What did you print/CAD today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.12 layer height
I’ve noticed that Qidi and many other manufacturer default layer height options are multiples of the nozzle size. Not Prusa though - they use multiples of 5 for default layer height options.

Is there any logic or benefit behind using a multiple of the nozzle size?

Almost finished the cabin for my long version gooseneck trailer. I will slim down some model walls before startting the prints tonight ... more pics and details in my buildthread: building-a-sports-crawler-trailer-chapter-2

029_living space 01.png

030_living space 02.png

031_living space 03.png

I’ve noticed that Qidi and many other manufacturer default layer height options are multiples of the nozzle size. Not Prusa though - they use multiples of 5 for default layer height options.

Is there any logic or benefit behind using a multiple of the nozzle size?

We always talked about magic numbers, these numbers are actually a multiple of what the stepper motors like for natural baby steps.. a natural step in the magnet.. number between these steps require extra holding voltage to keep it there and sometimes a slight deviation in step.. which can lead to layer inconsistency..

Supposedly the magic number in the k1 's is .08.. but I've not had much luck with that..

I know our older creality nema 17's liked a natural step of .04 so layer height was a multiple of these "magic numbers"

I've had better consistency on my max with the .06 rule..

I hope this makes sense..

Edited: looked in my paperwork .. 0.04 is the natural step of a nema 17..

Last edited:
We always talked about magic numbers, these numbers are actually a multiple of what the stepper motors like for natural baby steps.. a natural step in the magnet.. number between these steps require extra holding voltage to keep it there and sometimes a slight deviation in step.. which can lead to layer inconsistency..

Supposedly the magic number in the k1 's is .08.. but I've not had much luck with that..

I know our older creality nema 17's liked a natural step of .04 so layer height was a multiple of these "magic numbers"

I've had better consistency on my max with the .06 rule..

I hope this makes sense..

Edited: looked in my paperwork .. 0.04 is the natural step of a nema 17..
That’s really interesting. Without all the stepper specs and testing ability, is it just kind of a guessing game until you get it right?

That’s really interesting. Without all the stepper specs and testing ability, is it just kind of a guessing game until you get it right?

It's a math equation.. check this out.. much easier to understand..

I was going to try to write it all out the technicals to explain the stepper and lead screw relations..
But that video was much easier to describe exactly what I was going to type out.

Answer = 0.04

😂

I was going to try to write it all out the technicals to explain the stepper and lead screw relations..
But that video was much easier to describe exactly what I was going to type out.

Answer = 0.04

😂

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing.. a lot to type.. 🤣

Here is the finished model with the base..

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_133429064.jpg
    IMG_20240405_133429064.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240405_133435126.jpg
    IMG_20240405_133435126.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240405_133443589.jpg
    IMG_20240405_133443589.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Thanks! That video cleared up the math behind it. I’m going to try it out.

Do all manufacturers use the same pitch rod? It seems weird to me that Prusa would choose inefficient default settings in their slicer.

I made a rear ESC mount for my Limitless V1 so I can run two batteries on the driver side with this tray. The body still fits fine and there's plenty of room for a TP 4070 or 2028. No new holes were drilled in the chassis. Thanks @LibertyMKiii for the idea.

Designed in Fusion 360 and printed in carbon fiber PC. I may end up doing the same thing in my Infraction.

1712499770279.png

1712499803018.png

1712499824606.png

Last edited:
I made a rear ESC mount for my Limitless V1 so I can run two batteries on the driver side with this tray. The body still fits fine and there's plenty of room for a TP 4070. No new holes were drilled in the chassis. Thanks @LibertyMKiii for the idea.

Designed in Fusion 360 and printed in carbon fiber PC. I may end up doing the same thing in my Infraction.

View attachment 359441

View attachment 359442

View attachment 359443

Shaft oscillation going to be an issue with the clearance? Looks good buddy.. gotta love some real materials.. 😎

Shaft oscillation going to be an issue with the clearance? Looks good buddy.. gotta love some real materials.. 😎
Thanks man. I left 4-5mm around the wide titanium shaft, plus it’s the extended spool, so I’m not too worried about collision. Will definitely keep an eye out for it though.

I made a rear ESC mount for my Limitless V1 so I can run two batteries on the driver side with this tray. The body still fits fine and there's plenty of room for a TP 4070 or 2028. No new holes were drilled in the chassis. Thanks @LibertyMKiii for the idea.

View attachment 359441

View attachment 359442

View attachment 359443

Wow I don't even remember this being my idea LOL

Wow I don't even remember this being my idea LOL
🤣. Well, two batteries on one side was your suggestion since the V1 platform isn’t great for space. I just didn’t like the idea of having the weight of an ESC plus two batteries on one side, if I don’t have to. This might not work out but figured I’d try 🤷‍♂️

Back