What do you do for a living?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lolz. Thanks! I’m practically doing everything myself these days. I do have a large setup for detailing though. Unfortunately my apprentice left as there wasn’t enough work for me to give him to do on his own. Which I understand.....no one wants to wash and detail cars all day when you’ve spent thousands in tech school. I have a new guy starting tomorrow who will be doing the detailing, errands, answering phone, etc

I can understand that for sure. Do you offer any reconditioning or just detailing?

I can understand that for sure. Do you offer any reconditioning or just detailing?
Just detailing. I have an upholstery who does anything I can’t do, plus a couple of body shops to do the paintwork. Unfortunately not many body shops want to take on vintage cars. I have a clear bra guy too......he will be doing the new acquired Aston Martin vantage next week. It’s taken me a while to locate vendors I can trust. These cars are in my care and if anything happens. It’s on me

It’s taken me a while to locate vendors I can trust. These cars are in my care and if anything happens. It’s on me

Yeah, and some of those parts don’t exist anymore which makes it even more nerve wracking. I applaud you for doing it man...sounds like an awesome job!

If you ever need a top notch detailer, you may already know this but you can go to different detailing forums and locate one near you. There are detailers that wash and wax and then there are concourse level detailers that specialize on autos of this nature. You really need to understand the paint, and specialized interior materials and surfaces to do it right. Some cars have more paint than others and the quality guys monitor that thickness when leveling.

Yeah, and some of those parts don’t exist anymore which makes it even more nerve wracking. I applaud you for doing it man...sounds like an awesome job!

If you ever need a top notch detailer, you may already know this but you can go to different detailing forums and locate one near you. There are detailers that wash and wax and then there are concourse level detailers that specialize on autos of this nature. You really need to understand the paint, and specialized interior materials and surfaces to do it right. Some cars have more paint than others and the quality guys monitor that thickness when leveling.
Exactly. Detailing is an art form and every car is different with paint thickness. As for locating parts.....many owners don’t understand the headaches and stress trying to find vintage parts. That jag I’ve had since nov/dec and was expecting back in a few months. I told him everything is based on what I can purchase, locate and obviously a “price”. It’s now June and I’m still not done. The gauges need to be redone and I’ve been quoted as high as $4k! So now I’m doing what I can to keep costs down. I’m already at approx $25k......over half of that is on parts, body shop repairs, polishing and powder coating!!!

My background is all over the place. Earned a BS Mechatronics engineering. Worked at Texas Instruments for a short while working with robotics and plasma. Recently I went back to the information technology field... I am a system admin of compliance and legal software's at a healthcare company.

I was crazy into racing cars, track days (hpde) also did drifting in the early 2000s before it was mainstream. Really want to build a crazy world time attack car, but don't have the funds. RC is my filler since I cant afford the dream. I have always done RC cars since elementary age. Mostly on-road... Got misguided towards traxxas for a few years, but very happy I found my way to Arrma!

Licensed electrical contractor and factory trained liquid cooled standby generator tech. Run my own buisness with 11 employees. Was Into nitro cars when I was a teen. Sold everything at around 22 ( work had me too busy to live a normal life lol). At 32 now just bought a v4 Kraton for myself and a rustler for my 3 year old son 3 weeks ago and we are having a blast. It amazes me how well he’s doing with it. We set up a little shop in the garage and that’s where we tinker. Happy to be back into the hobby
Welcome to the forum @dadjeans87!

Cool..I love tats. Should start a thread “show us your tattoos”.
Oh lord, that could get entertaining. Tattoos are very hard to get decent pics of though, usually because of the glare and lighting, and the curvature of body parts. But hey, if y'all are interested, give it a "like".

Oh lord, that could get entertaining. Tattoos are very hard to get decent pics of though, usually because of the glare and lighting, and the curvature of body parts. But hey, if y'all are interested, give it a "like".
He’ll ya....the stories behind the tattoos are cool too. I have a few tats, including half sleeve. Definitely want more but I took up this hobby and now all my money goes to rc’s. Lol

He’ll ya....the stories behind the tattoos are cool too. I have a few tats, including half sleeve. Definitely want more but I took up this hobby and now all my money goes to rc’s. Lol
You got that right buddy! Do I get the new outcast, or that sexy girl head on my ribs? .......... I'm gonna go with Outcast!

I ran a business with my two brothers for 25 years (no, not making dildos ?). It was an aviation business with a 20,000 sq.ft. main hangar, 32 t-hangars, office space and 28 acres of paved ramp space. Our primary source of revenue was selling jet fuel and storage space for corporate jets. However, we also provided flight training, aircraft sales, maintenance/parts and private charter & aircraft management. I had 25% ownership along with my two brothers and my father. Had a great offer to sell back in 2007 but the market tanked in 2008 while we were trying to close. In 2013 we received another offer that wasn't as good but it made sense so we sold. Can't say I really miss it. It was a ton of work and stress (5,000,000 loan to build everything). My older brother was sick and I couldn't see carrying on without him.

So now I invest in various markets and I am looking into real estate. The wood working I started has a purpose. The more you can do yourself the better the ROI on investment properties. My friends like to say I'm retired. I tell them I'm in between jobs ?

Accident reconstruction here. I work for a small nationwide engineering firm that does accident recon.
I look into a lot of car, truck, train, industrial, anyway someone can find a way to get hurt accidents and the math behind them.

My last company I got to do some product failure analysis, which was really cool and frustrating at the same time. Cool that I got to see really deep into a products development, engineering behind it, and got to do tons of testing. Frustrating that I couldn't tell anyone about the stuff I got to see.

And occasionally on the weekends I tune modern fuel injected cars (mostly turbocharged drag cars).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back