Limitless Raz Finally Gives LMT Motors a Go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He surmised ripple was the Fault. He should give the ESC one more chance with a High end cap Pack to prove this.
He should do some low speed passes and hopefuly he will Access the Data logs to monitor ripple.

Before he even said it, when the second ESC fried I though it was from a massive amp spike from braking.
The MGM ESC prices are absurd for anyone who isn’t pretty confident they’ll smash a world record. It sure ain’t me, man!

+1
Like Raz stated toward the end, The LMT is usually found in models not having any ESC's with Brake control.
My question is, how efficient can that 360 MT be if it is not designed for braking??? This limits its use for Speed running.
BTW, I thought MGM ESC's weren't all that.

+1
Like Raz stated toward the end, The LMT is usually found in models not having any ESC's with Brake control.
My question is, how efficient can that 360 MT be if it is not designed for braking??? This limits its use for Speed running.
BTW, I thought MGM ESC's weren't all that.

The LMT motors function very differently from any other brushless motor on the market. You might have seen the part where he said it feels weird because it rolls freely and has no motor pole magnetic "feel".

From what I understand the whole thing functions like an electro magnet versus a standard motor that interacts with the magnetic "poles" of neodymium magnets. This must make them a higher output generator!?

Last edited:
I've had an LMT motor and an MGM ESC. The motors are superb. I didn't get a chance to get anywhere near the speeds Raz gets but I was impressed with its torque and smoothness. You can get an option for a carbon fiber sleeve which gives an additional 10-15k of RPM. The internal fan option works well also. They are EXTREMELY PRICEY. My combo ran about $1100 and I only had the 8S ESC with a much smaller motor than the 3060 or 3080 he's running. Mines was a 2250 which was more of the 1/8 scale size (44mm diameter, 90mm length). I'd pay the price for another motor...they're worth it. He might have to adjust some of the XLX2 settings to keep it from frying itself. He could try using the drag brake setting where once you let off the throttle from a full pull the braking kicks in slowly. Since he's got a Futaba he could look into using the ABS feature on the controller to keep the brakes from
"slamming" on which might help prevent the current spikes. A good cap pack might help too. I say all of this to bring me to the MGM ESC...

The MGM has 3 to 4 different settings which can act as a braking function. One setting is called Freewheel which controls the amount of power given during neutral. You can set this to match the power applied during throttle, to stay at 100%, go to 0% (like a brake) or drop off in percentage increments. The drag brake function on the MGM is also very customizable in comparison to the XLX2. You can almost make the electric motor function like a 2 or 3 stroke nitro/gas by hitting the throttle then quickly punching it again to rev back up more than the initial hit. This works the same in reverse and braking. The MGM was very complicated. The interface was confusing and it took me almost 2 weeks to figure it out. The customer service at MGM is EXCELLENT and I received prompt call backs and emails whenever I had questions. They even pulled data logs for me and went over things I didn't understand. I still think the XLX2 is the better ESC for running 8S. I wouldn't spend the money (again) on an MGM ESC to run 8S. An 8S MGM will run north of $500 once you factor in shipping and taxes. MGM's advantage comes when running MORE than 8S like in larger 5th scale stuff that requires 10S,12S,14S or greater since the only other options at this point are Flier and the HobbyWing Max4. I've seen one other person run an LMT motor with an XLX2 and he swears by it. He said he pushes the timing past 15 and it never gets hot. He did say it's not as "torquey" but it makes up for it with smoothness, control and overall power.

I've had an LMT motor and an MGM ESC. The motors are superb. I didn't get a chance to get anywhere near the speeds Raz gets but I was impressed with its torque and smoothness. You can get an option for a carbon fiber sleeve which gives an additional 10-15k of RPM. The internal fan option works well also. They are EXTREMELY PRICEY. My combo ran about $1100 and I only had the 8S ESC with a much smaller motor than the 3060 or 3080 he's running. Mines was a 2250 which was more of the 1/8 scale size (44mm diameter, 90mm length). I'd pay the price for another motor...they're worth it. He might have to adjust some of the XLX2 settings to keep it from frying itself. He could try using the drag brake setting where once you let off the throttle from a full pull the braking kicks in slowly. Since he's got a Futaba he could look into using the ABS feature on the controller to keep the brakes from
"slamming" on which might help prevent the current spikes. A good cap pack might help too. I say all of this to bring me to the MGM ESC...

The MGM has 3 to 4 different settings which can act as a braking function. One setting is called Freewheel which controls the amount of power given during neutral. You can set this to match the power applied during throttle, to stay at 100%, go to 0% (like a brake) or drop off in percentage increments. The drag brake function on the MGM is also very customizable in comparison to the XLX2. You can almost make the electric motor function like a 2 or 3 stroke nitro/gas by hitting the throttle then quickly punching it again to rev back up more than the initial hit. This works the same in reverse and braking. The MGM was very complicated. The interface was confusing and it took me almost 2 weeks to figure it out. The customer service at MGM is EXCELLENT and I received prompt call backs and emails whenever I had questions. They even pulled data logs for me and went over things I didn't understand. I still think the XLX2 is the better ESC for running 8S. I wouldn't spend the money (again) on an MGM ESC to run 8S. An 8S MGM will run north of $500 once you factor in shipping and taxes. MGM's advantage comes when running MORE than 8S like in larger 5th scale stuff that requires 10S,12S,14S or greater since the only other options at this point are Flier and the HobbyWing Max4. I've seen one other person run an LMT motor with an XLX2 and he swears by it. He said he pushes the timing past 15 and it never gets hot. He did say it's not as "torquey" but it makes up for it with smoothness, control and overall power.
I have been anxious to see it used in speed-run applications.
Hopefully, we see more of it. The competition will help bring better developments and better products to market.

I wonder if Raz's hypothesis is correct? I don't remember seeing a spike in ripple when braking....

Since he's got a Futaba he could look into using the ABS feature on the controller to keep the brakes from
Or maybe Raz can develop a Perfect Pass brake module...basically the same thing as the launch control, just the other way around.

A mechanical disc in lieu of the ESC brake is always another option.:unsure:

Kind of funny timing - I was looking into adapting one of the quad disc brake setups from a Kyosho Inferno on my GT.
I was also kicking around the idea of using my center differential as a brake by mounting two shoes around it. Or just a strap that tightens around it.
My intention was just to keep heat out of the ESCs and motors from braking.

Imo if you're getting to the point of using an LMT and MGM it doesn't make much sense to not also have a custom platform for them. As great as the limitless is there's certainly improvements to be made if you're going to go that far.

Imo if you're getting to the point of using an LMT and MGM it doesn't make much sense to not also have a custom platform for them. As great as the limitless is there's certainly improvements to be made if you're going to go that far.
Agreed, especially since it’s widely held (though unconfirmed) that McCoy broke 200 with a single motor build and an XLX2. We mere mortals have plenty of room to grow without dropping a full stack on electronics.

Agreed, especially since it’s widely held (though unconfirmed) that McCoy broke 200 with a single motor build and an XLX2. We mere mortals have plenty of room to grow without dropping a full stack on electronics.
Yeah for normal people there's still plenty of aero and wheel/tyre relates tweaks the limitless can have to go faster. I see a lot of cars that with just a small aero tweaks could be much quicker and stable. It's only when you get to stuff like the nic case car or what liberty is doing I can see a LMT being useful unless you're using the limitless as some sort of static testing platform 👀

Yeah for normal people there's still plenty of aero and wheel/tyre relates tweaks the limitless can have to go faster. I see a lot of cars that with just a small aero tweaks could be much quicker and stable. It's only when you get to stuff like the nic case car or what liberty is doing I can see a LMT being useful unless you're using the limitless as some sort of static testing platform 👀

Right, but also I have less than 1/2 the aero drag so the XLX2 will have more than enough power to reach the speed limitations of the tires.
Even in my scenario, the XLX2 makes the most sense still.

For what it is worth the new 8s MgM car ESC is being tested by 2 guys I know and at least one is saying it gets very hot very quickly like how the MMX8s does when compared to the XLX2. He said it would not be an ideal ESC for heavy cars like 1/5 rigs.

Feedback is going to the MgM people so possibly they might make a v2 of this esc with better cooling. It all stems back to Castles Cryo-drive being much better.

Right, but also I have less than 1/2 the aero drag so the XLX2 will have more than enough power to reach the speed limitations of the tires.
Even in my scenario, the XLX2 makes the most sense still.

For what it is worth the new 8s MgM car ESC is being tested by 2 guys I know and at least one is saying it gets very hot very quickly like how the MMX8s does when compared to the XLX2. He said it would not be an ideal ESC for heavy cars like 1/5 rigs.

Feedback is going to the MgM people so possibly they might make a v2 of this esc with better cooling. It all stems back to Castles Cryo-drive being much better.
Yeah the xlx2 still likely makes the most sense either way. Just that if you are reaching for thst sort of power you can probably fix a lot of other more important issues first. Has anyone tried to top end car motor and ESC combo they sell?

Yeah the xlx2 still likely makes the most sense either way. Just that if you are reaching for thst sort of power you can probably fix a lot of other more important issues first. Has anyone tried to top end car motor and ESC combo they sell?
1/5 scale RC guys have, but never seen anything outperform the XLX2 in that space either.
I think the other problem is that if they claim 1000 amps, is it truly doing that? Someone would have to make a bench test method to confirm.

What about that $2K 15s ESC they sell? That’s the one I was expecting to see used for serious speed runs.
https://www.mgm-controllers.com/en/tmm-80063-3-for-cars-x2-series-pro
The problem is the size.
Even on a 1/5 scale rig with tons of room they take up too much space.

1680100811138.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back