reverse is faster than forward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Help.

I've got what seems to me to be a strange problem with my rc. Using a Traxxas TQi controller and running a max8 hobbywing 2600kv motor.

When I go forward on the controller, the rc goes forward, but does so quite slowly. When I go in reverse, it goes very in reverse fast (the speed it should probably be going in forward) and the wheels bulge and it usually flips on its head.

I've read some things about switching the wiring for the motor, or to change something on the controller. I was thinking maybe something is wrong with the receiver?

Has anyone expereinced this problem? Anyone have any ideas?

Most radios will have reverse switches for the throttle and steering. Usually the way your esc is program at 50% rev so that’s why you are going faster in reverse.

Here’s a video about it on your radio. Looks like it will need to be programmed. Then you may need to switch the motor wires as @suchtragedy said above.

Most radios will have reverse switches for the throttle and steering. Usually the way your esc is program at 50% rev so that’s why you are going faster in reverse.

I'm a bit new to rc. I'm not seeing reverse switches, but it does have "menu" and "set" switches, changes can probably be made from there.

When I switched to 70/30 it just went crazy fast in reverse and flipped over.

Look for a switch in your radio that says Normal/Reverse for Channel 2 and switch it, then swap any 2 of your motor wires around and you'll be set.

Looked at a driftomaniacs video describing switching throttle servos - that fixes a different problem (it fixes when forward on radio makes rc go in reverse and vice versa). Unfortunately, i think normal/reverse is somewhere hidden under menu and set in my radio.
What radio do you use? That info would help

traxxas top qualifier tqi 2.4ghz. it looks just like the one jimbobjr linked a video of.

It may be. When I pull forward, the does go forward. When I go in reverse it does go in reverse.

but it goes forward slowly. And goes in reverse at speeds I would expect when going forward.

That’s only part of the problem. Looks like I need to do what jimbob said and also switch the wires on the esc

Thanks to all. It worked. But I broke the sway bar pivot ball when testing it out. Onto the next project.

Help.

I've got what seems to me to be a strange problem with my rc. Using a Traxxas TQi controller and running a max8 hobbywing 2600kv motor.

When I go forward on the controller, the rc goes forward, but does so quite slowly. When I go in reverse, it goes very in reverse fast (the speed it should probably be going in forward) and the wheels bulge and it usually flips on its head.

I've read some things about switching the wiring for the motor, or to change something on the controller. I was thinking maybe something is wrong with the receiver?

Has anyone expereinced this problem? Anyone have any ideas?
On my 3s brushless typhon 4wd. Just swapped out the 100blx esc for a rcharlance 120. Everything is fine but I hit the throttle on the stand and in reverse it rips so much harder the wheels balloon instantly. Will I have to buy a program card? Is that why it is more powerful in reverse? I like how you can program the stock esc through the button and led and beeps. Even when I switch the TH/R on the back of the remote it still goes faster in reverse than forward. What two wires can I swap from above? There's red, orange, and blue.
This explains it a bit: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/fast-reverse-throttle.28372/

Last edited:
Switched blue with yellow. Scary how much it rips on the stand. I don't remember the old one being this spicy. Might rip it tomorrow at the track before it snows.

Try the rev throttle switch on the radio.
I just had to change my nephew's motor on the mega and ended up with the same issue. 1st thing I did was switch it on the remote but ofc it couldn't be that easy. I'm gonna try m figure it out today but if anyone knows wth is going on I'd really appreciate your help. Thx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back