Newly announced 1/6 Rlaarlo speed car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early on, I WISHED Rlaarlo was going to make a larger car as I liked their designs and quality on a 1:10 scale. I was hoping they would stick with the 1/7 or 1/8 scale and simply make it better quality than the competitors by starting with a 4mm carbon fiber chassis and possibly better stock drive shafts while keeping the costs down. The problem in my opinion with going large will be the retail price point because it takes more power to push against wind resistance (hint more expensive motors and ESCs) and you need better drive shafts, etc. which is making the overall price high unless Rlaarlo goes cheaper with the chassis (metal and plastic) and cheap with the driveline? If they go cheaper construction than their 1/10 scale, going faster than stock will take an after-market chassis and drive shafts($$$). I think they could build a GREAT 1/7 car that could require fewer aftermarket goodies and more guys could afford to go a little faster and Rlaarlo would be competitive with ARRMA and HABAO. I don’t think that market is saturated as Rlaarlo could build a much higher quality than the Vendetta and Felony and also have a better looking car (my apologies to the fans of those cars)….
Early on, I WISHED Rlaarlo was going to make a larger car as I liked their designs and quality on a 1:10 scale. I was hoping they would stick with the 1/7 or 1/8 scale and simply make it better quality than the competitors by starting with a 4mm carbon fiber chassis and possibly better stock drive shafts while keeping the costs down. The problem in my opinion with going large will be the retail price point because it takes more power to push against wind resistance (hint more expensive motors and ESCs) and you need better drive shafts, etc. which is making the overall price high unless Rlaarlo goes cheaper with the chassis (metal and plastic) and cheap with the driveline? If they go cheaper construction than their 1/10 scale, going faster than stock will take an after-market chassis and drive shafts($$$). I think they could build a GREAT 1/7 car that could require fewer aftermarket goodies and more guys could afford to go a little faster and Rlaarlo would be competitive with ARRMA and HABAO. I don’t think that market is saturated as Rlaarlo could build a much higher quality than the Vendetta and Felony and also have a better looking car (my apologies to the fans of those cars)….
One last comment - I’m glad VWTURBOWOLF is involved as the final product has a better chance of being truly awesome! 👍

Last edited:
As of right now, is say there's a stronger possibility of it being an extended-length 1/7 car, as opposed to the originally intended 1/6 car...and, it makes more sense - more stable, more capable of higher speeds, greater selection of wheels/tires. Like many others, I'd luv to see Rlaarlo break new ground, by doing a 1/6 car...but, unfortunately, the reality is, the RC industry isn't ready to support such a scale for speedrun cars. Since the release of the SCX6, look how long it took for 3rd-party tire manufacturers to come out with alternate options...and, even now, there aren't all that many choices. With speedrun cars, tire development takes even longer. Logistically, it just makes more sense to do a 1/7 car. We'll just have to "wait and see" what Edison, and the team, come up with.

One last comment - I’m glad VWTURBOWOLF is involved as the final product has a better chance of being truly awesome! 👍
Completely hit the nail on the head. When they came to me, it was stated they wanted to build a worlds fastest competitor but I don’t think going larger is going to be worth it. The price point alone will keep many from buying it and likely if they follow thru with a public vote the ones that will vote for 1/6 will also be the ones that don’t buy it because of the price.
My vote and I’ve made it clear is for them to make a 1/7 with a 1/7 long axle option kit.

We will see what they come up with.
I’m hosting the next meeting about driveline, single and multiple motor options and layouts. Along with battery size requirements. So we should be able to see what can be stuffed inside of these cars,

I'd prefer they bolster the platforms they already have, rather than spreading themselves thin on a niche, vanity project. Don't want to be a fun sponge, so I will leave it at that.

I'd prefer they bolster the platforms they already have, rather than spreading themselves thin on a niche, vanity project. Don't want to be a fun sponge, so I will leave it at that.
They’ve done what they can do on they current speed platforms especially going dual motor, I also think they are still in full development of their offroad rcs as well.

I do wish they did more testing with the dual because there are some issues that have come up they really shouldn’t have let go. But i guess that is business decisions

The main issue I have is one esc is not synced up properly or the 2 pole motor is landing between the magnets and the start power is too low to kickstart it to go.

They should have tested this better and I hope they listen to me in solving the issue

@vwturbowolf your name reminds me of when I had an 800 hp diesel Jetta roll coal over my Mazdaspeed 3 w 425 hp to the fronts like I was in reverse…. At 100 lol. Glad you’re hands on. This could be awesome.

IMG_2510.jpeg

As with wvturbowolf, I have to disagree. Do you want the current 1/10 platform to become like Tamiya's TT-01 & TT-02 platforms, or Kyosho's Fazer platforms, with a hever-increasing number of kits/RTR's having different bodies, and almost the exact same chassis? I'm guessing, not. Even when companies such as Tamiya & Traxxas began, they didn't rely on only a few platforms. They rapidly developed several platforms. I see no reason why Rlaarlo shouldn't be doing the same. They've already proven the quality of their products (yes, I know, there have been a few "mishaps", but the same can be said of any company), so it's time to build (literally, and gifuratively) on that.

Truth is, the AK chassis is already well-designed. While it could possibly see some minor improvements (most of which have already been addressed in the RS10023 (used by the AK-787), compared to the AK-917's R10122), I don't see any need to develop it too much further. Those wanting to do custom builds are just going to take one of these, and modify it to fit their needs, no different than someone modifying a Limitless or VTE2 chassis. If there are any further "improvements" to be made, those would be done by the aftermarket...just as has been done with the Limitless, VTE2, and others.

@vwturbowolf your name reminds me of when I had an 800 hp diesel Jetta roll coal over my Mazdaspeed 3 w 425 hp to the fronts like I was in reverse…. At 100 lol. Glad you’re hands on. This could be awesome.

View attachment 333004
Snapseed.jpeg

It’s been a few years since this has been on the road, but I have had this Jetta for 20 years now.
1.8l fully built 500 hp setup, fully built dog box trans, and converted to rhd in 2012,
I started converting it to awd from an Audi tt a few year ago and haven’t had the motivation to finish its
Snapseed.jpeg

Truth is, the AK chassis is already well-designed. While it could possibly see some minor improvements (most of which have already been addressed in the RS10023 (used by the AK-787), compared to the AK-917's R10122),
What are the minor problems with the 917 chassis?

The only one I can think of is that its a 190mm car and not 200mm so most speed bodies don't fit it and this also makes it a little tighter space in there for fitting the electronics.

My vote for how to approach budling the ultimate high speed car is reducing the aerodynamic drag by making the car more narrow.
In my opinion going with 200ish mm wide but using all 1/7 scale parts.

If anyone was not aware the limitation of the 1/10 cars going faster is the tires come apart in the 165-180 mph range. The same limitation is being seen with the 1/7 scale cars at 200-222 mph. James is testing some new BSRs which seem to be holding up.

If Rlaarlo can make a car like I had designed it would smoke the 1/7 scale cars.
DoneCapture.JPG

top view.PNG

Last edited:
@vwturbowolf this guy had a BIGGER snail and it looked bone stock….except for the whistling and exhaust. Nice Jetta! Yours looks fast and is. I can tune a car but can’t install an ESC! Lol

Where did I say the 917 chassis had "problems"? I didn't. What I say was "it could possibly see some minor improvements". Those are two completely different statements. Additionally, I also stated that the 787 chassis contained most of the 'improvements' many thought the 917 chassis could use. Examples would be the alternate servo mounting position (which is needed for dual motors, but is also great for single motor), the dual-motor option, and the ability to have batteries on both sides (which helps to not only balance the car left/right, but can also help work a lower CoG, ie. a single motor, with ESC on opposite side, and two 2S Lipo in series). Again, no "problems"...only "improvements".
Rlaarlo can make a car like I had designed it would smoke the 1/7 scale cars.
View attachment 333070

View attachment 333071
So, essentially, something closer to a top-fuel dragster, but with large wheels/tires up front...lol. Honestly, not making fun of your design...not at all...just pointing out what popped into my mind when looking at it.

Last edited:
So, essentially, something closer to atop-fuel dragster, but with large wheels/tires up front...lol. Honestly, not making fun of your design...not at all...just pointing out what popped into my mind when looking at it.
Yeah pretty much, and AWD mostly helpful for braking.
There is a guy that tried to run RC drag cars and they are just a little too narrow. At high speeds (160+) they would always turn sideways and crash. There is sort of a balance needed to retain stability.

if you guys would like to vote for the body designs they choose for the 1/6 scale car you can sign up to Rlaarlos new forum and cast your vote.

https://www.raoforum.com/d/9-vote-for-16-body-style

That was foolish of them to offer the Redbull F1 car as one of the options. People will choose that for looks over the purpose of the car going fast.
Those designs are high downforce for taking turns.

That body will be good for sales but terrible for their goals of high speed.

My choice which I provided was the Le Mans Jaguar body with the closed in rear wheel.
It could be used for both normal length and an extended chassis if they sold an extension of the body To bolt on.

the Porsche body would be a good fit too, then the Nissan,
The McLaren may work well but would need some extensive testing

I'll be honest. I provided the Toyota TS050 suggestion. But, in all honesty, the more I look at, and consider, the options, the more I see the Jag as "the best" option.

I luv Red Bull Racing (but NOT F1), but an F1 car is definitely not the best option. People are voting for it purely based on 'looks', completely ignoring the purpose of this RC.

Back