Granite Servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangman66$

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 4s
hello hobbiest i was wondering if the blx servo would be the same size maybe better the problem I have been reading about them not working quickly thanks

hello hobbiest i was wondering if the blx servo would be the same size maybe better the problem I have been reading about them not working quickly thanks
I am running the ADS-15M servo found in the Kraton on recommendation by my LHS, and it's significantly slower when powered by our Mega ESC / BEC. It's fine for driving at speed, but for low speed, high precision handling, it's too slow.

I wonder if something like a Savox 0231MG would fit. Arrma lists the ADs-5 dimensions as 40mm x 38mm x 20mm and the Savox is 41.8mm x 42.9mm x 20.2mm. Savox 0231 has about the same specs (Torque @ 6v -15.0kg/208.3oz-in, Speed @ 6v - 0.17 sec/60 deg) as the ADS-15M (Torque 15kg/cm (208oz/inch) at 7.2V, Speed 0.16 sec/0.14 sec 6V/7.2V.) odd that the Torque @ 6V is not listed for the Arrma especially considering Arrmas becs are 6v max.

I wonder if something like a Savox 0231MG would fit. Arrma lists the ADs-5 dimensions as 40mm x 38mm x 20mm and the Savox is 41.8mm x 42.9mm x 20.2mm. Savox 0231 has about the same specs (Torque @ 6v -15.0kg/208.3oz-in, Speed @ 6v - 0.17 sec/60 deg) as the ADS-15M (Torque 15kg/cm (208oz/inch) at 7.2V, Speed 0.16 sec/0.14 sec 6V/7.2V.) odd that the Torque @ 6V is not listed for the Arrma especially considering Arrmas becs are 6v max.

I'm curious if you ended up trying one of these out and if so, how it worked out for you.

I'm curious if you ended up trying one of these out and if so, how it worked out for you.
The only Arrma rc that I currently have is the Outcast. I have no way to test that particular servo in the 4x4 mega platform. Was more just tossing ideas into the pot.

The only Arrma rc that I currently have is the Outcast. I have no way to test that particular servo in the 4x4 mega platform. Was more just tossing ideas into the pot.

Ah, I see. That's my mistake. I was just curious as to what does and doesn't work. I've seen where WoodiE recommended another Savox servo somewhere bit I think it was for a Kraton. Although, the brand piqued my interest when he stated that "there were none finer".

The Savox 1210sg, yeah it is a good servo but it costs about $50 more than the 0231SG, and it might be a tad overkill for a 1/10 rc 277.7 oz-in of torque @ 6.0v although I think the stock bec in the esc in the Mega 4x4 might be only 5v.

After digging around and checking specs and comparing options, I thinks that @slick2500's suggestion may fit the bill, so, I pulled the trigger on the Savox SW0231MG. This servo should still be overkill but at a decent price for something that is quality.

I found one on Ebay that came with a glitch buster for an extra dollar. I figured that this servo would be pulling just a wee bit more amperage and that it might be a good idea to nab one.

I'll update when it comes in.

I received the Savox SW-0231MG Servo in the mail today and it is absolutely awesome for the money.

Took old servo out, slapped new servo in, powered the Tx and the ESC to center the servo, disconnected power, slapped it all in, an Bam, Better Granite 4x4!

It did need very slight modification to fit. There are two gusset ribs on the mounting tabs that fit into a locating groove located in the receiver box. Those ribs rise at an angle causing them to bottom out in the grooves. All I had to do was remove about 1/16th" off of each side and then the servo was able to seat to depth. Also, I had to flip the steering switch on my transmitter to normal from reverse.

Performance is awesome. I ordered this with a glitch buster, and while I am not experiencing any glitching, I have noticed an increase in servo response with it installed. Makes sense that a capacitor would supply extra power when needed.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SW-023...Metal-Gear-Digital-Servo-Glitch-/390823718196

20180104_140213.jpg

Last edited:
Only bad things I have heard about those servos is they have a bit of slop in them, but for bashing you probably would never notice.

Guys quick question, I just replaced the stock servo on my sons Granite 4x4 but I lost all steering... did I do something wrong here? I plugged in the servo in channel 1 and throttle on channel 2. I slapped in the PDI-6221-MG 20K from Banggood.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Guys quick question, I just replaced the stock servo on my sons Granite 4x4 but I lost all steering... did I do something wrong here? I plugged in the servo in channel 1 and throttle on channel 2. I slapped in the PDI-6221-MG 20K from Banggood.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Always test the servo b4 installing it. You have to do this in order to center it for installation. It must stay centered for installation as well. Also make sure you plugged it in the right way. The gold connectors on the plug should face the 'B' bind plug on the rx. You don't have to remove the ESC plug either.

Always test the servo b4 installing it. You have to do this in order to center it for installation. It must stay centered for installation as well. Also make sure you plugged it in the right way. The gold connectors on the plug should face the 'B' bind plug on the rx. You don't have to remove the ESC plug either.

Thanks for the reply! I found out that I wasn’t plugging it in the right way and once I did I still goofed up and didn’t plug in the servo before tightening the screws up and had the truck turning left all the way so I had to start over. Definitely a good lesson learned and it was fun to just get in there and mess with things. Super easy truck to work on, my son was happy. He can’t wait to start bashing again.

Hi guys I am new b because the last car I had was A hornet and that was a long time ago . Just getting my son in to The hobby got him a granite mega 4 x 4 and we have already stripped the internal gear is on to steering servo’s . Just a thought but has anybody looked into loosening up the servo saver clamp so hopefully it slips rather than break gears

I received the Savox SW-0231MG Servo in the mail today and it is absolutely awesome for the money.

Took old servo out, slapped new servo in, powered the Tx and the ESC to center the servo, disconnected power, slapped it all in, an Bam, Better Granite 4x4!

It did need very slight modification to fit. There are two gusset ribs on the mounting tabs that fit into a locating groove located in the receiver box. Those ribs rise at an angle causing them to bottom out in the grooves. All I had to do was remove about 1/16th" off of each side and then the servo was able to seat to depth. Also, I had to flip the steering switch on my transmitter to normal from reverse.

Performance is awesome. I ordered this with a glitch buster, and while I am not experiencing any glitching, I have noticed an increase in servo response with it installed. Makes sense that a capacitor would supply extra power when needed.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SW-023...Metal-Gear-Digital-Servo-Glitch-/390823718196

View attachment 14547
Hows is that servo working will the servo saver work stock or not

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back