RC Fire on the news 🔥 🔥

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they charged it in the car... Also, not in a bat-safe or ammo can, just the RC. Toy grades should stop using LiPos as they are too dangerous for inexperienced people. That sucks for the family, I hope they are fine.

WTF!!! Just maybe 2 days ago was checking my fire extinguisher and it needs to be replaced. Should have done so the same do but will go get one right now!!!
image.jpg
N I’m far from joking….that ish scary

And they charged it in the car... Also, not in a bat-safe or ammo can, just the RC. Toy grades should stop using LiPos as they are too dangerous for inexperienced people. That sucks for the family, I hope they are fine.
User error.
Done in the kitchen around the family and all.
Bet he never opened the manual. Because after all, it is just a TOY from Costco. And Costco has a very good return policy. FWIW.;)
Extinguisher helps for stuff that combusts around the lipo. But does nothing to put out a lipo fire at the battery.
Those lipo fumes were bad for their newborn child to be near.

Nimpacks are safer. Lets all start using Nimpacks. They don't explode because the charger prevents that??:unsure:
These lipos are just too dangerous.:rolleyes:
I bet lipo fires are more common than one thinks.
:p

I wish I knew more about how they were charging... what charger they were using, what amperage, what voltage...

I am willing to bet they were charging to over 4.2V.
User error.
Bet he never opened the manual. Because after all, it is just a TOY from Costco. And Costco has a very good return policy. FWIW.;)
Extinguisher helps for stuff that combusts around the lipo. But does nothing to put out a lipo fire at the battery.

Nimpacks are safer. Lets all start using Nimpacks. They don't explode because the charger prevents that??:unsure:
I like the comment at the end that the LiPos they sell at their store won't catch on fire....

Challenge accepted.

I wish I knew more about how they were charging... what charger they were using, what amperage, what voltage...

I am willing to bet they were charging to over 4.2V.
Probably a cheapo charger with no screen and just an LED that says if it's charged or not.
User error.

These borderline toy grade hobby grades usually come with a usb charger that has an LED or two to indicate if it's charged or not, that's definitely an issue too.

Probably a cheapo charger with no screen and just an LED that says if it's charged or not.

These borderline toy grade hobby grades usually come with a usb charger that has an LED or two to indicate if it's charged or not, that's definitely an issue too.

One of my kids toys came with a charger that had a switch on the side. It said Hi/Low and had a dull red LED and it was supposed to charge a small single cell Lipo...

I still don't know what they meant by Hi/Low, I think I only charged it once on low before it was broken and in the trash.

I had a toy Quad with the USB charger, and I fired one lipo up. The lipos were only like 3.4 volts, 150MAH.
And they still pop and smoke up.

Wonder why they cut out the section where it's being placed on the countertop. It just mysteriously appeared.
Glad they are all ok.
I was kind of wondering the same.

Many of the comments above mention the family was charging it on the counter but I couldn't see a cord coming from the truck show that it was charging at the time.

Most importantly though, I'm glad everyone is safe. Some scary stuff indeed.

Yeah they definitely need to do something about that, almost all underestimate the danger that comes with a Lipo.
that reminds me, I have my Buddies (T) rash in the trunk with a Lipo

That must have been scary as hell, the woman should have hustled her butt out of there pronto with the baby. Glad no one was injured and the fire was contained. I'm certain it was user error but dang!

The comments in this article kill me, I think everyone should call them and ask what brand their explosion proof lipos are.🤔

That is my local hobby shop making the brilliant comments in the article. Everyone there is a complete dimwit. I won't go there anymore.

It's a shame, several years ago they were an awesome shop, but got run into the ground when the original owner retired. I think the last six times or so that I went there, I left empty handed. I finally had to admit it is a waste of my time trying to give them any business.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back