felled as a result. Just sayin'). I know everyone bitches about the plastic grocery bags but, replacing them with paper bags is a dumb idea on multiple fronts. First off, try carrying more than one or two per hand and then see how many plastic bags you can carry with each hand. Second, paper bags take up WAY more space to transport. I'm not sure what the exact ratio is, but I bet you can easily fit 5-10 plastic bag in the same space that a folded up paper bag occupies. The paper bag demand will necessitate the cutting down of yet more trees.
what do they use to mine these rare minerals? diesel power.
Little African children.

I remember someone told me this conspiracy theory stuff a while back.
He told me about this country - can't remember the name - with a president who is not able to say three sentences without messing up. There was a school schooting and when he gave his condolences to the parents he started talking about how well he liked his chocolate chip ice cream. At one time he wanted to shake someones hand - but there was nobody. He knew about a storm in december before the weather outlets started talking about it. He talks about a former president as "the president" - as if he not really the president himself. His vice president just cackles when she doesn't know what to say. She bobby her head up and down when she talks nonesense - which he said was always.

I told the guy to stop telling that nonsense. That's ridiculous - that stuff doesn't even happen in movies. Thanos stuff happens in movies. :unsure: That kind of stuff would be pure comedy - but not really as it would be really sad. Get over it.

Then this guy would not stop and told me they just keep the guy in power. He kept talking about how he and his son are so corrupt. I just told this buddy to stop telling stupid conspiracy stuff. A president would never do that. That's conspiracy theory stuff. So bad nobody would even make that stuff up. Then he said the guy in charge before him was the really bad guy. Then he started yelling and getting emotional about the former guy. He did not really know why himself. Just said that guy was stupid.

So I asked where does he come up with this total nonsense. What would be the motivations for all this stuff? After all the guy has some firecracker codes in his briefcase. Nobody would keep that one in power unless it meant that he was only a puppet. Im mean nothing happens without someone having motives and reasons. He did not know what to say then. But then he said that later that year the weather phenomenon called "el nijo" would be really bad. And that all the weather-ladies were talking about it. I laughed and said how would anybody know that now???? That has never been predictable. They have trouble predicting the weather in three days. He said that's easily done by pumping up water in the Southern Hemisphere from lower sea levels to the surface. The cold water messes up the air flow. Just needs one or two ships with pumps. He said that he this was his speculation but already done in Norway in winter to keep Fjords open for the ships. Add ioninization of the atmosphere via antenna to prevent rain - in the fashion of the Southern Hemisphere Auroral Radar Experiment or SuperDARN - deal done - El Ninjo here we come. The radars next to it are used to measure the intensity of the reflection in the stratosphere after targeting them with the antennas with 8 - 20 MHz . The ionized stratosphere with the added cold water on the surface - buy some futures in grain. Hehe. Plus those hundreds of silver iodide ground stations. Just let it rain off over the ocean so it gets dry on land - oh dear climate change. You literally just need a few aeroplanes. All hidden in plain view. He even said you could influence land ice on the one side of Antarctica so it decreases - and the sea ice on the other side increases. And blowing of 4Herz into that sea ice would make huge fractions break off after a few weeks. Then making headlines - oh dear climate change. And they would move their secret sauce agencies against people making comedy and parents who protested about school teaching kids how eat cockroaches.

This buddy was so convinced about his stories. Kind of lost contact with him. Why would I want to be associated with some freak like that anyway?

Anyway - can't remember the name of the country he spoke about. Weird thing was he was actually talking about simple science. Very basic stuff.

Guys get real!
There are conspiracy theories. That stuff is always absolute nonsense.
Just stay with the facts!

So what do I do with my lipos? Here the government is actively scaling down electricity production. Here the minister for economy spoke about having to scale down industry so people could heat in winter. That's real. Not the stupid theory stuff above. 😁

Last edited:
Back to the Lipo question.
How would we use them as a backup?
That would mean we'd have to store the batteries at full capacity instead of storage charge. There's no topping them up when the power is out.
Storage charge is perfect, i found dis-charge can lower a lipos volts too much.

I once gave a lipo a trickle charge on NIMH setting because it didn't want to charge, the cells were too low but that allowed me to charge it on lipo setting after around a 5min nimh charge. But yeah if it's too far gone it's gone i suppose.

I wouldn't store lipos at full charge, it's not good.

Better off just buying LFP batteries for backup power, minimal loss over time and great cycle life.
Also boosting voltage up to 240v isn't that inefficient provided you use decent equipment, I've recently been making my shed purely solar powered.
The shed is wired to the grid to ensure my 5kwh batteries are charged at night (much cheaper at night for me), using a consumer unit timer switch to determine when it is allowed to charge.
Currently using a Victron Multiplus II which has an internal relay which automatically detects if mains power is lost and will switch over to the batteries fast enough for electronics to not notice.

I'm also in the process of ordering 1.6kw of solar panels to pretty much not rely on the grid anymore.

Basically my shed will never be without power, nor will my home because the shed has a feed back into my home.

Better off just buying LFP batteries for backup power, minimal loss over time and great cycle life.
Also boosting voltage up to 240v isn't that inefficient provided you use decent equipment, I've recently been making my shed purely solar powered.
The shed is wired to the grid to ensure my 5kwh batteries are charged at night (much cheaper at night for me), using a consumer unit timer switch to determine when it is allowed to charge.
Currently using a Victron Multiplus II which has an internal relay which automatically detects if mains power is lost and will switch over to the batteries fast enough for electronics to not notice.

I'm also in the process of ordering 1.6kw of solar panels to pretty much not rely on the grid anymore.

Basically my shed will never be without power, nor will my home because the shed has a feed back into my home.
If I had a shed I would do things differently. Was officially forbidden to have a shed. Normally 10 square meter are allowed without an extra permission. Went and asked specifically because I did not want to tear it down. Has to do with the percentage of area in a certain living area that has to be free of the ground beeing sealed. Having some kind of 5 or 20 kwh lithium battery ( in the cellar) - not for me. Seen too many lithium batteries burn.

Everything with solar panes above 600Watt (could be 700W) needs a special permission. And you have to report it to the tax office. Even if it's not on grid.

Some neighbours have a tiny solar 600W setup that you just plug into the wall socket and it feeds into the system. At power outage it shuts down. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😥

Basically I build some of my own furniture. So I was thinking about building some contraption that would be a nice lamp using existing lipos. 24V LED strips would probably work.

(And now and then I go on a little rant. Just frustrating at times when you see stuff waaaay before others. While just about nobody gets it.)

Last edited:
If I had a shed I would do things differently. Was officially forbidden to have a shed. Normally 10 square meter are allowed without an extra permission. Went and asked specifically because I did not want to tear it down. Has to do with the percentage of area in a certain living area that has to be free of the ground beeing sealed. Having some kind of 5 or 20 kwh lithium battery ( in the cellar) - not for me. Seen too many lithium batteries burn.

Everything with solar panes above 600Watt (could be 700W) needs a special permission. And you have to report it to the tax office. Even if it's not on grid.

Some neighbours have a tiny solar 600W setup that you just plug into the wall socket and it feeds into the system. At power outage it shuts down. :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😥

Basically I build some of my own furniture. So I was thinking about building some contraption that would be a nice lamp using existing lipos. 24V LED strips would probably work. Got a gas generator that comes in handy when charging RC batteries when out in the countryside bashing. So charging lipos when necessary is not an issue to me.

(And now and then I go on a little rant. Just frustrating at times when you see stuff waaaay before others.)
Lithium iron phosphate won't burn unless you're sitting on it with a blowtorch, they're not as energy dense as lithium polymer or lithium ion, but they're infinitely more safe and stable.

That's a big yikes concerning 600-700w restrictions, where I live you're limited to 3kW or so if I remember correctly. Though even if I were to go bigger than the 1.6kW I've bought, the hell would I tell anyone.
Personally I would invest in small lithium iron phosphate for lights, they're much happier at full charge than a standard lipo and I believe most RC chargers support charging that chemistry too.

You certainly can go over 600Watt over here but there is a different set of rules. Not allowed to install yourself. ...weird stuff. And insanely expensive for a decent setup.

Storage charge is perfect, i found dis-charge can lower a lipos volts too much.

I once gave a lipo a trickle charge on NIMH setting because it didn't want to charge, the cells were too low but that allowed me to charge it on lipo setting after around a 5min nimh charge. But yeah if it's too far gone it's gone i suppose.

I wouldn't store lipos at full charge, it's not good.
I am not sure you got my point.
Question was if lipo batteries are suitable for backup when power goes down on the grid.
Since we store lipo's at storage voltage, we won't have full capacity when the grid fails.

I am not sure you got my point.
Question was if lipo batteries are suitable for backup when power goes down on the grid.
Since we store lipo's at storage voltage, we won't have full capacity when the grid fails.
Aha there we go...well if the grid goes down then trust me, driving your car will be the last thing on your mind.

I would buy a generator, problem solved.

if thing's got worse post grid collapse, you'll be driving your car for very different purposes...like reconnaissance.

Or get eyes in the sky before you step out the door...someone should start a Worst Case Scenario Thread.

Aha there we go...well if the grid goes down then trust me, driving your car will be the last thing on your mind.

if thing's got worse post grid collapse, you'll be driving your car for very different purposes...like reconnaissance.

Or get eyes in the sky before you step out the door...someone should start a Worst Case Scenario Thread.

I have a "backup generator" to backup another generator..
Just in case. 😉👊

What are you talking about?
The original question RC-Dude asked was:

"So I am wondering about the best use of lipos. Have a couple of those. Putting a few parallel of them does give quite some backup energy. At least for light. I'm not going to sit in the dark for a single hour knowing I have loads of lipos."

What are you talking about?
The original question RC-Dude asked was:

"So I am wondering about the best use of lipos. Have a couple of those. Putting a few parallel of them does give quite some backup energy. At least for light. I'm not going to sit in the dark for a single hour knowing I have loads of lipos."
I replied to you...not to RC Dude.

Sent you a DM...

Last edited:
If you drive 1/5 cars an inverter generator is not a bad idea anyway. The price of of four 4s lipos is as much as a 1500 - 2000 Watt inverter generator. Those things are not too big, small enough to stand on the floor in front of a backseat of any car. Not even a luxury but common sense. Charge while you drive.
Good for coffee during blackout. 😁 But running that at night might make some neighbours unhappy.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back