Vivid vinyl wrap fail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Ok yall, not sure if you know this about me, but I want to be @Ajag when I grow up! 🤩 I have a very limited bit of artistic talent, but I'm willing to give most anything a shot once. 🤪🤷‍♂️
I LOVE the look of carbon fiber & I found some vinyl wraps on Amazon. After a little research it seemed like vivid was the brand to go with. Ended up buying 3 different colors- a red, a light grey & a chameleon kinda color changing one. All 3 were about $15 for a 1.5' x 5' roll, so cost wasn't too bad & it gave me an excuse to use the brand new heat gun that I bought almost 6 months ago. I wanted to wrap a new typhon body w/ that light grey- would look DOPE!!!!😍 What I didn't realize is that all of the complex curves & angles on this body was gonna pretty much make it impossible for someone w/ my skill set to achieve in one piece. The heat gun activates the adhesive & lets you stretch the material as well. What happened was that when I stretched one area tight it would just bunch up somewhere else. 😡After I got it applied I wasn't happy @ all with how it turned out so I ripped it all off & decided to just paint the outside w/ stuff I had on hand- black & try to put the vinyl on easier/flatter body areas. I even reached out to @Ajag today, looking for advice & he told me what I kinda knew already- that I'd need to cut it into pieces to be able to lay it down nicely. So, I guess I can chalk this one up to a learning experience!🙂😉😆 Now I'm hunting for things that I CAN wrap since I've got so much material left over!!😅😆🤣
Anyway, here's phase 1 of the Derecho makeover. I think that it came out OK for a noob's 1st attempt 😃😉🤷‍♂️

20221018_204153.jpg

20221019_201448.jpg

20221019_201429.jpg

20221019_201517.jpg

20221019_210001.jpg

20221019_210021.jpg

20221019_210117.jpg

20221019_210037.jpg

Last edited:
Ok yall, not sure if you know this about me, but I want to be @Ajag when I grow up! 🤩 I have a very limited bit of artistic talent, but I'm willing to give most anything a shot once. 🤪🤷‍♂️
I LOVE the look of carbon fiber & I found some vinyl wraps on Amazon. After a little research it seemed like vivid was the brand to go with. Ended up buying 3 different colors- a red, a light grey & a chameleon kinda color changing one. All 3 were about $15 for a 1.5' x 5' roll, so cost wasn't too bad & it gave me an excuse to use the brand new heat gun that I bought almost 6 months ago. I wanted to wrap a new typhon body w/ that light grey- would look DOPE!!!!😍 What I didn't realize is that all of the complex curves & angles on this body was gonna pretty much make it impossible for someone w/ my skill set to achieve in one piece. The heat gun activates the adhesive & lets you stretch the material as well. What happened was that when I stretched one area tight it would just bunch up somewhere else. 😡After I got it applied I wasn't happy @ all with how it turned out so I ripped it all off & decided to just paint the outside w/ stuff I had on hand- black & try to put the vinyl on easier/flatter body areas. I even reached out to @Ajag today, looking for advice & he told me what I kinda knew already- that I'd need to cut it into pieces to be able to lay it down nicely. So, I guess I can chalk this one up to a learning experience!🙂😉😆 Now I'm hunting for things that I CAN wrap since I've got so much material left over!!😅😆🤣
Anyway, here's phase 1 of the Derecho makeover. I think that it came out OK for a noob's 1st attempt 😃😉🤷‍♂️

View attachment 251149

View attachment 251150

View attachment 251151

View attachment 251152

View attachment 251153

View attachment 251154

View attachment 251155

View attachment 251156

Best way to wrap a complex contoured body like this is to plan where you must put the vinyl. And do it in sections.
You would most likely NOT try to wrap those rear "vents".. So plan to leave those unwrapped.

AND, you need some tools:
1. Squeegee
2. Sharp utility blade
3. Scissors

You'll need to measure and cut sections.
I would start from the bottom edge and work your way up. So, cut two strips that would cover the side halves on each side.. have enough material to wrap up by half an inch.
Then measure and cut shapes that would cover up the upper surfaces on each side.
Lastly work on the canopy.

Don't give up so easily.
You got most of it wrapped pretty good.
Keep trying.

Best way to wrap a complex contoured body like this is to plan where you must put the vinyl. And do it in sections.
You would most likely NOT try to wrap those rear "vents".. So plan to leave those unwrapped.

AND, you need some tools:
1. Squeegee
2. Sharp utility blade
3. Scissors

You'll need to measure and cut sections.
I would start from the bottom edge and work your way up. So, cut two strips that would cover the side halves on each side.. have enough material to wrap up by half an inch.
Then measure and cut shapes that would cover up the upper surfaces on each side.
Lastly work on the canopy.

Don't give up so easily.
You got most of it wrapped pretty good.
Keep trying.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I've got the tools, just not the know how so thanks for the tips as well. I started @ the top, just really didn't know how to approach it tbh. & yeah, those vents were/are a no go! 😉 I'm not giving up on the vision that I have, I'll just have to get another body or 2- they're only $21.50 @ Jenny's. Believe me, I've got enough vinyl now I could almost wrap my refrigerator!! Wait, that'd be pretty cool too! 😎 😆

It's frustrating working with vinyl wraps for sure!

Another you should try is the mirror chrome colors! That's what I used for my windows. The color is hard to capture in a photo but it's really nice...

20220401_110325.jpg

Stripes are also mirror chrome vinyl
20220715_231635.jpg

It's frustrating working with vinyl wraps for sure!

Another you should try is the mirror chrome colors! That's what I used for my windows. The color is hard to capture in a photo but it's really nice...

View attachment 251159

Stripes are also mirror chrome vinyl
View attachment 251160
I had a look @ those as well, lots of really cool looking designs. I dig how it really pops. When you did your windows did you leave the material bigger than the windows, then trim the excess w/ an xacto AFTER gluing it down? Or do you cut the pieces exactly, then glue it on. I guess I was under the assumption that the material would shrink when heated?

Yup, wrapping sounds easier than it is. And as @Tex Koder mentioned plan where to start to take into account the difficult angles. It takes a lot of patience when there’s curves involved. Rewrapping, heating, careful stretching and rewrapping again. The good thing about wrap is you can unwrap and rewrap al most endlesly😉
But, it can be done turning out relatively OK. I’m guite haply how the Kraton wing and body panels of my desert buggy turned out in carbon and camo wrap.
FYI: I also wrap my chassis (inner side), looks cool and since it’s flat it’s very easy😉.
1666240305723.jpeg

5C403313-EBBB-4D37-9FD9-163C1FD8F2D1.jpeg

D91C9B82-AC87-4FAA-BD21-84A9B4D5E896.jpeg

View attachment 251149

View attachment 251150

View attachment 251151

View attachment 251152

View attachment 251153

View attachment 251154

View attachment 251155

View attachment 251156
Good save! Looks badass!

In was in a rush so I forgot to mention this in my earlier post:rolleyes:. I'm NO expert by all means, but someof my lessons learned along the way:
- clean and degrease the panel thoroughly. You want the wrap to adhere as good as possible , especially in the more difficult (angles) areas.
- Use a hair dryer or heat gun (hair dryer will do)
- Get a wrap tool (scraper). This will assist you get a nice surface and eliminate air bubbles. https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Vinyl-Wrap-Tool-Kit/dp/B07R3K18VJ
- Start with the largest and easiest (flat) part of the panel and work your way towards the difficult angled part
- In areas where you can't get an nice flat wrap (due to severe angles) you can cut the wrap and to the two areas seperately. If you carefully line up the print of the wrap you'll hardly notice the 'line'
- In case you have tiny air bubbles (due to a small dent in the panel) which can't be removed with the wrap tool, an option is to GENTLY press it with an Xacto blade. You'll create a tiny hole to let the air out, but the hole is too small to see.
- Once you're done, go over it with hairdryer (heat gun) again, but only briefly to avoid bubbles! Go over it with the wrap tool over fingers to make sure that especially the edges stick to the panel.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE;)

I think the final version came out great bro. I actually think it looks better than if it was just one solid CF body. This way it has some three dimensionality to it. Great stuff man 💪 :)
Thank you!🥰
Looks awesome bud!! You are getting me interested in trying this!! :p I think your final one looks wicked! Great job!! (y)😁✌️
Thank you!!🥰

I had a look @ those as well, lots of really cool looking designs. I dig how it really pops. When you did your windows did you leave the material bigger than the windows, then trim the excess w/ an xacto AFTER gluing it down? Or do you cut the pieces exactly, then glue it on. I guess I was under the assumption that the material would shrink when heated?
Yep exactly, placed them on the body oversized and then trimmed with a razor. I did a terrible job and the lines are not straight, but that's ok for a speed runner at 4+ft distance ;)

All I know is that Scale Car wrappers use a compatible lubricant spray in many cases, this helps with stretching and pulling back the wrap when sometimes needed??? Absolutely need a heat gun.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back