What 1:1 car should I buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP needed to get it out of his system. First Car and all. The Status of having a BMW and all.
Just be prepared for the responsibility of $owning$ a BMW. The Status of owning is only just that, a Status thing.
And there are tons of used ones out there for so very cheap. I get that also........
If living at home and have some income with no other family Priorities, it may be possible to afford them. Just sell it off before it becomes a money pit. But Enjoy the ride and bragging rights until then.(y)

Last edited:
The OP needed to get it out of his system. First Car and all. The Status of having a BMW and all.
Just be prepared for the responsibility of $owning$ a BMW. Th Status of owning is only just that, a Status thing.
And there are tons of used ones out there for so very cheap. I get that also........

Yes, but he’s also owned some of the most unreliable bmws there are. The n52 is a solid motor. Our mechanic thinks they’re very good engines.

Just be prepared for the responsibility of $owning$ a BMW. Th Status of owning is only just that, a Status thing.

Yeah... Sometimes you get lucky.

I had a 1993 1/2 300E
I got it with 70k miles and sold it with 198,000.
Over the yers I owned it, monetized out it cost me about $350/m to own. Thats purchase Plus maintenance.
Spectacular Car! Best Ive owned likely.
It cost 54,000 in 1993.

I also had a 1999 E320 that was a nightmare. MUCH more expensive to own.
It cost 49,500 in 1999.

But the Best Car was a 2004 RSX. I had it from 17k miles till just over 200k.
I did motor mounts, had the fuel injection cleaned.
1 tune up. Many Oil changes.
2 sets of breaks and a few sets of tires.
THATS IT
Awesome Car.
Paid 17k for it.

Remember how much these cars cost when new, it's relative to the maintenance cost.

You can get a 5-10 year old, low milage $125k Masaratti for Not allot. Maybe $15k for a mint one. But it's a $125k car. Expect that level of maintenance.

Yes, but he’s also owned some of the most unreliable bmws there are. The n52 is a solid motor. Our mechanic thinks they’re very good engines.
The engines internally, for the most part, are designed well. Everything around them suck. There is no such thing as a Good Used BMW. Expensive Plastic parts all get brittle and break very soon when removing them, Leaks etc.. BMW uses way too much $overengineered$ plastic parts. Even the many new ones are returned off lease or sold off in the first year of ownership. 10% of BMW's. Within 5 years most off/ sell their BMW's. The cheaper X1 is a prime example at the top of the list. Price of parts are just astronomical. Always has been this way. If you live in the EU, at least the parts are inexpenesive. Like buying American brand parts, for way less. And many mechanics see dollar signs when these come in for repairs. Its a thing. Sometimes needing special BMW specific tools to work on them. Like the Special BMW Spark Plug gapper, $110.00. Ludicrous. And yes Spark plug gap is critical with BMW engines. Can throw a code on a Cylinder from just one wrongly gapped spark plug. These engines are that sensitive.
I am not laughing here at anyone. I don't do that.
Just being very realistic. Being a former mechanic.
My 18 yo neighbor is already on his second one in 2 years. And he can't find a buyer for the first one. It is a basket case. Sitting all pretty and shiny. Hard top Convertible. Gets many lookers. Not one bite.
He is just stuck on all that Girlie attention, that BMW's get. Young guys don't understand that the girlies are all about the Car and status, not the dude.
His dad is literally going broke already, The son saved all his coin for his own first car. But now his dad is the one keeping it running. I try to help with some of the repairs But I am just not feeling it.
Dam I would be getting paid good labor if I was his personal mechanic.
I said from the beginning of this Thread to avoid BMW's at all costs.
I know this is all too late now. :confused: My son is only 13 and already wants a BMW also for his first car.. I explain it to him all the time. Having these conversations.

Last edited:
The engines internally, for the most part, are designed well. Everything around them suck. There is no such thing as a Good Used BMW. Even the many new ones are returned off lease or sold off in the first year of ownership. 10% of BMW's. The cheaper X1 is a prime example at the top of the list. Price of parts are just astronomical. Always has been this way. If you live in the EU, at least the parts are inexpenesive. Like buying American brand parts, for way less. And many mechanics see dollar signs when these come in for repairs. Its a thing. Sometimes needing special BMW specific tools to work on them. Like the Special BMW Spark Plug gapper, $110.00. Ludicrous. And yes Spark plug gap is critical with BMW engines. Can throw a code on a Cylinder from just one wrongly gapped spark plug. These engines are that sensitive.
I am not laughing here at anyone. I don't do that.
Just being very realistic. Being a former mechanic.
My 18 yo neighbor is already on his second one in 2 years. And he can't find a buyer for the first one.
He is just stuck on all that Girlie attention.
His dad is literally going broke already, The son saved all his coin for his own first car. But now his dad is the one keeping it running. I try to help with some of the repairs But I am just not feeling it.
Dam I would be getting paid good labor if I was his personal mechanic.

Spoken Truth.

Not trying to throw Cold water on @kspitters or anyone.
But definitely heed the advise and be prepared to invest in some specialized tools and learn to Hardcore DIY on repairs when problems/issues that WILL arise..

BMW gremlins:
Cooling System ,especially those expansion tanks and all those pipe couplers.
Engine vacuum leaks
Window regulators (all four windows)

or get ready to be Bent over the barrel for Shop repairs &their parts prices..

Last edited:
Yeah... Sometimes you get lucky.

I had a 1993 1/2 300E
I got it with 70k miles and sold it with 198,000.
Over the yers I owned it, monetized out it cost me about $350/m to own. Thats purchase Plus maintenance.
Spectacular Car! Best Ive owned likely.
It cost 54,000 in 1993.

I also had a 1999 E320 that was a nightmare. MUCH more expensive to own.
It cost 49,500 in 1999.

But the Best Car was a 2004 RSX. I had it from 17k miles till just over 200k.
I did motor mounts, had the fuel injection cleaned.
1 tune up. Many Oil changes.
2 sets of breaks and a few sets of tires.
THATS IT
Awesome Car.
Paid 17k for it.

Remember how much these cars cost when new, it's relative to the maintenance cost.

You can get a 5-10 year old, low milage $125k Masaratti for Not allot. Maybe $15k for a mint one. But it's a $125k car. Expect that level of maintenance.
I also had a 85 MB 300D , passed onto me for free from my inlaws. Like 6 yo already. Because it was a deisel. I gave it try. It was flawless for me. Dog slow however, but very dependable. I put on like 100k, before the injectors needed replacing. I sold it easily at that point. She was a stinker however.

I noticed that I see so many BMW Courtesy cars on the road here in NYC. This is actually a bad sign of BMW quality.
Even while under BMW Mfr warranty, they tend to crap out alot, and BMW gives you a loaner/ with "BMW Courtesy CAR" in big white lettering all over it. Just Embarrassing IMHO.
Some of them sitting at the dealer for weeks on end, before they can figure it out. They are not giving you a BMW Courtesy car just because you are getting a stupid Oil change.:giggle:

Many that Can afford a BMW, also own other cars to fall back on. BMW's are simply High maintenance, new or used.

Last edited:
Lots of truth to these statements. Steve points out one that I firmly believe in. If a girlie likes you for your car....dude, you got the wrong girl.:rolleyes: Some dudes are ok with this as they will take so called admiration anyway they can get it. For some, the need to keep up with the Jones is top priority. What they don't realize is, the Jones are in debt up to their eyeballs. 😆 Bottom line, buy what makes YOU happy. Dave Ramsey...you got a lot of work to do!😆

If I had the chance, I would also do this as an experiment. Of course with the older ladies, and have a laugh.

Last edited:
If I had the chance, I would also do this as an experiment. Of course with the older ladies, and have a laugh.

Got to love those gold digger videos!

They should hand out little rubberized gold shovel trophies to those ladies after they show their true self..

I saw one and the girl smashed his Lambo with the shovel.:rolleyes: Then chased the guy around his car with it. Ouch.
I think a little plastic or rubber shovel is a better idea.:LOL:(y)

Last edited:
I saw one and the girl smashed his Lambo with the shovel.:rolleyes: Then chased the guy around his car with it. Ouch.
I think a little pastic or rubber shovel is a better idea.:LOL:(y)

I should whip something up > for them YouTubers to give out.. For their own safety of course.

My 2nd car was 6mo after I got my license. It was a 91 integra.
My dad chopped the pipe off himself and put a moroso spiral flow where the cat was and a straight pipe out the back.
I never had to convince my parents. They were always wild with cars and cool about it all.
My first ticket was at 17. Paced at 96 in a 50 racing an unmarked mustang 😳 🤣
Broke that ice real good lol.
Don't do that, take it from me😂
Yeah, I was a real ahole when I got my license at 16..lost it twice before I was 17. That's with the help of the best known lawyer in town.. took me many a years to get it outta my system. Wife says it's still not out,LOL. 🤷‍♂️
I'm going on 52 now..😜
Yup!

170HP, thats cute. Hey, Hold my Beer...

Talk about a death wish, eh!?🤣🤣
I bet it's pretty fast with an actual driver on board? This guy can't shift for the life of himself?🤭🤪🍻
Spoken Truth.

Not trying to throw Cold water on @kspitters or anyone.
But definitely heed the advise and be prepared to invest in some specialized tools and learn to Hardcore DIY on repairs when problems/issues that WILL arise..

BMW gremlins:
Cooling System ,especially those expansion tanks and all those pipe couplers.
Engine vacuum leaks
Window regulators (all four windows)

or get ready to be Bent over the barrel for Shop repairs &their parts prices..
Yep.. I didn't want to rain on his parade either.. "I'll " never own one but🤷‍♂️
It's a life lesson I suppose, some have to be "lived through" to understand.
The saving grace is being a teen living at home with minimal responsibilities..
It's a beautiful car no doubt. Congrats @kspitters 😁👍🍻
Apparently, some people make enough money to drive these things their whole lives!!🤔🤷‍♂️🤣🤣
I hope you're one of them my friend!!😁🤞👍😎

Last edited:
I also had a 85 MB 300D , passed onto me for free from my inlaws. Like 6 yo already. Because it was a deisel. I gave it try. It was flawless for me. Dog slow however, but very dependable. I put on like 100k, before the injectors needed replacing. I sold it easily at that point. She was a stinker however.

I noticed that I see so many BMW Courtesy cars on the road her ein NYC This a bad sign of BMW quality.
Even while under BMW Mfr warranty, they tend crap out, and BMW gives you a loaner. Some of them at the dealer for weeks on end, before they can figure it out. They are not giving you a BMW Courtesy car because you are getting a stupid Oil change.

Many that Can afford a BMW, also own other cars to fall back on. BMW's are simply High maintenance, new or used.

The 85 was a Tank on 2 wheels! But yeah, very European with the Diesel.
My 93 1/2 (reason for the 1/2) was that it had the same V6 that came in the SL as an option.
Twin Overhead Cams, 4 valve, Bosh Jetronics, that motor was powerful for the 225HP rating. Expensive Motor!
Burned the tires through 2nd gear.
I did over 130mph with that car Numorous times and it would go faster. With one hand on the wheel confidence.
It looked like a Nazi Staff Car in Black with Dark windows. BIG Chrome nose and emblem :) Wipers with washer on each headlight.
I Miss that Car!

Yeah, I was a real ahole when I got my license at 16..lost it twice before I was 17. That's with the help of the best known lawyer in town.. took me many a years to get it outta my system. Wife says it's still not out,LOL. 🤷‍♂️
I'm going on 52 now..😜

I bet it's pretty fast with an actual driver on board? This guy can't shift for the life of himself?🤭🤪🍻

Yep.. I didn't want to rain on his parade either.. "I'll " never own one but🤷‍♂️
Apparently, some people make enough money to drive these things their whole lives!!🤔🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Hey at least you're still around!

Some young ones who get their license so early don't make it pass their 18th birthday..
SO Sad...
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/road-closure-expected-after-plano-crash-leaves-3-dead/2312485/

The engines internally, for the most part, are designed well. Everything around them suck. There is no such thing as a Good Used BMW. Expensive Plastic parts all get brittle and break very soon when removing them, Leaks etc.. BMW uses way too much $overengineered$ plastic parts.

So when Toyota was building the new Supra with BMW, they were given the BMW engine and sent it back to them with Numerous changes on parts and in tolerances they wanted made. BMW was not happy with them LOL Toyota was disappointed in BMW.
Toyota also redesigned the Subaru Boxer for the GT86. They fixed Subaru's broken motor as far as they were concerned. And they DID!
Thats why I love Japanese cars, Honda and Toyota specifically. They make the Best cars in the world!

Hey at least you're still around!

Some young ones who get their license so early don't make it pass their 18th birthday..
SO Sad...
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/road-closure-expected-after-plano-crash-leaves-3-dead/2312485/

I had this Crazy Street Racer, a 1980 Z28 that was done crazy fast, hardly a Z28 anymore.
When I was selling it this young kid and his Dad came to look at it, Neither could drive a stick and this car had a 2000rpm stall speed. Duel plate Haze that took almost 2 feet to press down! NOT easy to drive. Burned the tires clear through 3rd gear and into 4th on BIG tires, type of Grip.
I drove them around. The Kid was happy the father was Frightened, as he should be!
I warned the father that this car was too much for his son and dangerous.
Days later they made me an offer, I refused it. A day later they offered me more money than what I was asking and I still refused it. I didn't want that on me, That Kid would have hurt himself or someone. What was that Father Thinking?!?!
A NYC Cop bought it eventually :ROFLMAO:

BTW: That car would Not run on 93 octane. It would ping and cry. I use to buy cases of 104 booster to add to the gas. That car was hard to own but SO MUCH FUN! I Pike raced it all the time, beat the BiG Blocks from light to light every time ;-)

Last edited:
I'm going on 52 now..😜

Yeah my young nephew in his 20's, buys new Beamers all the time. He is VERY well heeled. Self made. Studied hard and is very wealthy, and single. A rare breed for a young guy. He drives them. But he has the coin to toss at the BMW dealers. He traveled up to NY for the holidays and had to nurse his leaking Radiator all the way here. He honestly tosses hundreds if not thousands around literally with that car. Always breaks down. Does drive very hard so he says. The only way to drive it I guess?? He said he doesn't mind driving The BMW Courtesy cars and all. Even one Courtesy car broke down on him. :rolleyes: Makes a call, they bring a loaner and tows his car to the closest Dealer. Wherever he breaks down. Aparrently BMW dealers have whole fleets of BMW Courtesy cars for this reason.
Not even 30 yo and made his first Million $$. You need to be of that caliber to drive these BMW's, and not care much about $$$.
He should be driving a Hurrucan, I keep telling him. :giggle: Why not??

Last edited:
Off topic..
Anyone know or have video (or screen grab) enhancing program that can clarify license plate numbers off of a speeding car from dashcam?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back