Kraton Wheel Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
Anyone else have issues removing wheels from the Kraton ? Twice now , and these are aftermarket wheels ( Duratrax and Proline), when I remove the wheel nut I feel like I'm going to break the truck in half trying to pull the wheels off. It looks like the ID of the wheel gets compressed around the shaft... am I getting the nut too tight? I use one of the T handle 17mm wrenches that came free with a cheap set of amazon wheels, so not a whole lot of leverage. If the forum had a "Stupid Question" section I would post there......

I’ve never had that issue. I don’t have a Kraton, but a Mojave, a few Typhons, and my road cars have never given me that problem. Are you trying to remove them while hot?

I have 1/5th grp adapter on my mojave and I ended up breaking one of the adapters. I bought replacement but the tire is stuck on there so good that I can't even install the replacement hub adapter. Seriously, I've run the mojave on 8s ripping it in the parking lot with nothing to stop the wheel from flying off and it won't budge. I've given up and decided to just keep using it until the wheel finally decides to fly off. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, Duratrax wheels for the Xmaxx are a bear!! I don't own any, but my brother darned near destroyed the wheel and hub trying to get them off. I used a heat gun for about a minute to each, came right off. Don't overdo it though, LOL.
FWIW, it's the hex that holds the wheel in place, the center hole needn't be perfect..

Yeah, Duratrax wheels for the Xmaxx are a bear!! I don't own any, but my brother darned near destroyed the wheel and hub trying to get them off. I used a heat gun for about a minute to each, came right off. Don't overdo it though, LOL.
FWIW, it's the hex that holds the wheel in place, the center hole needn't be perfect..
It needn't be perfect but if it's the size of the hub PLUS the threads on the end....it helps.

Anyone else have issues removing wheels from the Kraton ? Twice now , and these are aftermarket wheels ( Duratrax and Proline), when I remove the wheel nut I feel like I'm going to break the truck in half trying to pull the wheels off. It looks like the ID of the wheel gets compressed around the shaft... am I getting the nut too tight? I use one of the T handle 17mm wrenches that came free with a cheap set of amazon wheels, so not a whole lot of leverage. If the forum had a "Stupid Question" section I would post there......

This works >>
Wife's hair dryer and a plastic mallet if you need extra motivation to tap the center axle off the wheel..

I've had a few bad enough that it required a small harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller between the spokes to remove. Take the time to be proactive and save the headache on initial install.

I've had a few bad enough that it required a small harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller between the spokes to remove. Take the time to be proactive and save the headache on initial install.
Yeah man, I had a brand new set of BF 6s MT tires/wheels that didn't want to go on, actually just the one pair. I forced them on..guess how much fun those were to get back off? 🤬😬😖
Good advice there. If they don't go on easy..take the time to make it so.

I swear, the wheel nuts on my Infraction 6s were put on by an impact wrench. I had to resort to using a 17mm socket wrench a standard 3/8" ratchet to get them off. And I had to use a lot of force to get the nuts loose - I thought I was going to break something. Once I got the nuts loose, they wheels came off, but with a bit of persuasion required.

Heat gun for a minute or two helps.
Ahh, never thought of that, ended up using a nylon hammer, started out tapping but turned into full out hammering as the frustration went up...

I've had a few bad enough that it required a small harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller between the spokes to remove.
Was thinking about heading to harbor freight to pick one up but its just a stupid wheel, and I got a bigger hammer in the garage....

I forced them on..
Yep, I do remember being in a hurry, chasing the sun one night in a hurry to get the truck ready.... and forcing the wheels on. At the time I thought it was a good idea, less likely to strip the hex. Now that I think about it, and as many of you have mentioned, the center hole doesn't need to be perfect, the hex does all the work...

Seriously, I've run the mojave on 8s ripping it in the parking lot with nothing to stop the wheel from flying off and it won't budge. I've given up and decided to just keep using it until the wheel finally decides to fly off.
Also yep, I feel like I could have run 3 of these wheels without nuts, through the tire and on the rim ( police chase mode) and they still would have not come off....

Anyway, thanks for the help

I swear, the wheel nuts on my Infraction 6s were put on by an impact wrench. I had to resort to using a 17mm socket wrench a standard 3/8" ratchet to get them off. And I had to use a lot of force to get the nuts loose - I thought I was going to break something. Once I got the nuts loose, they wheels came off, but with a bit of persuasion required.
Believe it or not, I ALWAYS use a 3/8" ratchet w/socket to install and remove my 1/8 and larger wheelnuts. Grrr...😂👍

Believe it or not, I ALWAYS use a 3/8" ratchet w/socket to install and remove my 1/8 and larger wheelnuts. Grrr...😂👍
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of those hex crosses that come with the vehicle as they place your knuckles in precarious proximity to the spokes of the wheel and if you have a tight nut that requires a bit of force, when it does finally let go...half the time you end up smashing your knuckles into the wheel which is about as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys (if that barrel was a dark room/glory hole...yeah, let that one marinate for a moment).

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of those hex crosses that come with the vehicle as they place your knuckles in precarious proximity to the spokes of the wheel and if you have a tight nut that requires a bit of force, when it does finally let go...half the time you end up smashing your knuckles into the wheel which is about as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys (if that barrel was a dark room/glory hole...yeah, let that one marinate for a moment).
Ratchet with 3" extension, "knuckle saver"..😉🍻

Back