Typhon Typhon TLR Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyphonTLR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
I bought a Typhon TLR and moved the electronics from my 3s Typhon because I was tired of replacing the plastic axles to the TLR Roller. It has a Castle Sidewinder 8th combo and Spektrum S652 servo/Spektrum 315 receiver etc. I got a notorious during the sale recently and absolutely love it. I don't have any tracks or anything close to me so I don't see myself doing any racing so looking potentially to convert it to a Kraton/Talion. The main question I have is would it make more sense to buy axles/suspension etc and convert it to a Kraton or Mojave or just buy a Kraton EXB shuffle the electronics? Are the Difs in the TLR going to be a problem? Just trying to make sure I'm not going to swap it out and end up having to replace things from weight/tire differences between the different platforms.

The electronics in your tlr are not good enough for a kraton or talion. They're barely acceptable for the tlr. You would definitely need to spend more on at least a cheap spektrum 150a combo from Jennyrc or the classified section here on the forums.

It is possible to truggifiy your typhon but you might be better off doing what engineer said. I actually just saw a really cool super typhon using kraton arms and towers and backflip lp's but I guess at that point it's just a notorious with a typhon body haha

The electronics in your tlr are not good enough for a kraton or talion. They're barely acceptable for the tlr. You would definitely need to spend more on at least a cheap spektrum 150a combo from Jennyrc or the classified section here on the forums.

It is possible to truggifiy your typhon but you might be better off doing what engineer said. I actually just saw a really cool super typhon using kraton arms and towers and backflip lp's but I guess at that point it's just a notorious with a typhon body haha
All of the electronics are to factory spec for most of the 6s line. From what I can tell, my TLR has the same servo and receiver that is in the 6s typhon/kraton and the castle motor is the 2200KV. I run the TLR on 6s without issue. Is the only thing that would be worth replacing the ESC at that point? Maybe stronger servo if the one I have breaks?

All of the electronics are to factory spec for most of the 6s line. From what I can tell, my TLR has the same servo and receiver that is in the 6s typhon/kraton and the castle motor is the 2200KV. I run the TLR on 6s without issue. Is the only thing that would be worth replacing the ESC at that point? Maybe stronger servo if the one I have breaks?
I meant your ESC. Tbh I thought it was even worse than it is but castle states a max rig weight of 11lbs and a kraton with a battery is about 11 lbs or more. You're actually right on the borderline though It's probably not a problem if you don't gear up much. The bec on that ESC also only supports 5.5v which is not great for servos in a MT imo but it will work.

2200kV is a bit high for a 1:8 monster truck. Factory motor is 2050 kV and most people end up running closer to 1600-1700 kV when upgrading motors (MAX6 combo, 1717, Hobbystar 4092, etc.)

2200kV is a bit high for a 1:8 monster truck. Factory motor is 2050 kV and most people end up running closer to 1600-1700 kV when upgrading motors (MAX6 combo, 1717, Hobbystar 4092, etc.)
Haha even the stock motor is not even 2050kv they just name it that. IT's like 1900 kv according to everyone on the forums who has tested it.

I would not run a Sidewinder in a 6s Kraton that esc is rather underpowered for something that heavy.

Application Guidelines:Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 11 lbs, with batteries, ready-to-run.

My Kraton without batteries is 13lbs.

I would really like to stay within the Castle lineup, really like their products and their support is top-notch. I don't see myself running anything more than 6s which is why I went w/ the 2200 combo. Any of you guys running castle in the kraton?

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/1-6th-scale-1/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00

Something like that?
The mmx8s combo would be perfect for a kraton even if you never run 8s. It will stay cool and handle it easily. I used to have that combo in my talion and I also tried it in the kraton. That's definitely what you want instead of the sidewinder combo. I'm actually running the combo in my fireteam right now.
I would not run a Sidewinder in a 6s Kraton that esc is rather underpowered for something that heavy.

Application Guidelines:Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 11 lbs, with batteries, ready-to-run.

My Kraton without batteries is 13lbs.
Haha this is what I was trying to say. I googled stock kraton weight and RTR is just under 11 lbs without a battery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back