New MT12 Surface Radio Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Mom always said "Drive like a Maniac"
Premium Member
Military Veteran
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Granite Grom
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
  9. Typhon 6s
New transmitter from RadioMaster with all kinds of bells and whistles. They took the best stuff from their drone/plane radios and put them in a ground vehicle radio. $130.00 + $60 for the adapter

16 channels (32 with adapter)
60+ models
Will work with most receivers (with adapter)
3+ km range

Doesn't work with most of my receivers, DSMR or ANT protocols are not supported. Seeing a lot of hype for this thing, hope people are happy with it. As I understand it a lot of the protocols though are not plug and play. Like many other open source things, you might need to dive in head first to get this thing how you want it unless you already have experience with this stuff through their Air remotes.

https://www.multi-module.org/basics/supported-protocols
SLT might work but there's a warning about it being sketchy

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 6.11.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 6.11.07 PM.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
I like the modular design. Adds upgradability and is customizable. My favorite thing is the fact that you can just plug it in and charge it. That’s a feature I’ve been wanting for a long time. This thing has a chance to really change the hobby if it’s reliable.
And it has a lanyard loop. Take notes Horizon….

Doesn't work with most of my receivers, DSMR or ANT protocols are not supported. Seeing a lot of hype for this thing, hope people are happy with it. As I understand it a lot of the protocols though are not plug and play. Like many other open source things, you might need to dive in head first to get this thing how you want it unless you already have experience with this stuff through their Air remotes.

https://www.multi-module.org/basics/supported-protocols
SLT might work but there's a warning about it being sketchy
I see DSM is supported

I have been slowly finding myself drawn to this radio more and more.

I am reading that for plane/drone use eLRS has been noted to support 30km range with 100mW power. The FCC eLRS version of the MT12 radio can broadcast 250mW.
Everything ground use has less range, but if we were even talking 10% of 30km that would still be around 1.8 miles range.

I very much dislike the idea of using a signal booster on my radio and having more batteries and potential connection issues. Loosing radio signal is a big issue for speedrun guys as you could imagine. If I can simplify anything that I have to bring out to go make runs that brings a value to me personally.

It seems this radio can do just about anything programming wise you would want. I am hearing it does have a throttle control like perfect pass.

I love my Noble NB4 but my 2 complaints would be you cannot see the screen in daylight and the setup for a signal booster is a little annoying.
I might switch teams :) but have yet to see a great straight down a road range test of this radio. So far people are taking turns and showing how far it goes with out any measurement of distance.

Last edited:
This showed that it bound to a DSM2 receiver, not DSMR. That is a dual protocol receiver. DSMR failed in the next few minutes.
Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 2.00.35 PM.png

The only reason it bound to that receiver was because it was using the DSM2 protocol side rather than the DSMR one. DSMR bind attempts fail as shown in the next scene.

This showed that it bound to a DSM2 receiver, not DSMR. That is a dual protocol receiver. DSMR failed in the next few minutes.
View attachment 339425
The only reason it bound to that receiver was because it was using the DSM2 protocol side rather than the DSMR one. DSMR bind attempts fail as shown in the next scene.
Thanks for the knowledge! I also found the answer from the Radiomaster as well. No biggie for me as I only use one DSMR RX and it does OK.
401769938_1418574009091686_6122948013231424760_n.jpg
401751340_1418574109091676_3820810866078472438_n.jpg

So far people are taking turns and showing how far it goes with out any measurement of distance.
I have gone 300 meters with 95-99 rssi remaining at 100mW and 333hz (I forgot to look at the link quality on my radio tx which would have been a more accurate measurement) I also held the mt12 in the worst possible angle to test if it made any difference: the rssi dropped down to failsafe immediately.
I have seen a video of chadrainsfpv who went about 1100 meters or so.....

The MT12 is far better value than my rcg6s v3 radiolink... so much better. But you have to invest quite some time to set everything up the way you want.
Screenshot 2023-12-28 003341.png

I have gone 300 meters with 95-99 rssi remaining at 100mW and 333hz (I forgot to look at the link quality on my radio tx which would have been a more accurate measurement) I also held the mt12 in the worst possible angle to test if it made any difference: the rssi dropped down to failsafe immediately.
I have seen a video of chadrainsfpv who went about 1100 meters or so.....

The MT12 is far better value than my rcg6s v3 radiolink... so much better. But you have to invest quite some time to set everything up the way you want.
View attachment 339459

Anything over 520 meters is good.
I can not see beyond that distance anyway. I like chadrainsFPV video, but is just not the same as seeing how far it can go down a straight road for speed use.
Maybe I'll have to be the one to make that video ;)

Last edited:
Anything over 520 meters is good.
I can really see beyond that anyway. I like chadrainsFPV video but is just not the same as seeing how far it can go down a straight road.
Maybe i'll have to be the one to make that video ;)
I am confident that you could get double that range with 250mW and 50hz mode😎. But you will have to order a pwm elrs receiver with an external antenna

I am confident that you could get double that range with 250mW and 50hz mode😎. But you will have to order a pwm elrs receiver with an external antenna
In the video shown above about latency / response he indicated the external antenna RX was almost the worst tested. I suppose if the ceramic antenna RX works well enough then I am good with that.

1703778927219.png

1703778890666.png

In the video shown above about latency / response he indicated the external antenna RX was almost the worst tested. I suppose if the ceramic antenna RX works well enough then I am good with that.

View attachment 339603

View attachment 339602
That's probably because it's not an elrs receiver. However, it would be interesting to see the range difference between a real antenna and an internal ceramic antenna..
Maybe I put the ir3c elrs receiver in my buggy and test it's range🤔

That's probably because it's not an elrs receiver. However, it would be interesting to see the range difference between a real antenna and an internal ceramic antenna..
Maybe I put the ir3c elrs receiver in my buggy and test it's range🤔
That is a good point.
Probably the ER6 2.4GHz ELRS PWM Receiver would be a good option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back