Smilinbri's RC track build-Ridin' Dirty Raceway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weed killer does ok. The hay salt works better, but need to make sure it gets watered down after application.

Today I used a GC my son got me for my bday in June and got a weed torch. You hook it up to a propane tank. Of course I only had a little left (stole from my grill) so didn't get it all done today. It was fun torchin' the weeds though. That thing is LOUD. Sounds like a jet engine. 😂 We'll see how this works out. 🤞(Didn't help it's like 99° out. 🙄)
20230720_145720.jpg
20230720_145718.jpg

The weed killer does ok. The hay salt works better, but need to make sure it gets watered down after application.

Today I used a GC my son got me for my bday in June and got a weed torch. You hook it up to a propane tank. Of course I only had a little left (stole from my grill) so didn't get it all done today. It was fun torchin' the weeds though. That thing is LOUD. Sounds like a jet engine. 😂 We'll see how this works out. 🤞(Didn't help it's like 99° out. 🙄)
View attachment 312447View attachment 312448
Spray it all down with soapy water and white vinegar.do it for 4 days and all the weeds will be gone, roots and all👍

Also, if you add salt, nothing will grow back. There's a recipe for this on the web somewhere.
For a RC track salt is not ideal. Many use steel and aluminum parts that do not tolerate salt.kiss your BB's good bye. I'd stear clear from salt.i would not use salt even in flower beds or gardens.no bueno,changes the soil pH and chemistry.for driveways it's also no bueno..unless you want cracks..salt is not cheap .that's another reason not to use it...use dawn or any cheap ass dish liquid soap with water.i use a 2 gallon sprayer 70 percent water 10 percent soap and 20 percent white vinegar 👍make sure you have 4 to 5 days of no rain .spray the weeds everyday .after a week you'll notice the weeds dry out and won't come back
Also salt does not evaporate .if will stay in soil for a long time .it would take a lot of water for it to be pushed down deep in to the soil.you can dilute it but no matter what it's going to remain in the soil. for a while.

Last edited:
I had very little issues with weeds when I owned a track, however was using clay and layered it on about 10 inches thick. When the clay hardened, it was like a rock. What few weeds poked through, we tore the crap out of them with the 5th scale beasts.

For a RC track salt is not ideal. Many use steel and aluminum parts that do not tolerate salt.kiss your BB's good bye. I'd stear clear from salt.i would not use salt even in flower beds or gardens.no bueno,changes the soil pH and chemistry.for driveways it's also no bueno..unless you want cracks..salt is not cheap .that's another reason not to use it...use dawn or any cheap ass dish liquid soap with water.i use a 2 gallon sprayer 70 percent water 10 percent soap and 20 percent white vinegar 👍make sure you have 4 to 5 days of no rain .spray the weeds everyday .after a week you'll notice the weeds dry out and won't come back
Also salt does not evaporate .if will stay in soil for a long time .it would take a lot of water for it to be pushed down deep in to the soil.you can dilute it but no matter what it's going to remain in the soil. for a while.
Salt works well, just gotta water it down good after application. It does not affect the cars as it soaks into the ground. It doesn't just lay there on top and I don't run rigs right after salting it. I've had no issues at all with my rigs. It is cheap. Cheaper than the amount of soap and vinegar I'd need to cover the track. You can get a 50lb bag of hay salt for $7.

I WANT it to remain in the soil/dirt for a long time. Not planning on growing anything on the track.

Clay would have been better, but can't afford it.

BTW, it appears Google updated the satellite pics of my house just recently. Too cool! (y) 😁 ✌️
Screenshot_20230721_135014_Maps.jpg

Looks like some sort of Myan glyphs viewed from space to me.....that can only mean ....ALIENS! 👽

You mean Aztec , right?

See..

1689967203251.png

1689967251553.png

Serpent

We used that recipe with salt in an alley where we didn't want anything to grow back. Worked well. But on his RC track, yeah, not good.
Yup in a alley no problem .👍 I also don't recommend using Round up..it's giving people cancer still for those who have had prolonged exposure.stay away from that deadly stuff
No bueno. At one of my local hobby shops they have a out door track and what they did was 6" deep they layed down a weed barrier. Honestly I believe the owner used industrial size trash bags .Then he layed down some sort of fine net then pea stone then I believe 6" of compact dirt mixed with gray clay .I never see weeds in his track .
Salt works well, just gotta water it down good after application. It does not affect the cars as it soaks into the ground. It doesn't just lay there on top and I don't run rigs right after salting it. I've had no issues at all with my rigs. It is cheap. Cheaper than the amount of soap and vinegar I'd need to cover the track. You can get a 50lb bag of hay salt for $7.

I WANT it to remain in the soil/dirt for a long time. Not planning on growing anything on the track.

Clay would have been better, but can't afford it.

BTW, it appears Google updated the satellite pics of my house just recently. Too cool! (y) 😁 ✌️
View attachment 312567
I'm gladd your having no issues using salt on your track .👍 I was going by from what I hear from my local track owners and if you mention the word salt they would smack the back of your head lol.ask me how I know .🤣🤣 I mentioned salt one time and I found out old people smack hard 😆.

Last edited:
and what they did was 6" deep they layed down a weed barrier. Honestly I believe the owner used industrial size trash bags .Then he layed down some sort of fine net then pea stone then I believe 6" of compact dirt mixed with gray clay .I never see weeds in his track .
Yea, that's the ideal/proper way to do it. But I ain't digging it that deep and doin all that for my personal track. If I ever win the lotto and build a local track, I will def do something like that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back