Fireteam Someone help talk me out of this Castle combo…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyrus

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
New to Arrma, new to this Fireteam I got, but already thinking about upgrades on this beast! Scrolling through Amazon and spotted the MMX8 1717-1260kv combo on sale for $255. I love the Castle combos in a couple other cars and the only thing holding me back is the 1260kv. Primarily running 6S so it would take a significant pinion increase to see stock speeds but not the end of the world. If it was the 1717-1650kv or 1520-1650kv I’d jump on it. Not sure if I’d be happy “settling” for this combo. Thoughts or experience with this combo would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4983.jpeg

I have a couple of those MMX8S/1260kv combos and run them on 6S. Fireteam. Infraction. It's a great combo - big power, smooth throttle, and automatic motor temp cutoff.

I have several 1650kv 1717s as well and can't tell any difference in power between those and the 1260kv.

Gearing that 1260kv 24/50 should get you to about 60mph in the Fireteam (on 6S). You'll need a smaller spur gear if you want higher speeds.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-well-would-this-combo-work-out-in-a-kxl.64879/
See post number 3.
I have a couple of those MMX8S/1260kv combos and run them on 6S. Fireteam. Infraction. It's a great combo - big power, smooth throttle, and automatic motor temp cutoff.

I have several 1650kv 1717s as well and can't tell any difference in power between those and the 1260kv.

Gearing that 1260kv 24/50 should get you to about 60mph in the Fireteam (on 6S). You'll need a smaller spur gear if you want higher speeds.
You beat me to the punch! 😂

Nothing like seeing a post from a couple hours ago asking my exact question…😩

Appreciate the info! Have you seen significant temperature differences when gearing the 1260 up to the speeds of the 1650 or do you use the 1650 to avoid having to gear up?
I'm a bit of a self-admitted Castle fanboy...sooo uhhh yea, Buy It! 😁
Yeahhhh I kinda am too which is why I’m struggling not to…😬

New to Arrma, new to this Fireteam I got, but already thinking about upgrades on this beast! Scrolling through Amazon and spotted the MMX8 1717-1260kv combo on sale for $255. I love the Castle combos in a couple other cars and the only thing holding me back is the 1260kv. Primarily running 6S so it would take a significant pinion increase to see stock speeds but not the end of the world. If it was the 1717-1650kv or 1520-1650kv I’d jump on it. Not sure if I’d be happy “settling” for this combo. Thoughts or experience with this combo would be greatly appreciated!

I use the MMX8S with the stock 2050kv daily on my Kraton. 6S 3:10 ratio. My temps are good with a Rocket 35mm fan at 7.5V. I also run an MMX8S with a Castle 1650kv 17t since the stock motor wasn't a fan of lugging around the Proline MX38s. As far as talking you out of the combo, the best I can do is talking you out of the lower KV.

My Spektrum 2050 does exceptionally well with the MMX8S alone, even at 15 degrees of timing in the summer months. That being said, I sanded the contact point and applied thermal compound between the heat sink and motor. If you're wondering about thermal pastes viability on RCs, just know it's magic. Hottest I know I've gotten the can was 175.
DSC07720.jpg

I wouldn't touch the 1260 kv with a 10 foot pole and would 100% get the 1650kv instead. Even castle claims it's the better motor lol. I've read numerous posts on here with people not happy with it compared to the 1650. Hell one guy was just in the discord a few days ago talking about how he regretted getting the 1260. It runs hotter too.

View attachment 320062
their sensor sucks
I wouldn't touch the 1260 kv with a 10 foot pole and would 100% get the 1650kv instead. Even castle claims it's the better motor lol. I've read numerous posts on here with people not happy with it compared to the 1650. Hell one guy was just in the discord a few days ago talking about how he regretted getting the 1260. It runs hotter too.
Why so bad?

You aren't going to beat the performance and capability with any other Combo for that price, NEW with warranty.

I just put together a used mmx8s and 1515 sensored for less than $200, but would've jumped on this combo easily instead.
1693593393531.png

The more I consider it, the more I think I’d feel the same. I do think I would like it but it would probably bother me knowing it isn’t exactly what I wanted. I’ve bought a fair amount of rc stuff just because it was a good deal then it sits around and I wonder what I was thinking. 😬
their sensor sucks

Why so bad?
What do you mean by their sensor sucking? I have a couple 3S sensored combos and they seem great but I also haven’t owned any other sensored brands so I can’t compare.
You aren't going to beat the performance and capability with any other Combo for that price, NEW with warranty.

I just put together a used mmx8s and 1515 sensored for less than $200, but would've jumped on this combo easily instead.
View attachment 320090
The price is so goood. 😩 If I can convince my LHS to match Amazon I might get it. (Because I’m lazy and trash and don’t want to solder my own connectors into it, SO SUE ME!)

I just went through a sensor problem with the 2028 1100kv in my kraton 8s. I've been dealing with weird problems for I don't know how long and I could never figure it out. The last time I took it out it was the worst it's ever been. It started cogging and cutting off and was undriveable. When I got home I finally got the bright idea to try removing the sensor cable and the rig worked amazingly well after that. I was kicking myself for not trying it sooner. Granted I haven't tried a new cable yet so I guess it's possible it's just the cable but for some reason I doubt it. Haven't had a problem in a 1717 yet though and I think I have 4 of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back