Radio upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had many radio's since being in the hobby and without a doubt my most favorite radio is the Futaba brand. I have the Futaba 4PL which has since been improved and replaced by the Futaba 4PLS.

Futaba is an old brand and probably reliable. A 4PLS is not really cheap (270 € with two recievers) and for differents cars the extra receivers are not cheap too.
I'm waiting their answer. I didn't found on their website waterproof or water resistant receiver. I'm really surprise that a brand like Futaba seems to do not make it.
Anyway, what's the advantage to use a four channels system when we need two channels on brushless rc car ? Are you always happy with your system ? No issue ?
I'm searching to use a single radio for several cars, but if the receiver are not waterproof, it's a problem. Perhaps a Sanwa mt4s ? Or a cheaper radio system with 10$ receiver. I buy a lot, if one burn, not a big issue.

I use the Radiolink tx and their rx( builtin avc that fits in the Kraton rx box)its a 4 channel with many options and 15 model memory,i paid around $50 for both rx and tx.It has a internal switch that increases range if needed( plenty range on stock setting).

...Perhaps a Sanwa mt4s ? Or a cheaper radio system with 10$ receiver. I buy a lot, if one burn, not a big issue.

Over here in Europe Sanwa is a high-end brand, with very expensive Rx's.
The extra channels can be used for telemetry or a crawler (4 wheel steering, functional winch, manual gearbox...)

I use several transmitter. One Kopropo Helios (the older one) for the most of my models, a FlySky clone Absima CT4 for my 1:10 SC with lights and telemetry, and also the ttx300.
With diffbrain it is difficult to find a TX which has an programable 4 position channel.
With the Nero I do not need telemetry, course I have not time to watch on the display while driving ;)
Has anybody an idea to hack the ttx300 to add just one more channel? A switch will be enough...

Regards,
lonee

Now I understand.
Indeed the Sanwa mt4s has a programmable 4th channel, which can even be operated with the small scroll wheel on the Tx.

I am looking for something like that for my to built RC jet boat. I need to be able to adjust the vertical nozzle trim, but do not want to step over to a stick radio.
But for me the Sanwa is so bloody expensive, not to mention the Rx's

For brand like Futaba or Sanwa, it's not a question of functionnality for me. I have another radio that give me a ton of this and I do not use. I do not avc or other gyro to supply me. It's the contrary. If you want to be good, learn hard !
The question is reliability. The functions are the same on booth transmitter but for the price of Sanwa receiver I can buy a complete system with two receivers (waterproof) for the same price. So much difference in the price. Who lies ?

I don't know the actual price but the FlySky clone Absima CT4 will give you the option Boat!
You can also make a mixer setup between the channels (total 4 ch). I think that a import from china will coast maybe less 50€ together with voltage and rpm telemetry. The position of the channels like trim can be read on the display.
Its a cheap radio and you can not compare it to Sanwa, or Spectrum or other high quality TX.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 53
I don't know the actual price but the FlySky clone Absima CT4 will give you the option Boat!
You can also make a mixer setup between the channels (total 4 ch). I think that a import from china will coast maybe less 50€ together with voltage and rpm telemetry. The position of the channels like trim can be read on the display.
Its a cheap radio and you can not compare it to Sanwa, or Spectrum or other high quality TX.

Flysky for me is more expansive than Absima. I can get an CT4 with temp, rpm, voltage, rechargeable battery for 132 € shipped. I can't imagine the price for this to Futaba or Sanwa or Specktrum.
Are you happy with your radio ?
For me quality is quite simple : I prefer a Absima working that a Sanwa fails. I took a look on Rctech and other popular rc forums oversea. There not a lot of complain for Sanwa or Futaba and this not true for Spectrum.
And if I believe a guy working in an hobbyshop for 3 years, Spectrum was the worst radio reliability of all the brand they sale on this shop.
Now the time is confused. Many brands make low cost product that are not better or worst than brand with less reputation. The high price make you thinking it's better. It's marketing (expemple : I changed the mother board 3 times (one per year) on Macbook pro 17" early 2011 and my Acer laptop works for 3 years too and I no have any issue, an make harder job. For one Apple, I can purchase 4 Acer for the same powerfull computer. Where is the legendary brand quality ?

Anyway, how long do you have your radio system. I'm always affraid by the touchscreen... And is it working fine ?

Well, I have two Futaba stick transmitters and some Rx's and servo's.
They all still work. I purchased them back in 1987....;)

But I agree, it is hard to tell which product is good quality and which one is bad.

Unfortunately the FlySky does not offer a trimable 3rd channel. I am not looking for a mixer function, which all brands do offer

Aboulafia
That all clones! Mine comes from Voltcraft but it is just relabeled. I have the TX since January 2016 and he has an Lipo in it.
Charging over an USB plug or a power bank if you are not at home. Some points are good.
But be honest, it is a cheep TX and if you take it in you´re hand you will realize what I mean.
It is not the same haptically like the higher priced TX´s. For me it is enough, course I drive my 1:10SC and my AX10 with them. (The TX supports 4 wheel steering)

Unusual RC thats not right. With the GT4 you can make an switch setup which will allows to trim ch3 or 4 with push buttons.
I use that to adjust the gyro sensitivity while driving. Ch4 setup is for switching the lights.
In case of the crawler I take an different memory and also the setup of the switches are will be changed.

Nice options which I want to have in a TX with a little better mechanical quality, but I red some days ago that there will be an new 6ch Colt TX on the market.....

Regards,
lonee

Unusual RC thats not right. With the GT4 you can make an switch setup which will allows to trim ch3 or 4 with push buttons.
I use that to adjust the gyro sensitivity while driving. Ch4 setup is for switching the lights.

I am talking about the Sanwa GT-4S or Airtronics. These should be the same Tx.

If that is the one you have, you canonly trim a 3rd or 4th channel with push buttons?

I am looking for such a Tx for a while now.
I had a very nice Futaba Tx 4 channel for my AX-10 with 4WS. This one could not do it either. I sold it.

? no, the GT4 has buttons to trim every channel. It is up to you which ones you want to use.
I thought that you need an separate channel which you can trim separate. But the GT4 can also handle that.
I just miss a separate potentiometer, because it ist faster to handle than pushing a button and wait. *beep beep beep....
The transmitter supports telemetry with Voltage, temperature and RPM. I had three sensors include. 1 x Voltage, 1 x temperature, 1 x RPM.
Also you get displayed the voltage of the RX onto the display....
No interferences from other transmitters like Spectrum DRM1, Carson flex wheel or the CR3P.
With both of these transmitters we hat trouble with missing links if there was cheap, nasty rtf-controller from Reely close to us.

The rebranded Absima called CR4T. Maybe take a look into their description.
Its just an cheap transmtter with many functions the other transmitters are missing.
But also cheap from the material.

Puh, a lot of words, but maybe it will be helpful for other people.

Regards,
lonee

Thanks @Ionee!

Indeed I need an extra full proportional channel to control a servo on the fly. So push buttons with a delay do not sound any good!

Basically I can do it with a 4 channel stick Tx, where this channel would be controlled by a "spring-less" lever (like trottle for an airplane) or slider.
Self centering is ok, but not a must.
A potential meter would suit too.

I will have a look in that Absima Tx.
Need a pair of their 75mm front shocks for my Fury anyway ;)

one thing to consider with the flysky gt3c is that it can be hacked to do up to 8 channels. this is very popular with the crawlers. and that is why i am about to buy one. but i will say that i have not had any problem with my spectrum DX4C on my talion with a 2 channel receiver or my slash with a 4ch. on other thing to consider is the delay in the set up fly sky has a long delay that would be more noticeable in a fast vehicle.

Unusual RC for what function do you need the 3.dr channel?
The CR4T can also do an Mix. For example while pulling the throttle-> moving backflaps downward on a powerboat.
Also ch3 and 4 together with the mix will allow you to move those flaps individual f.e. moving the outer flap more downward and the inner upward to get more control.
The time lag is not sooo big, but if you have the hole way, it takes a little more time than just turning a potentiometer to an other position.
I don't know if it possible to modify the transmitter, but I don't think so.

Capt_Ron CR4T has also 4-wheel steering out of the box without hacking. But its the same like GT3B or GT3C.
There is no 3.rd potentiometer. The other functions are all buttons or mix.

Unusual RC for what function do you need the 3.dr channel?
The CR4T can also do an Mix. For example while pulling the throttle-> moving backflaps downward on a powerboat.
Also ch3 and 4 together with the mix will allow you to move those flaps individual f.e. moving the outer flap more downward and the inner upward to get more control.
The time lag is not sooo big, but if you have the hole way, it takes a little more time than just turning a potentiometer to an other position.
I don't know if it possible to modify the transmitter, but I don't think so.

IM000723.JPG

Here is an example of a full scale jet-drive for a boat.
It steers by moving the small nozzle (end point) left or right.
But to trim you can also pull it up or down. This is vector steering!

I once heard the Sanwa/Airtronics had an extra small joystick you could link to a 3rd channel.
You cannot use a mix function for this, since this is something you must be able to trim independent from throttle and steering.

I have a gut feeling that I will end up with a stick Tx to accomplish this ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back