Stripped screw heads - Favorite Extraction Methods and tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
It's happened to all of us and it will happen again.

I've have various methods of extracting them, which usually involves a drill and vise grips. I've tried cutting slots and screw extractors with very little luck.

The method I use is to drill the head of the screw, then pull the offending part off so I have a nub exposed. Then grab the nub with the vise grip "on OMG that's tight" setting and turn it from there. If for some reason I don't get a nub, I just buy more parts.

What is your go to method for removing stripped screws? Do you have a favorite tool?

No big deal.

Just use a thin carbide cutting disc for a Dremel and cut yourself a slot in the screw head and use a handy dandy flat head screwdriver to get it out.

I’ll use the torx as mentioned, but most effective is the smallest extractor in my “grab it” pack. Those have a stubby reverse threaded end that plugs into the Allen hole more easily without having to drill into it a lot of times. Regular extractors are just too big or too frail when I’ve tried to use them.

I guess I should clarify, I have only ever worked on 3-4s rigs, and the only screws that get stripped for me are the big M3’s that connect the towers and chassis and are set almost a half inch in the chassis when they’re stuck. So no dremel-slot is possible on those.

I've used most of the above methods. My Dremel tool took a dump a few years back, not useful enough for me to bother buying another. I find that a good set of drill bits and pliers are the most effective, plus I use them for so many non rc applications. Usually once the head is drilled off the screw there isn't much resistance to removal, unless it's Arrma red loctited..🤬

I use this:

2023-09-19_10h40_04.png

It doesn't seem to be on AMZ still but there are similar sets.

I used to rely on rage and beating the offending part, but surprisingly that never worked well without breaking more stuff. :ROFLMAO:

Now there are 2 methods I use that have always worked. Dremel a slot for a flat head if the screw is exposed, if not, drill the head of the screw off as you mentioned where the threaded nub remains and pliers to twist it out.
Occasionally if the part with the stripped screw is already looking damaged and weakened, I just toss it and replace.

Weld a nut on top with any steel hardware into alloy, it heats up the thread lock and allows easy extraction without worry of damage to yourself or surroundings. No fancy extraction tools and drilling, just a 110V Flux-core MIG that you'll use around the shop for other projects and fixes often.

https://toolsweek.com/how-to-drill-out-a-broken-bolt/

Anybody ever try this set?

View attachment 323041
https://a.co/d/4R2JXg1

One of the problems with the Amazon stuff is I can't find the size specs anywhere. These all seem a big loosey goosey on the instructions and specs.
I haven't used any extractors myself but am weary of stuff like this from amazon..if they can't be bothered to list specs, chances are it ain't worth owning. Just my take.✌
Weld a nut on top with any steel hardware into alloy, it heats up the thread lock and allows easy extraction without worry of damage to yourself or surroundings. No fancy extraction tools and drilling, just a 110V Flux-core MIG that you'll use around the shop for other projects and fixes often.

I have a flux core mig, barely know how to use it honestly. Definitely not well enough to try welding a nut to a 2,3 or 4mm screw on an rc that's got rubber tires, plastic bits and electronics on board.. I wish I could but, turns out I really don't have much need for the mig welder. Thought I'd learn me how to use it but just hasn't been much demand for me.

Last edited:

I haven't used any extractors myself but am weary of stuff like this from amazon..if they can't be bothered to list specs, chances are it ain't worth owning. Just my take.✌

I have a flux core mig, barely know how to use it honestly. Definitely not well enough to try welding a nut to a 2,3 or 4mm screw on an rc that's got rubber tires, plastic bits and electronics on board.. I wish I could but, turns out I really don't have much need for the mig welder. Thought I'd learn me how to use it but just hasn't been much demand for me.

You can also use a crap bit or even small junk metal rod of some sort to place on top the screw and heat it. Let the heat transfer to the screw. A way to get heat to the screw if there is stuff around it that doesn't like direct flameage.
If you get what im attempting to say.

You can also use a crap bit or even small junk metal rod of some sort to place on top the screw and heat it. Let the heat transfer to the screw. A way to get heat to the screw if there is stuff around it that doesn't like direct flameage.
If you get what im attempting to say.
I do, heat can help alot, especially when loctite is involved. I've used a soldering iron as well. Takes a few but definitely works. I have a cheapo Harbor Freight pencil tip iron that I use to heat screws, vent tires..pretty handy for the $10-15 it cost. I put the tip right where the hex key grabs the screw, giver for a few, try removing with hex bit, sometimes the next size up torx bit can be "gently" hammered in too.

One of the problems with the Amazon stuff is I can't find the size specs anywhere. These all seem a big loosey goosey on the instructions and specs.
I am not sure if it will help you at all in finding a set, but the ones that I have used the most are the 4 thru 6 in my set. The number 4 extractor shaft is 4.0mm in my set.

I did a Google search for 'screw extractor set 2mm' and found this one on AMZ that might work for you.

2023-09-19_14h03_50.png

2023-09-19_14h05_37.png

Don't forget the 10% off coupon if you go with this one.
heat can help alot
Yep, I have a cheap little butane 'pen' torch I try to use on screws with Loctite in hopes of avoiding the need for the extractor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back