Thoughts on leopard 58113

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phillip has been running 150+ mph with those same CNHL 70c LiPo packs in some other 1/8 GT cars.
Lots of people have been really liking them. As for gear ratio and KV that we will never know (Top Secret)
Top secret thing is a bummer. I can understand in a race setting, speed runs though why not state the gearing used? Is it really the same mind set of racers, can't say the gearing cause someone else will beat my speed?

Top secret thing is a bummer. I can understand in a race setting, speed runs though why not state the gearing used? Is it really the same mind set of racers, can't say the gearing cause someone else will beat my speed?
I’m with ya but to each his own. I’m the sharing is caring type, but I’m also not gonna tell anyone else they have to spill their secrets if they don’t wanna. ??‍♂️✌?

I’m with ya but to each his own. I’m the sharing is caring type, but I’m also not gonna tell anyone else they have to spill their secrets if they don’t wanna. ??‍♂️✌?
Oh yea I hear ya and the same. A lil bummed out but right, not gonna force anything.

I guess my thinking mechanical info like pinion/spur there are really only so many options. Now him keeping some aerodynamic info to give him the edge, completely understandable!! ? ?

Oh yea I hear ya and the same. A lil bummed out but right, not gonna force anything.

I guess my thinking mechanical info like pinion/spur there are really only so many options. Now him keeping some aerodynamic info to give him the edge, completely understandable!! ? ?
I have received some help from Phil a few times, so I don’t want to paint this as he isn’t helpful. But where he draws a line is completely his call and I really do appreciate all he does for the speed run hobby. I personally am of the position that I see others doing well as a good thing and just keeps moving the hobby forward. Also, I don’t necessarily see myself getting to the 150 club. Ever. So I’m not in that league. I just want some warmer weather so I can join the 100 mph club ???✌?

I have received some help from Phil a few times, so I don’t want to paint this as he isn’t helpful. But where he draws a line is completely his call and I really do appreciate all he does for the speed run hobby. I personally am of the position that I see others doing well as a good thing and just keeps moving the hobby forward. Also, I don’t necessarily see myself getting to the 150 club. Ever. So I’m not in that league. I just want some warmer weather so I can join the 100 mph club ???✌?
My apologies, I didn't percieve it that way! Definitely didn't mean what I say to maybe sound that way either! ? ??

ahh ok. I thought one of his videos said he was trying new batteries. Probably an older one though. I think he was running the limitless
Phillip ended up doing a follow up video (just posted 4 hours ago)
Swapped in the MMX8s esc and broke 100mph on 4s with the same setup he had tried the Max5 on and it choked at 86mph. Also the fan never had to kick on (temp controlled fan like the MMX6s) Seems like a solid option to replace the Max5.

Swapped in the MMX8s esc and broke 100mph on 4s with the same setup he had tried the Max5 on and it choked at 86mph. Also the fan never had to kick on (temp controlled fan like the MMX6s) Seems like a solid option to replace the Max5.

Nice. Now we just need someone to stock them for us. I'm down to swap my stuff over if it means more mph out of a smaller and cooler esc.

Last edited:

Yea I was having the same issues over the weekend with my Infraction. Put myself on a MMX 8s back order, so hopefully get that around end of March.

I just backordered one for my limitless. says march 14th I'll have it.
I ordered directly through Castle, they didn't state any 'in stock dates' I noticed dates from sites like Amain or HH stating around March 12th. You mind me asking who you ordered through?

Yea I was having the same issues over the weekend with my Infraction. Put myself on a MMX 8s back order, so hopefully get that around end of March.

I ordered directly through Castle, they didn't state any 'in stock dates' I noticed dates from sites like Amain or HH stating around March 12th. You mind me asking who you ordered through?
amain. $10 off coupon plus I had $30 in store credit.

I just backordered one for my limitless. says march 14th I'll have it. @LibertyMKiii
Keep me updated how you like it once you run it hard on a warm day. I believe I will be getting one in a few months after we get settled into the new house.

Keep me updated how you like it once you run it hard on a warm day. I believe I will be getting one in a few months after we get settled into the new house.
I will. A warm day right now in oregon would be 60f though lol. I plan on pushing it pretty good anyway.

Little off topic guys but will the dbxle v1 red dynamite motor fit the kraton without any modifications?

Do is basically plug and play? Is it worth upgrading? I mean do I have a new one in the box.

Do is basically plug and play? Is it worth upgrading? I mean do I have a new one in the box.
You will need to do something with the motor mount to fit it (assuming you haven't already). Due to the low Kv of the motor (800) you are going to need at least a 40t pinion. Anything smaller will be slow on the top end. In order to fit that motor you have a few options:

Fastline motor mount (impossible to find).

M2C Racing motor mount: https://m2cracing.net/kraton-8s/443-m2c-3250-arrma-kraton-8-s-motor-mount.html

M2C Racing 8mm shaft size motor mount size - the one on the website won't fit a large pinion but he's supposed to release one any day now.

PPS motor slide - due to be released any day now and will fit up to a 44t piniom. All you have to do is replace the slide on your existing Arrma motor mount. The other two options require you to change the entire motor mount.

Next you might want to consider upgrading the ESC if you plan to run that giant can. I've heard of people running this size motor on the stock ESC but I'm not too sure how long it will last.

I run this motor with a Max5 and with a 44t pinion it will cog (stutter) with the punch set above 1. I'm not sure if it's the motor, the ESC, a solder joint or the batteries. But I'm leaning towards the motor. With a 40t pinion I can run up to punch 3 without issue.

Hope that helps. The cheapest way to run that motor is the PPS slide (roughly $30) and a pinion from www.sagacustomrc.com. You want Mod 1, 8mm shaft. They run about $20. The mystery is the ESC. I can't tell you for sure that it will or will not work with that motor.

I run this motor with a Max5 and with a 44t pinion it will cog (stutter) with the punch set above 1. I'm not sure if it's the motor, the ESC, a solder joint or the batteries. But I'm leaning towards the motor. With a 40t pinion I can run up to punch 3 without issue.

Hope that helps. The cheapest way to run that motor is the PPS slide (roughly $30) and a pinion from www.sagacustomrc.com. You want Mod 1, 8mm shaft. They run about $20. The mystery is the ESC. I can't tell you for sure that it will or will not work with that motor.

FYI, I had that same issue with my DBXLe with a MAX5 and it ended up being the motor. I had overheated it on more then one occasion. I honestly didn't take it apart, but it had burnt electrical odor (from the end bell) once removed from the rig. I replaced it with another one and dropped the pinion count by 2 teeth and all was well. Still running this today with no issues and no overheating.

Aahh ok, you can gear up easily with that motor and still have good temps. I have the m2c mount, so max pinion is 34T, but 57mph is plenty fast with my 980kv motor. I might drop in the Leo 58113 1050kv one day, that will get me over 60mph

I’m at 62mph with the Leopard 58113 1050kv and a 34T pinion / MAX5 according to my iPhone GPS.

That’s getting into the spooky factor with something this big. My DBXLe with mods did about 49mph and I thought that was insane for a 30lbs rig.

When the K8S passes you at 60mph it’s a “let’s hope this holds together” moment, kinda like what Han said to the Millennium Falcon.

I’m at 62mph with the Leopard 58113 1050kv and a 34T pinion / MAX5 according to my iPhone GPS.

That’s getting into the spooky factor with something this big. My DBXLe with mods did about 49mph and I thought that was insane for a 30lbs rig.

When the K8S passes you at 60mph it’s a “let’s hope this holds together” moment, kinda like what Han said to the Millennium Falcon.

What kind of temps do you hit? I may go with 34 or a little more if it'll take it hahahaha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back