Talk me out of buying an XRT.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't talk you out of it. I think it's pretty bad azz myself. From what I've seen, (I don't own one) they're not particularly good for big air, but seem awesome in every other perspective. Lightweight, good handling. Doesn't need a 5lb can to go fast either..🤷‍♂️
Still my fav rig to send!! I gotta tune out my epic bounces after landing though. I heard I should try some thicker shock fluid. :unsure:

Traxxas is crazy lol. I could see if they actually upgraded something but paying even more is crazy af when anyone who isn't a casual will want to change the electronics. As much as I love the xrt those stock electronics are BAD. Even the stock servo is the worst servo I've ever had to use. As soon as I changed tires the servo wouldn't even move them unless I was under throttle and I'm not even talking about some heavy mx 43's or anything crazy. It would actually be awesome if they came out with a v2 and upgraded the stock electronics like arrma did with the 8s line.

Here's to hoping it's more than just belted tires and something actually useful if there will be a price increase.
Hey now!! My bro and I have been slumming it up with stock electronics for 2+ years now, LOL
No disrespect but I for one am glad my rc appetite doesn't require 60+ mph to satisfy. 🤷‍♂️😉🍻 I know my Xmaxx thanks me by being nearly all original still..

Still my fav rig to send!! I gotta tune out my epic bounces after landing though. I heard I should try some thicker shock fluid. :unsure:
I think so. Out of the box TRX 8s are rather soft. I stepped up to 50 weight from stock 30. My bro is still at 30. I can see his bounce even off small jumps where mine doesn't. Well, not as much.

Last edited:
I bought Tomleys XRT. And apart from losing a wheel nut. Not broke anything so far. And I have trigger fingers. Great on the bmx track.

I love my XRT..:love:
Had it Two months now and its awesome.
MJvRHr.jpg

67EUlD.jpg

got the ultimate edition..

only had one part break so far and that was a lower front suspension arm (bad landing o_O ) £17 to fix

done a couple of upgrades
Hobbywing MAX6
GPM Medium Carbon Steel Motor Gear 12T With 35T Spur Gear (Mod 1.5)
Carbon Fibre Esc Plate
Fullforce Shock covers
Garage Life RC 3D printed wing mount
Shookum ESC switch mount
Treal Hobby Side Rails Step Plates Aluminium 7075 Blue
GPM Aluminium 7075-T6 Front Bulkhead Cover Blue

just about to upgrade to a MAX5 & 56118SD 1100kV G2 combo and Onyx Ultra O/R Series 9800 14.8 (4s1p) batteries with Q/S 8 connectors

Hey now!! My bro and I have been slumming it up with stock electronics for 2+ years now, LOL
No disrespect but I for one am glad my rc appetite doesn't require 60+ mph to satisfy. 🤷‍♂️😉🍻 I know my Xmaxx thanks me by being nearly all original still..

I think so. Out of the box TRX 8s are rather soft. I stepped up to 50 weight from stock 30. My bro is still at 30. I can see his bounce even off small jumps where mine doesn't. Well, not as much.
I cant even fathom how you could use even that servo. It literally wouldn't move our tires as soon as we used anything other than the stock tires. 🤣

I cant even fathom how you could use even that servo. It literally wouldn't move our tires as soon as we used anything other than the stock tires. 🤣
LOL!!
Yeah, IDK bro, but what's even funnier is I put a Spektrum S905 into my Xmaxx and I think it's worses than stock!! The S905 is what the Arrma v1 8s came with, guess it's a 1/6 scale.🤷‍♂️
Anyways, even on 7.4v, it seems slower than stock TRX, and I really don't think it's any stronger..shame, I hacked my chassis and all to make it fit. Good thing the TRX chassis are cheap as chips, LOL.
None of my rc's will turn lock to lock while standing still, well, actually my 1/10 do, cuz they have the same 25kg DS servos as my 1/8 6s rigs!! 😂🤗🤪
The K8S definitely needs an upgrade, the S905 in that is poop, even on 8.4v. I have to buy the 1/5 adapter so I can make use of the Power HD 65kg I have.. someday.

LOL!!
Yeah, IDK bro, but what's even funnier is I put a Spektrum S905 into my Xmaxx and I think it's worses than stock!! The S905 is what the Arrma v1 8s came with, guess it's a 1/6 scale.🤷‍♂️
Anyways, even on 7.4v, it seems slower than stock TRX, and I really don't think it's any stronger..shame, I hacked my chassis and all to make it fit. Good thing the TRX chassis are cheap as chips, LOL.
None of my rc's will turn lock to lock while standing still, well, actually my 1/10 do, cuz they have the same 25kg DS servos as my 1/8 6s rigs!! 😂🤗🤪
The K8S definitely needs an upgrade, the S905 in that is poop, even on 8.4v. I have to buy the 1/5 adapter so I can make use of the Power HD 65kg I have.. someday.

I am still running an S905 on the K8s, solid servo.

At least it has metal gears :)

I don’t see where this trumps a built Kraton XL/Big Rock with 6S backflips in more being dynamic, robust, and capable unless you just like the additional weight-size, aesthetics, and branding.

Add another $500-1000 in tire/electronics/machined gear upgrades and it’s a different story at double the price point.

I am still running an S905 on the K8s, solid servo.

At least it has metal gears :)
I have some more things to swap out on the Xmaxx before I replace the S905. Servo arm I suspect is longer than stock, so that'll make steering weaker, plus if I swap out the esc to the spare firma 160 I have I can give it 8.4v. Then there's all the flex in the Xmaxx steering components.. like I said, work to do there.
As to the K8S, I intentionally dialed back the steering endpoints because the cvds started binding more than I like, but turning radius is too large. My brother must have his turning quite a bit more since his O8S seems to turn much sharper..

I don’t see where this trumps a built Kraton XL/Big Rock with 6S backflips in more being dynamic, robust, and capable unless you just like the additional weight-size, aesthetics, and branding.

Add another $500-1000 in tire/electronics/machined gear upgrades and it’s a different story at double the price point.
Pound for pound, the 6s trucks walk all over 8s I feel in terms of performance. But then, when we get into that discussion, a 1/10 on 3s is even higher performace than 6s, I feel. I mean a bone stock 3s 1/10 vxl equipped TRX can hit 70mph no problem. One bump though, and it's airborne!😂
I think it's the terrain capability, along with the wow factor that gets me excited for the 8s trucks. I have a Kraton XL, I like it, but it can't handle the terrain of an 8s with 8" tires, nor can 6s drivetrain truly handle 8" tires..

Last edited:
I have some more things to swap out on the Xmaxx before I replace the S905. Servo arm I suspect is longer than stock, so that'll make steering weaker, plus if I swap out the esc to the spare firma 160 I have I can give it 8.4v. Then there's all the flex in the Xmaxx steering components.. like I said, work to do there.
As to the K8S, I intentionally dialed back the steering endpoints because the cvds started binding more than I like, but turning radius is too large. My brother must have his turning quite a bit more since his O8S seems to turn much sharper..

Pound for pound, the 6s trucks walk all over 8s I feel in terms of performance. But then, when we get into that discussion, a 1/10 on 3s is even higher performace than 6s, I feel. I mean a bone stock 3s 1/10 vxl equipped TRX can hit 70mph no problem. One bump though, and it's airborne!😂
I think it's the terrain capability, along with the wow factor that gets me excited for the 8s trucks. I have a Kraton XL, I like it, but it can't handle the terrain of an 8s with 8" tires, nor can 6s drivetrain truly handle 8" tires..
My JUN RC backflips are 7” tall which means 1/2” of ground clearance being negligible that the 8S rigs use, especially since the XRT essential comes with asphalt/clay tires. Throwing $200+ for prolines again the list keeps piling up just to do something a little bit better. You want that 6S XLWB air control, gonna need power and additional durability. It’s subjective, most XRT users are just spinning around parking lots and soccer fields trying to impress people with its size. It jumps well out of the box, but needs prefabricated areas to front/backflip consistently.

LOL!!

The arrma 8s v2 has a much nicer servo, along with motor and esc. There is really no comparison to the traxxas 8s stuff and hopefully traxxas steps it up in that department soon as that is exactly why competition is good. Imagine if traxxas came out with something to top what arrma did? either way we are the winners. I would love to save money and not upgrade electronics. I think arrma is almost there! I don't know about the 8s esc but I would for sure seriously consider leaving the stock motor and servo in the rigs and only replacing the esc. It's literally a hw 1100kv vs stock traxxas 8s and tons of people have upgraded to that motor in their traxxas 8s rigs. Meanwhile traxxas motor doesn't even have metal end caps.

My JUN RC backflips are 7” tall, which means 1/2” of ground clearance being negligible, especially since the XRT essential comes with asphalt tires.
You're crazy, My xrt poops all over the kraton xl or kraton 6s and I actually have all 3 rigs to compare. Though I do love the XL I literally was just driving at an off road spot a few days ago that the xl and regular would have struggled immensely with where as the XRT handled it with ease. Obviously not with stock tires but none of us are running stock tires 9 times out of 10.

And 1/8th scale kraton feels like a toy in comparison to the xrt or kraton 8s. Not nearly the same rush, there is zero comparison. The xrt alone is even a lot bigger than a kraton XL and people want big scale for a reason.

Last edited:
The arrma 8s v2 has a much nicer servo, along with motor and esc. There is really no comparison to the traxxas 8s stuff and hopefully traxxas steps it up in that department soon as that is exactly why competition is good. Imagine if traxxas came out with something to top what arrma did? either way we are the winners. I would love to save money and not upgrade electronics. I think arrma is almost there! I don't know about the 8s esc but I would for sure seriously consider leaving the stock motor and servo in the rigs and only replacing the esc. It's literally a hw 1100kv vs stock traxxas 8s and tons of people have upgraded to that motor in their traxxas 8s rigs. Meanwhile traxxas motor doesn't even have metal end caps.

You're crazy, My xrt poops all over the kraton xl or kraton 6s and I actually have all 3 rigs to compare. Though I do love the XL I literally was just driving at an off road spot a few days ago that the xl and regular would have struggled immensely with where as the XRT handled it with ease. Obviously not with stock tires but none of us are running stock tires 9 times out of 10.
I’ve seen your bash spot, that launch point would be doubles and triple backflips with front to back combos using my Big Rock Max 6G2 off the first send. So your XRT that is being compared to a XLWB 6S is stock electronics/gearing and just has tires??

Imagine if traxxas came out with something to top what arrma did? either way we are the winners.

The exact point I’ve been trying to make. Competition in the market place only helps the consumer.

Comparing a Kraton XL to an XRT is just silly as well. I have both, love them both, but they are in two completely different categories.

I’ve seen your bash spot, that launch point would be doubles and triple backflips with front to back combos with my Big Rock Max 6G2 off the first send. So your XRT that is being compared to a XLWB 6S is stock electronics/gearing and just has tires??

I could hit doubles if I wanted to but I didn't buy a big rig to do triple backflips. I bought big because it's a BEAST that gives me 10x the rush and awe compared to something like a Big Rock. Almost nothing I own is stock and I'm not sure why you are asking that as your big rock is not even stock? I have 2 xrts, one is 12s with max 5 g2 800kv combo and the other is xlx2 TP 5670 1270kv. Both are nasty and tbh my XL is just as nasty or nastier with an mmx8s / TP 4080CM 2022kv. I also have a Fireteam with an mmx8s / leopard 5882 1360kv.

Maybe you love the 1/8th and 1/7th scale stuff and that's awesome, more power to you bro! I loved them too until I got into the bigger stuff and I know the bigger stuff is not for everyone. My 1/5th and 1/6th scale stuff is geared to go just as fast as other people 1/8th bashers or even faster. Take @KnowAir for example, his stuff not geared for more than 60 mph but mine can easily do 75+. If I had a concrete runup to jumps at the bmx spot it would be so much cooler :eek::ROFLMAO:

To be honest I don't think you would be doing triple backflips at my bash spot as easily as you think unless it was with a swb :eek:. It's actually a lot harder than it looks to get decent height at that spot and a large % of the spots you launch at have NASTY rear end kickup that will take away your ability to even do 1 backflip. Seriously, you can full throttle and the rig will not move an inch if you hit one of the really bad spots and I'm talking rigs with upgraded electronics. It has led to soo many nose dives it's not even funny. I only recently started to become good enough to front flip off of those situations because that's literally the only thing you can do. :ROFLMAO:

The exact point I’ve been trying to make. Competition in the market place only helps the consumer.

Comparing a Kraton XL to an XRT is just silly as well. I have both, love them both, but they are in two completely different categories.
I completely agree on both points! It's funny because I actually thought the XL was "kind of" similar size at first but then I put them next to each other and felt stupid afterwards. :ROFLMAO:

Wait, what do you guys think the “ultimate” was? Besides an additional $500 worth of unneeded alloy (outside of the pot metal drivetrain) 😂

Why would you buy something so big and expensive when you could get a Kraton XL?!
Because there are actually rules and regulations in short course racing otherwise the stock cc motor would be long gone 😂

Back