Granite Servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys I am new b because the last car I had was A hornet and that was a long time ago . Just getting my son in to The hobby got him a granite mega 4 x 4 and we have already stripped the internal gear is on to steering servo’s . Just a thought but has anybody looked into loosening up the servo saver clamp so hopefully it slips rather than break gears
You could give it a shot, but generally speaking the Arrma servos seem to be underpowered compared to what they go in. The stock servo died a few packs in on my Outcast, i rebuilt it and tossed it in my Ruckus and it's been just fine for a few months now. Most rtr servos are mediocre at best, that is one of the reasons we have multiple threads about servos.

I just got done putting in my new Servo. I went with the Savox IP67 water proof by reccomendation from my LHS, it’s has metal gearing, so it will last a long time. The stock Servo saver fit right on. (Arena Senton Mega 4x4)

Thanks
I just ordered replacement gears plastic for the ARRMA ADS 5
And both metal and plastic for Traxxas 2075
If we go through these I think I’ll be looking at the Savox

Always test the servo b4 installing it. You have to do this in order to center it for installation. It must stay centered for installation as well. Also make sure you plugged it in the right way. The gold connectors on the plug should face the 'B' bind plug on the rx. You don't have to remove the ESC plug either.

Thank you for this!
My memory, damn...
Very very good people on this site!
Thanks again!
RJP btw, nice to e meet you!

My granite 4x4 arrives tomorrow. All of the posts about servos have me concerned. So last night I ordered a Savox MG0230.

Is there a FULL YouTube video on how to install one. The ones I watched are basically - show the new servo, camera stop, old servo is magically out, show new and old servos together, camera stop, new Servo magically in, thirty second blurb on something they did to calibrate the servo and finally demonstration of wheels turning.

Those videos are not helpful to me because I need to see the parts that are off camera. I did see Arrma has one on how to take it out but not how to calibrate the new one. Any help there?

Thank you.

My granite 4x4 arrives tomorrow. All of the posts about servos have me concerned. So last night I ordered a Savox MG0230.

Those videos are not helpful to me because I need to see the parts that are off camera. I did see Arrma has one on how to take it out but not how to calibrate the new one. Any help there?

Thank you.

Shouldn't need to calibrate really. When you remove the servo mount, on the bottom side you'll see an arrow. After you install the servo, plug it in and turn on the receiver so your servo centers. After that, set your steering trim to middle, and THEN install the servo saver so it points to the arrow mentioned earlier. Then tighten everything up and try it out.

I used the Savox MG0231 which I think is just slightly larger. I had to use a knife to cut out part of the little triangle piece of plastic so the servo would sit properly (not rock back and forth) in the servo mount.

All in all, I smashed one stock servo, but the other is still going so I've left it. If getting used to driving the truck, you can leave the stock just in case you smash into a rock or wall. When it breaks, you can then swap the servo.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you. That is most helpful. I am trying to decide if I should proactively upgrade this weekend or if I should wait until one breaks.

Thank you. That is most helpful. I am trying to decide if I should proactively upgrade this weekend or if I should wait until one breaks.
Whether you do it now or later is up to you. Chances are, if you hit something and the servo dies, you might also need new front shock perch/shafts since they have a tendency to break on front impact....this is a whole other discussion.

Servo is awesome and it does work with the stock servo saver. The saver has come in handy twice already and did its job well.

Nosedive4130 - I own a granite as well and I want to upgrade my servo ..Care to share a pic or a video with your new Savox SW-0231MG & your Truck running?

I just got the Aliexpress DS3235-SSG, It's $18 but I got it for $14 with promo stuff. Of course, I have to throw it my 17lb Zennon.

It's replacing the JX junker. It still works great, but the Zennon is just too heavy for it.

I have to run it on 7.4v just for the heck of it :ROFLMAO:

I also got 4 more of the Banggod specials but I found they threw in a SPT whatever . . . 0.17s, my eyes feel slow & heavy just looking at it, but it was free :rolleyes: Maybe I'll throw it in a SCT :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good Question slick2500! My motto is if is not broke don't fix it but especially since the one that comes in the #Granite is pretty decent. When it is time to do my servo upgrade on my #Granite BLX truck it will be either any of the following below:
Arrma ADS-15M V2 Waterproof Servo (Red)

2075 Upgrade Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo 20kg Slash 4x4

or Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo

Attachments

• Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo.jpg
    Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Digital Servo.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 46
Having just done the 20kg servo in my Granite... I can attest that it is an entirely different machine. No more wandering, no more constant fiddling with steering trims, and grass and asphalt handling is superb, and dirt handling is much more predictable.

Its actually slower than the stock 7kg with no load... but under load is where it actually matters. Plus, adjusting the toe-in can compensate for the loss of over-all servo speed if you're really looking to get the truck to handle better.

All-in-all, the servo alone will only make it better in strength and repeatability/predictability. To really make it handle better you're changing diff fluid, aluminum turn-buckles, aluminum steering bell crank with bearings, and getting the slop out of your stub axles... maybe swapping wheels and tires.

That being said... all those mods won't be as good as they can be without a good, strong servo to push them around.

20-25kg should be the bare-minimum on any 3S or higher RC. The stock one is purely in there to meet a $300 price point.

Shouldn't need to calibrate really.

What? No. You need to set your dual-rate so that full lock left/right aren't extending the servo past where it can turn the wheels. That's probably 80% of why people break their servos -- they don't set their dual-rate, so everytime they go full left/right it's overextending the servo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back