Outcast Recommended motor for conditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffa

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hey everyone

Recently my brother’s Outcast motor destroyed itself and unfortunately won’t be covered under warranty (See pics).

We are looking to upgrade the motor / esc to something better quality and more reliable.

We run in mostly warm, dry, dirt, gravel & dusty environments and race each other and just mess around.

The motor will need to be waterproof (due to dust) and be at a good kv that helps reduce the heat. (Stock motor often shut down from heat.)

We aren’t after speed runs or anything, just a really good quality bashing motor. He still wants to be able to wheelie and backflip.

I know there are other posts on these forums regarding upgrading motors but I struggled to find any recommendations that suit our needs and are for the outcast.

Cheers

They said they believe it’s due to heat or water damage which isn’t covered under warranty.
We did have a few shutdowns due to heat and we always stopped but when this happened we didn’t even have a slightly warm battery.

But either way a good excuse for us to upgrade! Any suggestions? Would a sensored motor help keep heat down too?

They said they believe it’s due to heat or water damage which isn’t covered under warranty.
We did have a few shutdowns due to heat and we always stopped but when this happened we didn’t even have a slightly warm battery.

But either way a good excuse for us to upgrade! Any suggestions? Would a sensored motor help keep heat down too?
From what I've read sensored actually increases heat in higher speed vehicles (faster than crawler). I don't know if that's 100% true or not, just read that somewhere. Also, when motors and escs are hooked up in sensored mode, they are not waterproof. You can DIY waterproof them though. My suggestion would be to go to a lower KV motor like an 1800 or something to keep the temps down. Or you could also get the same motor you have and reduce the pinion size.

From what I've read sensored actually increases heat in higher speed vehicles (faster than crawler). I don't know if that's 100% true or not, just read that somewhere. Also, when motors and escs are hooked up in sensored mode, they are not waterproof. You can DIY waterproof them though. My suggestion would be to go to a lower KV motor like an 1800 or something to keep the temps down. Or you could also get the same motor you have and reduce the pinion size.

Do you recommend any particular motors / esc’s?

I'e had good luck with the castle 2200kv but if you run in tall grass it can get hot. Been running castle for 3 yrs on various rc and ive never had an issue such as you had.

I have heard good things about the leopard lower kv motors as well.

I'e had good luck with the castle 2200kv but if you run in tall grass it can get hot. Been running castle for 3 yrs on various rc and ive never had an issue such as you had.

I have heard good things about the leopard lower kv motors as well.

I’ll definitely look into those. We run short grass and loose dirt / stones if that helps

Unfortunately I don't really have any experience with any aftermarket motors except the castle 2200kv which @hotshot24mi pointed out gets hot. The big thing is to keep the motor diameter and length the same, or greater than stock and lower kv than stock, which I believe is 2050kv.

Last edited:
I agree with rahi I would go to a dual fan set up and just get the same motor the box motor is around 109.00 I have no experience with the 2200 kv from castle but I just ordered a 2028 by castle and it is quite a bit more pricey then the box motor so unless u already had fans on the canister then I would try that before stepping into a new motor and esc that is unless u were unhappy with the performance of the blx

blew my center diff 2 pieces has ne1 seen 1 do this before I kno I havnt

Attachments

• 20180221_154930.jpg
    20180221_154930.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180221_154934.jpg
    20180221_154934.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 47
Hey everyone

Recently my brother’s Outcast motor destroyed itself and unfortunately won’t be covered under warranty (See pics).

We are looking to upgrade the motor / esc to something better quality and more reliable.

We run in mostly warm, dry, dirt, gravel & dusty environments and race each other and just mess around.

The motor will need to be waterproof (due to dust) and be at a good kv that helps reduce the heat. (Stock motor often shut down from heat.)

We aren’t after speed runs or anything, just a really good quality bashing motor. He still wants to be able to wheelie and backflip.

I know there are other posts on these forums regarding upgrading motors but I struggled to find any recommendations that suit our needs and are for the outcast.

Cheers

I had to replace my ESC on my Outcast and went with a Hobbywing Max6. So far it' been great. I've "heard" castle is the best but don't know personally. Have you tried running a dual fan set up on your motor?

I have a mamba monster 2 with a 2200kv motor I put the aux castle fan they sell that fits on the motor to keep heat down and I only run on 4s now cause its just about as fast as the blx was on 6s. Good stuff!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back