Need help printing counterbores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
Hey fellas @Dutch @Tex Koder @Camaroboy383 and other fellow 3d print enthusiasts.

Printing this part face-down as I want that carbon fiber finish. I cannot get a solid finish where the bolt sits on the counterbore face.

I’ve tried many different Z top distances but cannot get the finish required.

PLA with PLA top interface. Slicer is Bambu Studios/Orcaslicer for those wondering.

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

I'm not familiar with Bambu slicer..

But look to see > the Support's
Top Interface Density

Increase it to at least 45-55%

That should get you closer to the finish that you're looking for.

Last edited:
What z distances are you using?.. and I agree with interface density.. I usually run 100% support density..

But my overall suggestion is to not print it upside down..

Your initial layer height looks large as well.. .3?

I thing you need supports to do that but it wont be pretty either. I use cura never tried to print something like that upside down tho. I have a corbin fiber looking magnetic sheet nothing sticks on it

I thing you need supports to do that but it wont be pretty either. I use cura never tried to print something like that upside down tho. I have a corbin fiber looking magnetic sheet nothing sticks on it

It already is supported..🤷

What z distances are you using?.. and I agree with interface density.. I usually run 100% support density..

But my overall suggestion is to not print it upside down..

Your initial layer height looks large as well.. .3?
Z distance is 0.18. If I go less, its difficult to separate.

Does a button head screw go there? Why does it matter how that part of the print looks if it won’t be seen in the final application?

Does a button head screw go there? Why does it matter how that part of the print looks if it won’t be seen in the final application?
Allen cap screws.

It matters because (a) quality is important and (b) because I know I can do better.

Allen cap screws.

It matters because (a) quality is important and (b) because I know I can do better.
Fair enough. I would try any combo of the following things.

Smaller nozzle
Smaller layer height
Higher support interface density
Smaller support Z distance
Smaller support XY distance
More support interface layers
Slower print speed

Last edited:
Z distance is 0.18. If I go less, its difficult to separate.

What layer height are you running?

Using cura?

Xy distance around the support to the model?..

I run .12 z distance with no removal issues.. it's important your interface layer is 1mm thick to ease removal.. it needs to be rigid..

Also what hot end temps?

It's a matter of pride and the quality of work/production.

Yes, Nobody else will notice that area under the screw head.. specially at that scale.
But he Will know.

And it'll bother him to no end , leaving it in that condition...
Especially when he knows he can achieve better.

Hey fellas @Dutch @Tex Koder @Camaroboy383 and other fellow 3d print enthusiasts.

Printing this part face-down as I want that carbon fiber finish. I cannot get a solid finish where the bolt sits on the counterbore face.

PLA with PLA top interface. Slicer is Bambu Studios/Orcaslicer for those wondering.

View attachment 331418

View attachment 331419

View attachment 331420
If you can share the file it might help us understand what's going on.

View attachment 331418

View attachment 331419

View attachment 331420
One other thing you might want to try is printing it in one color, the color change maybe effecting the print? just a thought.

I reduced the bridge flow rate from 1.0 to 0.8mm. It isn’t perfect, mind you, but at least I’m headed in the right direction.

That's interesting.
I've never even thought to do that...

I'll have to look into it myself.
Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back