What does everything think of the new Boost accessory pack to turn the mega into a 4x4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents.

It is a cash grab by Horizon. These are a 4wd platform which has an entirely different front suspension geometry from a real 2wd vehicle. What this means is that it will handle worse than a 4wd vehicle and even worse than a normal 2wd vehicle. I've tried running a few of my 4wd in 2wd, all they wanted to do was spin out. By doing this they are basically forcing people to buy the "upgrade" pack to get better handling. It costs more to buy the Granite Boost with battery and charger and the Boost pack( which you and I both know some noobs are going to do) than it is to just buy the Granite 4x4 Mega rtr.............

I wish Arrma would make a real 2wd platform like their old one. I don't even count the Voltage as an Arrma it is barely above toy grade.

So, I can definitely see the unknowing parents of young kids walking into a hobby shop and picking up one of these b/c their child asked for an RC car for their birthday or Christmas. Not knowing any better they'll probably select this b/c of the price point (although the Voltage is cheaper, but that thing is barely hobby grade). But to those of us in the know, this is pretty comical an Arrmas part. These aren't true 2wd vehicles, they were never designed to be. They're 4wd with the driveshafts yanked out to make them 2wd by default. As stated in a prior post, the front suspension wasn't modified, nor was the positioning of the motor in the chasis moved at all. I'd be interested to see how these perform in the real world once they're released, hopefully I'll be proven wrong. I think the best think to come out of this whole situation is the new Vorteks body 🤷🏽‍♂️😂

Seams like you'd be better of getting the 3s than these. I'm looking into getting my first arrma soon. Was thinking of getting one of these but unsure how the 2wd would do as a basher.

Seams like you'd be better of getting the 3s than these. I'm looking into getting my first arrma soon. Was thinking of getting one of these but unsure how the 2wd would do as a basher.
FWIW...If you're absolutely sure you want a brushed model for now, you can head over to Tower Hobbies and grab a 4wd 550 Senton for $150 from their scratch & dent sale.

I did find these parts.

072E52C7-4773-4581-8662-38810B4D44EC.png

7CAF252E-3353-43C0-BD0F-500E67306698.png

B9043584-B354-4C1C-A306-C6DD0897D6EB.png

The voltage is an unconventional 2wd chassis, not a toy grade.
"Toy Grade" is pretty subjective. For some, the 3-in-one RX/ESC/Servo makes it toy grade, for others it is the very low quality of parts like shocks and driveshafts, and others see the way the chassis is not designed to be worked on (gotta split the entire chassis to work on the gearbox)...

Others will say it is hobby grade just because you can get spare parts from the LHS...

Pick your definition...

Myself, I see the lack of slipper, cheap gears and weak driveshafts as a clear indication that Arrma does not want anyone to upgrade the Voltage, and that makes it Toy Grade to me. But, add a slipper, beef up the driveline, add good shocks, and I suspect it could be a great 2wd 2s brushless truck.

Last edited:
Arrma site says 4x2 ESC is 40amp
View attachment 237247
2 -in -1 40 amp ESC is a crap $10. ESC. Come on now Arrma.
Surely you can do better than this. :giggle:
"Toy Grade" is pretty subjective. For some, the 3-in-one RX/ESC/Servo makes it toy grade, for others it is the very low quality of parts like shocks and driveshafts, and others see the way the chassis is not designed to be worked on (gotta split the entire chassis to work on the gearbox)...

Others will say it is hobby grade just because you can get spare parts from the LHS...

Pick your definition...

Myself, I see the lack of slipper, cheap gears and weak driveshafts as a clear indication that Arrma does not want anyone to upgrade the Voltage, and that makes it Toy Grade to me. But, add a slipper, beef up the driveline, add good shocks, and I suspect it could be a great 2wd 2s brushless truck.
+1
I have to admit, I would actually invest in the Traxxas Rustler over this garbage.

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/traxxa...term=4588536906541079&utm_content=Blackfriday

Last edited:
2 -in -1 40 amp ESC is a crap $10. ESC. Come on now Arrma.
Surely you can do better than this. :giggle:

+1
I have to admit, I would actually invest in the Traxxas Rustler over this garbage.

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/traxxa...term=4588536906541079&utm_content=Blackfriday
Agreed. I would much rather buy an Arrma, but these 4x2 from Arrma are a joke compared to a rustler vxl. Different price points I know, and I won't likely buy a rustler because of the price..but I know Arrma can do better.
These mega's are good looking overall, but unfortunately they have no real substance under the body from what I've seen. Once someone gets pulled in, they get left hanging..maybe that's the hook? IDK.

Then you might as well just buy another rig.
Why invest upgrades into a cheap toyish rig, trying to make it something it will never be? :giggle:
Agreed. I would much rather buy an Arrma, but these 4x2 from Arrma are a joke compared to a rustler vxl. Different price points I know, and I won't likely buy a rustler because of the price..but I know Arrma can do better.
These mega's are good looking overall, but unfortunately they have no real substance under the body from what I've seen. Once someone gets pulled in, they get left hanging..maybe that's the hook? IDK.
It is always the looks of the body and all the Box art that fools people. Any RC can look good.
But that is where it ends. I hate the Trax body graphics, But I would rather have that. If wanting 2WD.

Last edited:
Then you might as well just buy another rig.
Why invest upgrades into a cheap toyish rig, trying to make it something it will never be? :giggle:
My wish for the Voltage is that Arrma would add these things (slipper, driveline upgrades, better shocks) as a BLX version, instead of this crap-tastic 2wd bastardization of a 4wd truck.. I agree, trying to add these things after the fact is a losing battle, better off to just buy a 2wd Rustler or a ECX Torment.

My wish for the Voltage is that Arrma would add these things (slipper, driveline upgrades, better shocks) as a BLX version, instead of this crap-tastic 2wd bastardization of a 4wd truck.. I agree, trying to add these things after the fact is a losing battle, better off to just buy a 2wd Rustler or a ECX Torment.
Idk if I would go with Ecx, you can only buy the cars from hobby shops or eBay same goes for parts. The brand is also dying Ecx discontinued all of the upgrade parts and Hot Racing is stopping production of upgrade parts as well.
The voltage is an unconventional 2wd chassis, not a toy grade.
I do not say it was toy grade just that it is barely above toy grade.

Would be nice to see a real 2wd Armma. I know some don't care for 2wd, but I absolutely love it. Just a different experience altogether. Honestly no way I would by the 4x2 Mega knowing what I know now, but when I was new and clueless, I would have seriously considered it.

I got into this hobby in 2020 with a brushed 2wd Stampede. Didn't want to spend much because I didn't know squat about the hobby other than it looked fun. For a first rig, it was a blast, yes on brushed. The only thing I had to compare it to was a Nikko Lobo dune buggy from the Sears catalog when I was 12. :LOL:
The brushed started feeling slow and I burned the motor up so I went brushless. Had a blast on 2s for a while and wanted more so went to 3s. Had a blast with that, then got a Typhon 3s which I sold pretty quick and then got a 6s Typhon. That made 3s on the Stampede feel underpowered so I went up again to a 4s setup and now its stupid fast and powerful, 360 wheelies are easy, love it!

For someone new to the hobby, its not the worst idea, but still not the same as offering a true 2wd.

The Driveshafts are steel...out of the box.
What about the diff outputs? Seems it used to be a thing to get a set if 6s diff inputs to replace the Voltage output cups. Have those been improved out of the box?

Guess I should have said "Driveline".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back