What 1:1 car should I buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lesson I learned was that if you take a cheap car and try to do something sporty with it you will dump 10k into it before you know it and still not be happy with it.
Put that money aside and save up for a real sports car that can be separate from your daily driver.

Are we still talking 1:1 cars? Sounds like this advice could be applied to, uh, all kinds of scales… 😀

I agree.those cars are bad news ..poor design bad engineering.unless you buy them new and as soon as they come around to 70k they start having problems.my shop gets Jamed up because of those garbage cars.oil pressure sensors start to go .then valve cover gaskets leak .problems start there and don't stop.fuel pumps give up at 50k.the sonata is probably the worse model we've seen.
I won't argue, but we've had great luck with Hyundai's here.. and my wife loves her 2.0t sonata yf. Yep, it spun a bearing at 90k, Hyundai replaced the long block for free.. I have been more disappointed by domestic brands myself over the years.. enough so that, aside from a rwd v8, I won't buy another domestic. Sad to say but..🤷‍♂️
Are we still talking 1:1 cars? Sounds like this advice could be applied to, uh, all kinds of scales… 😀
You should've left it up there.. it's true! A kid asking us "older" folks what car to get!? That was funny as hell I thought!!🍻

Last edited:
I actually have been nothing but very happy with my VTE2 speed runner.
Now with past 1:1 cars I would put lots of money into a cheap car and still found myself wanting "a real sports car" like a ZO6 or Viper etc...

You should've left it up there.. it's true! A kid asking us "older" folks what car to get!? That was funny as hell I thought!!🍻

"The only thing worse than asking a bunch of old guys on the Internet for car advice is...

getting answers. :D"

-------------------------

I mean, I get it. I bought a $7500 10 y.o. BMW when I was 19. I had a Datsun 260Z when I was 16. So I understand what the priorities are when you're young.

And now I'm old and own 2 Toyotas, a Honda, (and an Evo IX MR). :D

Last edited:
I turn 16 the first week of August. Looking for a car, the budget is like 7,500 or lower. What car do you think I should get? I like sedans, hatchbacks, and coupes. I love mini coopers, so I’ve been looking into those. I also like the Audi A4/s4, and the 3 or 5 series beamers. Living in michigan, awd is a high priority, but fwd can work.
I would stay away from all 3 unless you like spending all your paychecks on maintenance. Go with Subaru if you need awd

Depending on where and how you make your purchase take it and have looked at by a reputable mechanic. If the seller has a issue with that then it may not be the car for you.
Not every seller is willing to let some one disect there car..not all mechanics or technician's are clean.they can get the interior full of greasy oil everywhere.and not all are respectful or careful.ik I worked with all kinds of them and I've seen some crazy things..they lean over the fenders looking into to engine bay and forget they have sockets in the pockets lol oooops leaves a ding ..or the famous leaving a screwdriver 🪛 in the back pocket and sits down on the leather seat and oooops leaves a hole in the seat..then you have them that like to fk with people's car and say it's in real bad shape so they can get a customer..removing part's...I wouldn't let my car go

Not every seller is willing to let some one disect there car..not all mechanics or technician's are clean.they can get the interior full of greasy oil everywhere.and not all are respectful or careful.ik I worked with all kinds of them and I've seen some crazy things..they lean over the fenders looking into to engine bay and forget they have sockets in the pockets lol oooops leaves a ding ..or the famous leaving a screwdriver 🪛 in the back pocket and sits down on the leather seat and oooops leaves a hole in the seat..then you have them that like to fk with people's car and say it's in real bad shape so they can get a customer..removing part's...I wouldn't let my car go
Sounds like you'd be sitting on a car forever then. You typed out a bunch of crazy extremes and yes, they "can" happen but highly unlikely.

After working in repair shops for 16 years I've seen it all.so no it's not unlikely.lol
You mean, after working in a repair shop for 16 years, you've done them all? :LOL:

What repair shop? I need to remember to stay away, especially after you not knowing the difference between a ESC and a RX, you can't be working on 1.1 cars :LOL:

How about using good judgement and bringing someone that knows a little about cars..asking the seller if they have maintenance records? After driving the car for a bit you can get a idea if it's ok or not .sure you can't visually see things like internal seals.and gaskets but oil changes are one of the easiest and simple things to keep are car running good.ask for records.get under that car and check the exhaust.move it around check for rattles and see if it's nice and tight ..turn the car on grabb a towel cover the back pipe for a few seconds and check for leaks..check motor oil level.look in the engine bay .look for any signs of leaks or repairs that were done before ..ask questions..if you go to a dealer ask for car fax report which you might have to pay for and car fax isn't allways correct on info because it only shows cars history that was reported.car fax is not perfect but you'll get some sort of idea of history. Look at the body of the car check under the rocker panels look for rust rot..look at the paint job and see if the orange peel texture matches the adjacent panels.if it doesn't most likely it's been painted before..ask why it was painted.a private owner smashes his car gets it fixed quick and sells it but never reports it to Carfax..see what I'm saying. There are so many things I can tell you what to look out for.sucks if you don't know much about cars and have no one to go with you.if you were here I'd would help you out.

Pull the dip stick out and feel the oil on your finger and see if can feel or see metal filings.if so thats not good..if customer doesn't mind pull the coil pack out check the spark plugs .see if there is oil on the plugs .if so bad sign .couple of things that should be looked at.
. Wrong thread
It's ok

Last edited:
How about using good judgement and bringing someone that knows a little about cars..asking the seller if they have maintenance records? After driving the car for a bit you can get a idea if it's ok or not .sure you can't visually see things like internal seals.and gaskets but oil changes are one of the easiest and simple things to keep are car running good.ask for records.get under that car and check the exhaust.move it around check for rattles and see if it's nice and tight ..turn the car on grabb a towel cover the back pipe for a few seconds and check for leaks..check motor oil level.look in the engine bay .look for any signs of leaks or repairs that were done before ..ask questions..if you go to a dealer ask for car fax report which you might have to pay for and car fax isn't allways correct on info because it only shows cars history that was reported.car fax is not perfect but you'll get some sort of idea of history. Look at the body of the car check under the rocker panels look for rust rot..look at the paint job and see if the orange peel texture matches the adjacent panels.if it doesn't most likely it's been painted before..ask why it was painted.a private owner smashes his car gets it fixed quick and sells it but never reports it to Carfax..see what I'm saying. There are so many things I can tell you what to look out for.sucks if you don't know much about cars and have no one to go with you.if you were here I'd would help you out.
Not trying to seem like a know it all, but between rcs and 1:1 cars, they’re my hobbies. I love 1:1 cars. I have some idea what to look for. My dad is a super smart guy, he’s super observant and pick cars well. He’s been passing his tips to me, and he will help. Also, im going to have to bring someone knowledgeable with me. I don’t have a car😂
The point of the thread is not, look for the worst people do by cars. It’s, what car do you think would be best. Not “101 reasons not to go to repair shops in whatever state king blitz is in.” Also, I know of a really good repair shop near us. Small, 1 location shop with super great guys that like my family.

I know it's not what you're looking for but have you seen the new 2024 Toyota Tacoma?? Looks pretty cool. Manual, Turbo 💨

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/
Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 12.09.13 PM.png

Not trying to seem like a know it all, but between rcs and 1:1 cars, they’re my hobbies. I love 1:1 cars. I have some idea what to look for. My dad is a super smart guy, he’s super observant and pick cars well. He’s been passing his tips to me, and he will help. Also, im going to have to bring someone knowledgeable with me. I don’t have a car😂
The point of the thread is not, look for the worst people do by cars. It’s, what car do you think would be best. Not “101 reasons not to go to repair shops in whatever state king blitz is in.” Also, I know of a really good repair shop near us. Small, 1 location shop with super great guys that like my family.
Ik .I was just giving advice that's all .just trying to help a fellow freind 👍.I don't want to see you get ripped off by something that looks great cause someone hacked it up and since your young sometimes you go by looks and not the overall condition or problems that can happen since they are hidden.and bad shops and bad sellers are every where not just in Rhode island lol.im gladd your dad has knowledge.thats great..ok I'll keep my advice to myself .good luck and hope you get a good running car bud😁👍
Sounds like you'd be sitting on a car forever then. You typed out a bunch of crazy extremes and yes, they "can" happen but highly unlikely.
Crazy extremes?? Lol you live in a perfect honest world then..you need to get out more or work in shops and see what really goes on lol.mechanics with dirty greasy hands all over your seats and stearing wheel head liner ect isn't a crazy extreme.its reality.just saying .

Last edited:
Crazy extremes?? Lol you live in a perfect honest world then..you need to get out more or work in shops and see what really goes on lol.mechanics with dirty greasy hands all over your seats and stearing wheel head liner ect isn't a crazy extreme.its reality.just saying .
Or you could say, do you have a tech who can look my car over? And you go in the morning before they’ve worked on many cars. Clean! It’s not all about finding problems, it’s about solving them.
I know it's not what you're looking for but have you seen the new 2024 Toyota Tacoma?? Looks pretty cool. Manual, Turbo 💨

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/
View attachment 300886
Those are sick! My buddies dad had the 2020 manual taco, bought just before covid hit. It’s sweet!

Thats a loaded question. Seen the price of cars these days. :rolleyes:
Having been a Toyota tech, and I still drive only Toys.
But dam all are expensive. And you don't always get what you pay for. No matter the brand. The used car market is still also a mess. All that is left is the garbage, with high pricing. Still. I get people wanting and offering to buy my 2006 Highander. Just its Not for sale. I find notes on it with their phone numbers. Even though its value has almost doubled, if I sell it now, what would I buy?????? I would get raped anyway.
Tough time to buy any new or used car, New might be better however. Avoid a lease or financaing at all costs IF possible. Look at those Interest rates now. I want to puke.:rolleyes: But if you need a car, Good luck. I recommend is a NEW Toyota, any New model. Be very careful with used ones. They are all a mixed bag. Much are just "cleaned up" and tired garbage. I am currenty helping out an elderly man purchase a used car. On the phone with dealers etc. I am like WTF is going on here with the industry in the last 3 years. I saw it unfolding, and now trying find one for an old friend, is crazy. What garbage they have left. There are few Used cars on the market left. Go New if anything, if you can afford it. Only for the Factory warranty. Hyundai, Honda , Toyota's. That's all I would look at. New or Used Nissans aren't all that. Bad tranny's etc. Especially their CVT ones. Hybrids add a premium that you will never recoup with any gas savings in the long run.
GM is hurting, QC is Horrible. Same with Ford and Chry. These big 3 are sending off to auction last years models that never sold. Too expensive for buyers. Mfr wont replenish with the new models until Dealers sell off last years inventory. So Now even last years new cars are going to auction. Times are really bad for that to happen.

Last edited:
I just meant have someone look at it and see if there is any problems like leaking fluids and other things that could be potential problems down the road. Maybe get it on a lift and look underneath. I bought a car several years ago from a dealership that when they pulled the carfax for me it showed minor front damage, they replaced front bumper and called it good. Why would I doubt a Carfax report? Went to trade it in and what do you know it had frame damage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back