Granite What Did I Do Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassAndBeer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
First and foremost, thank you to the guys that make this forum possible. I just joined today, after searching for answers regarding my newly purchased 3S BLX Granite.

I picked it up today and I’ve tried running it a few times, but I’m having a problem with the truck losing power. It’s bone stock obviously, and I’m running a 5000 mAh 50C 3S LiPo. The truck runs fine for a minute or so, and then loses power. It can still be driven and it turns, but there’s less than 50% of the throttle it had. The red light also starts blinking on the ESC. The battery is also new, I bought it with the truck.

These are the things I’ve tried so far:
  1. Checked throttle trim
  2. Reset ESC to factory defaults
  3. Recalibrated throttle positions
Thanks in advance for any and all input and thanks for having me! ?

-Tyler
7708C847-AF5B-4E90-9F95-315E47CA793D.jpeg

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but is the battery fully charged? What are the voltages of the cells in the battery? It sounds like you are at LVC.

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on ArrmaForum that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable.
Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but is the battery fully charged? What are the voltages of the cells in the battery? It sounds like you are at LVC.

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on ArrmaForum that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable.
Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership

As far as I know the battery is all good. I only charged it with my compact charger though so it may not be getting the full charge that it needs.

You likely did nothing wrong. Arrma seems to be having QC issues with the BLX100 ESCs recently as a lot of people have been reporting this same issue. Some have came back to say Arrma sent them an upgraded BLX120 ESC to replace the DOA units

I would suspect the battery.

I have been running mine on 2 3s 2200ma packs in parallel no problem and good run times.

I have 2 3s 7000ma 25c hubsan quadcopter packs I tried to use them and they have to much sag. Still showing 4.15v per cell.

The 2200ma cells are 45c continuous per pack and 20+ minute run times. The 7000ma packs just say 25c and get 2 minute run times.

What charger are you using?

You likely did nothing wrong. Arrma seems to be having QC issues with the BLX100 ESCs recently as a lot of people have been reporting this same issue. Some have came back to say Arrma sent them an upgraded BLX120 ESC to replace the DOA units

This is what I was afraid of. After more digging in other threads and looking at some YouTube videos, it would appear that the ESC is toast.
I would suspect the battery.

I have been running mine on 2 3s 2200ma packs in parallel no problem and good run times.

I have 2 3s 7000ma 25c hubsan quadcopter packs I tried to use them and they have to much sag. Still showing 4.15v per cell.

The 2200ma cells are 45c continuous per pack and 20+ minute run times. The 7000ma packs just say 25c and get 2 minute run times.

What charger are you using?

my battery is bigger than your two batteries in parallel though. It’s brand new, 5000 mAh and 50C discharge. I just tested it with a voltmeter and all checks out. A little over 12.5V overall and roughly 4.2V per cell in the 3S pack. I’m leaning towards a roached ESC.

Yeah but I tried a single 7000ma 25c and it does exactly what most of the faulty esc's do.

And it is still showing 4.15v per cell. Just not supplying enough current.

This weekend I will hookup my hyperion rdu and data log. Then it will be very clear what is happening.

But you could have a faulty esc. Would have thought mine was if I would have tried the 7000ma pack first and got 2 minute run time
Most of the claimed 50c batteries wont do 50c and hold voltage under load. I proved this time and again on my test stand and pushing batteries and motors

Yeah but I tried a single 7000ma 25c and it does exactly what most of the faulty esc's do.

And it is still showing 4.15v per cell. Just not supplying enough current.

This weekend I will hookup my hyperion rdu and data log. Then it will be very clear what is happening.

But you could have a faulty esc. Would have thought mine was if I would have tried the 7000ma pack first and got 2 minute run time
Most of the claimed 50c batteries wont do 50c and hold voltage under load. I proved this time and again on my test stand and pushing batteries and motors
That’s good info to have. Maybe I’ll try a larger battery on it and see what happens.

What ESC are people upgrading to it they want to get away from the BLX series? I’m dealing with the same thing and it’s starting to aggravate me. All I have to do is shut the truck off and turn it back on and I have another 3 mins of run time. When I check the battery after a few runs like this, it’s still at 3.8v

First on the troubleshoot list would be fully charged and balanced battery. Always good to have back up lipo to rule out first.

If someone gets a warranty claim and horizon replaces the esc. I would gladly pay shipping costs for one of the faulty esc's. Just to check it out and tear it down.

They may have changed fets, capacitors or diodes.

What ESC are people upgrading to it they want to get away from the BLX series? I’m dealing with the same thing and it’s starting to aggravate me. All I have to do is shut the truck off and turn it back on and I have another 3 mins of run time. When I check the battery after a few runs like this, it’s still at 3.8v
I have been having the same issue, I have not gotten around to sending it in. It blows but as winter is slipping away I will definitely want to get out there with a working RC.

Current update: Took it back into the hobby shop and they swapped the ESC out for me. They took another BLX100 from a Senton and dropped it in.

STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE

I’ve ran a 5000 mAh 50C LiPo, a 3500 mAh 100C LiPo, and a 7000 mAh 65C LiPo. All of them 3S. All of them lost power after wide open throttle for 5-10 seconds. All 3 batteries were tested with a calibrated Fluke multimeter prior to and post run, and not one dropped below 3.95V per cell.

I can’t come up with any cause for this, other than I had gotten yet another bad ESC.

Last edited:
Something is weird what connectors are you using?
Make sure the esc is in lipo mode
Maybe the motor is defective? I would call horizon personally for advice or a remplacement something fishy is happening with those blx 100 recently possibly a LVC software issue cutting up power way too soon
Current update: Took it back into the hobby shop and they swapped the ESC out for me. They took another BLX100 from a Senton and dropped it in.

STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE

I’ve ran a 5000 mAh 50C LiPo, a 3500 mAh 100C LiPo, and a 7000 mAh 65C LiPo. All of them 3S. All of them lost power after wide open throttle for 5-10 seconds. All 3 batteries were tested with a calibrated Fluke multimeter prior to and post run, and not one dropped below 3.95V per cell.

I can’t come up with any cause for this, other than I had gotten yet another bad ESC.
Sounds like the lvc on the esc isat 3.9v per cells
Or you can go back to you hobbyshop and test run it to show them whats happening i know its frustrating.

Just change out the esc. The blx100 are junk everyone is having problems I had 3 do the same. I upgrade to the blx185 from jennyrc and never looked back.
If someone gets a warranty claim and horizon replaces the esc. I would gladly pay shipping costs for one of the faulty esc's. Just to check it out and tear it down.

They may have changed fets, capacitors or diodes.
Hobbywing changed something alright. All of there esc have been having same issues. Must have made a change 4ish months ago. Prior to that it was unheard of. Now it's like every single one. There must have been a suppliers change up somewhere.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back