Tool talk, show and tell!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^factual info.

You know they’re legit pronounced “kuh-nih-pecks”?!? I can’t stand when people say shiit wrong, but I can honestly say I’ll ALWAYS call them “nih-pecks”.. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️

I heard it first as "kuh" so it's always been that way for me 😂

All jokes aside.. best darn pliers of any sorts you can get. There is a reason everyone tried copying them.

My matco guy about crap when he seen those. Didn't know they were marked up that high.
There's almost a 300% mark up on a ton of matco stuff. Took me a year when I started to learn that matco didn't actually produce tools. They rebrand and sell others stuff. Find the original manufacturer and you can get the same tools way cheaper.

Facts ppl should know 😁

^^^^^factual info.

You know they’re legit pronounced “kuh-nih-pecks”?!? I can’t stand when people say shiit wrong, but I can honestly say I’ll ALWAYS call them “nih-pecks”.. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️
I will never be able to make my self say it "kuh" 🤣🤣 that's just kinda messed up.

I heard it first as "kuh" so it's always been that way for me 😂

All jokes aside.. best darn pliers of any sorts you can get. There is a reason everyone tried copying them.

My matco guy about crap when he seen those. Didn't know they were marked up that high.
There's almost a 300% mark up on a ton of matco stuff. Took me a year when I started to learn that matco didn't actually produce tools. They rebrand and sell others stuff. Find the original manufacturer and you can get the same tools way cheaper.

Facts ppl should know 😁

Oh I’m aware! First ones Matco did were called the Matco “Cobra” around 2003-4.. I was already familiar with Knipex (just not enough to know I was saying their name wrong af🤣).. There’s a ton of mark up on EVERYTHING on the truck.. I haven’t paid “asking price” as I now refer to it since around 2010 or so.. I figured I’d treat the tool man like I was at the flea market and see what happens.. haven’t payed full price one time since. That’s just crazy to me, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I had to earn a living that way.. I DO get it, just very glad I don’t play the game anymore lol..🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh I’m aware! First ones Matco did were called the Matco “Cobra” around 2003-4.. I was already familiar with Knipex (just not enough to know I was saying their name wrong af🤣).. There’s a ton of mark up on EVERYTHING on the truck.. I haven’t paid “asking price” as I now refer to it since around 2010 or so.. I figured I’d treat the tool man like I was at the flea market and see what happens.. haven’t payed full price one time since. That’s just crazy to me, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I had to earn a living that way.. I DO get it, just very glad I don’t play the game anymore lol..🤷🏻‍♂️

You and me both man... if I see something I want.... say a socket set. I'll ask em how much and if he says 120 I'll respond with I'll give you 90 right now.. its surprising how often that actually works out. Worst they say is no or try to meet you in the middle 😂

My guys are honestly good people though. They let me get away with some straight up bs... like..
I buy used snap on from matco all the time for DIRT cheap... then I warrenty it with snap on for new shiny stuff.. both guys know exactly what I do and let me no issue. So long as I don't try to claim too much at a time..
I've gotten so much stuff that way it's honestly ridiculous....

Thats an amazing trick to the system... never ever trade crap in.... always break it, warranty it and sell the new item at or right under price...

Tool truck tricks

You and me both man... if I see something I want.... say a socket set. I'll ask em how much and if he says 120 I'll respond with I'll give you 90 right now.. its surprising how often that actually works out. Worst they say is no or try to meet you in the middle 😂

My guys are honestly good people though. They let me get away with some straight up bs... like..
I buy used snap on from matco all the time for DIRT cheap... then I warrenty it with snap on for new shiny stuff.. both guys know exactly what I do and let me no issue. So long as I don't try to claim too much at a time..

Thats an amazing trick to the system... never ever trade crap in.... always break it, warranty it and sell the new item at or right under price...

Tool truck tricks
ABSOLUTELY. And I know they’re good dudes-it comes with the territory is all. 😅 Hell-they buy shitt from eachOTHER. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Tool truck tricks
That's a great idea! Hey Dutch, if you ship me that drill and saw right now, I'll let you pay shipping!

I'd like to share these comparison pics I made here a couple weeks ago for my matco guy.. just so any new guys to tool trucks can go in with some sense and not get bent over. These are matco prices vs direct from knipex website.

View attachment 365412

View attachment 365413

View attachment 365414
The first ones my Matco guy at the time carried were the Alligator slip joint style, I LOVE Knipex. They are hands down worth the $ and I've warrantied out the plyers I don't know how many times so I feel I've got my $ worth.

Tool truck tricks
I do this trick too :cool: Matco doesn't actually make any of their tools, take their drill bits, Stanley Speed Max bits. They cut great too. Only grip I have is the 3rd row of small bits are not warranty, but the small set is cheap if you just go to Lowes.
IMG_20240509_083112565.jpg
IMG_20240509_082232992.jpg

The first ones my Matco guy at the time carried were the Alligator slip joint style, I LOVE Knipex. They are hands down worth the $ and I've warrantied out the plyers I don't know how many times so I feel I've got my $ worth.

I do this trick too :cool: Matco doesn't actually make any of their tools, take their drill bits, Stanley Speed Max bits. They cut great too. Only grip I have is the 3rd row of small bits are not warranty, but the small set is cheap if you just go to Lowes.View attachment 365429View attachment 365427

I've got the smaller set of matco hyper steps 😎

20221106_094524.jpg

Yeah those Knipex pliers are good. Got the small ones- my son got them for me as a gift. Got some other small pliers for the RC

20240509_060837.jpg

My 29" Kennedy 7 drawer bottom & 27" mechanics 2 drawer top box. Don't like the flip up ones. Got plexiglass on top, I can lay parts on to mic them.

20240509_081801.jpg

My Kennedy 21" 6 drawer keeps all my big drills & old HSS big end mills etc

20240509_081825.jpg

Anybody like a Harley Panhead to S&S carb aluminum intake I made while back? All CNC billet 3 pc, TIG welded together. It's sitting on my toolbox in a pic.

20240509_081801.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few of my machinist stuff..hand tools, indicators, etc. Mics1-3, step mic, depth mic, calipers, Starrett level, mag base, all kinds scales & screw pitch gages, drill point gages, etc-I got way more stuff scattered out. 1-2-3 blocks, Vee blocks, parallels all kinds. Squares.

20240509_081201.jpg

20240509_081544.jpg

20240509_081626.jpg

20240509_081656.jpg

20240509_080656.jpg

Just a few of my machinist stuff..hand tools, indicators, etc. Mics1-3, step mic, depth mic, calipers, Starrett level, mag base, all kinds scales & screw pitch gages, drill point gages, etc-I got way more stuff scattered out. 1-2-3 blocks, Vee blocks, parallels all kinds. Squares.

View attachment 365447

View attachment 365448

View attachment 365449

View attachment 365450

View attachment 365451
I see a few things in there that I have also. Love those big calipers in the last pic, I need to get a pair that big.

Can't go wrong with old school Craftsman, the new stuff is not the same, I miss Sears.

I used to love Craftsman, not slick and hand biting like Snap-on, and could stop and do an exchange on the way home from work or even Sunday afternoon. Sears is now gone, but Lowe’s carries craftsman. Exchanged a 1/4 drive ratchet…not made in USA anymore.
In a twist, seems Harbor Freight quality is improving.

I see a few things in there that I have also. Love those big calipers in the last pic, I need to get a pair that big.

Can't go wrong with old school Craftsman, the new stuff is not the same, I miss Sears.
Yeah Those are 12" dial calipers, I've had a long time. Still perfect. Ive gone thru 6" calipers. Had Starrett's, Mitutoyo's, all kinds- Right now I got a set of Insize 6" digital. They are really good calipers.

20240509_101853.jpg

Yeah Those are 12" dial calipers, I've had a long time. Still perfect. Ive gone thru 6" calipers. Had Starrett's, Mitutoyo's, all kinds- Right now I got a set of Insize 6" digital. They are really good calipers.

View attachment 365453
The dial calipers are great, I have some that were my grandfathers, still work perfect. The digital ones never seem to hold up, the ones I currently are Matco about 6 years old and aren't true anymore.

I used to love Craftsman, not slick and hand biting like Snap-on, and could stop and do an exchange on the way home from work or even Sunday afternoon. Sears is now gone, but Lowe’s carries craftsman. Exchanged a 1/4 drive ratchet…not made in USA anymore.
In a twist, seems Harbor Freight quality is improving.
Yea big time, they have dumped a ton into r&d and are really putting out some nice stuff. The Icon stuff is really nice, nearly on par with Matco and Snap-On.

I've got a blue and white one of these packed solid with Snapon and Knipex tools. I traded a boat for it!
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/...ay-4s-series-toolbox-thunderstorm-gray-purple
Pics or it didn't happen. 🤨 I kid, that' a nice box. White trim I hope, no way I'd be able to keep white clean. I used to have a 4s double bank, black on black, I hated the 50/50 split on the drawers and would rather have a 70/30 so I traded it in for truck credit, he gave me almost what I paid for it even though it was 4 years old.

IMG_20240509_100454203.jpg

Knipex, or at least the ones I have at work anyway. The cutters to the left are amazing, cut right thru a wiring harness like butter. I've cut right thru inch thick copper wire with little effort. Don't hit anything like Steel or Aluminum with 'em though, it will damage the pliers easy. That's what the next pair in line are for. That Alligators on the right are my favorite pliers, both pair. I have some Cobras at home too, I don't care for the push button and prefer the slip joint tbh.

IMG_20240509_122306598_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240509_122332983.jpg

Last edited:
Back