Typhon Typhon TLR Castle 1515 Mamba X Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OVOeric

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just installed a Castle 1515 2200kv motor and mamba X ESC into my Typhon TLR. Went with a 16t pinion on the stock spur, and just wondering what kind of speeds I should be expecting on 3s, and 4s. Threw in a 3s battery in there just to see how it would go and it didn’t seem too quick. This is normal? When I go to the track, gonna throw a 4s in there, but I would like to go at least 45-50 mph. Anyway, any feedback helps!

I just built a tlr with a 21/57 and it was keeping up with my Kraton 6S which logged 53mph on Saturday. Not likely with that gearing to reach those speeds on 4s.

EAFDB12D-DAC2-46D7-AE60-D89FE80A7532.png

From my limited experience with the 6S platform I'd say that is a pretty conservative gearing. My bigger truck with bigger wheels has a taller primary drive gear ratio and is rock solid. Our Talion EXB got 63 mph on a 19T on 6S. It's heavier and has heavier wheels .
Same diameter just wider. You need higher hear ratio and it will still be safe. You have some cooling action for your new motor? Like some heatsink fan action?

I switched my TLR to a 21/40 and it rips compared to the 21/50 I was originally running on 4S. It is grossly over geared for track use though.

Infraction diff and 19T would probably net 40-50 mph on 4S no? 46/19?
Screenshot_20220407-193847.jpg

It would look like this. Motor rpm in the low 33,000s no stress.
Actually it would be a lot faster. Those are hoons for tire diameter. The Katar B are a fair bit bigger.
Screenshot_20220407-194304.jpg

A real conservative voltage for 4S in reality and those bigger tires with infraction diff 46T and 19T pinion definitely gets 40mph.

2.4-2.5 primary drive gear ratio is what you should be aiming for. So get a 20T pinion to match the 50T diff (?).

Last edited:
From my limited experience with the 6S platform I'd say that is a pretty conservative gearing. My bigger truck with bigger wheels has a taller primary drive gear ratio and is rock solid. Our Talion EXB got 63 mph on a 19T on 6S. It's heavier and has heavier wheels .
Same diameter just wider. You need higher hear ratio and it will still be safe. You have some cooling action for your new motor? Like some heatsink fan action?
I do not have any cooling for the motor. I have been looking into it. Mostly going to be using this for track, and the guy at the hobby shop recommended the 16t pinion as just like a basis in where to start. Going to probably go up a few teeth. Just drove it around the neighborhood on a 3s and it didn’t seem any faster than my senton 3s.

Get an infraction heat sink and fan. Should fit the 1515 castle which is 40mm diameter and 75mm long. About the same as the spektrum 2050kv that seems to come stock with all the 6S lineup

Fan mount Really can't beat this price. Just get 40mm fans to go with it.

@a2lowvw what app is that?

How big is the track you are running at? My local offroad track in medium size, and geared for 45mph, my Typhon is too fast... I will dial the EPA down to 70%-80%.

My motor is a 2350kv (4269 shortstack) and I run 14t pinion. With the extra torque of the 1515 and 2200kv, 13t-15t should be in the right range, unless you are on a really huge track.

I'd also guess that if you don't have enough track experience to guess at a pinion, (and have extras in your box) then you probably don't have the driving skills to drive a your car at 45mph around a offroad track, even a big one. not putting you down, but track driving is different, and you need to start off slow and work on being smooth, long before you worry about fast.

I’ve used that app a few times, how accurate do you find it?

It’s accurately off. I use it as a guide and it seems the max speed it about 20% too high. It’s nice to compare setups or when setting up a car what gearing it will take to get it comparable to my other cars,

With the TLRT, it's not really necessary to go with a 46T spur. I initially tried that with my TLRT, but you just aren't putting big enough pinions on it to make that extra room necessary.

It’s accurately off. I use it as a guide and it seems the max speed it about 20% too high. It’s nice to compare setups or when setting up a car what gearing it will take to get it comparable to my other cars,
Cool I thought the same haha

With the TLRT, it's not really necessary to go with a 46T spur. I initially tried that with my TLRT, but you just aren't putting big enough pinions on it to make that extra room necessary.

I must over do it because my TLRT is 27/46 :ROFLMAO: granted I pretty much just street bash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back