Will the XLX2 and 1100kv Castle blow up the drivetrain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaperBoyRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Outcast 8s
Hey guys,

If I drop the XLX2 and castle 1100kv into a stock RTR K8S, how easily/quickly (if at all) will that break drive train components? It may hold up well for all I know, but I’ve read that motor combo is beefy and I want to understand how few upgrades I can get away with and still run it consistently 😎.

If I get this combo I’ll definitely post pics and videos for you all of my little RTR K8S experiment 😂

Thank you all in advance!

Hey guys,

If I drop the XLX2 and castle 1100kv into a stock RTR K8S, how easily/quickly (if at all) will that break drive train components? It may hold up well for all I know, but I’ve read that motor combo is beefy and I want to understand how few upgrades I can get away with and still run it consistently 😎.

If I get this combo I’ll definitely post pics and videos for you all of my little RTR K8S experiment 😂

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Make sure you got a hamer.. Going to need to straighten them cvds from time to time
If they don't snap or break a pin first.:LOL:

Thats what i run not to bad
Thanks for the input!
If they don't snap or break a pin first.:LOL:
Thanks! Are you running at 100% power? Punch level?
Make sure you got a hamer.. Going to need to straighten them cvds from time to time
Thanks! Are you running at 100% power? Punch level?
It's going to depend on gearing you run. Keep the gearing reasonable and not crazy and will be like any other combo and should run fine.
Awesome 🤙

Start at default punch level. Work your way up until stuff breaks or runs hot.:LOL: Or even drop it down from default value as needed. Bring it down a notch or 2 to be driveable and fun. This is purely subjective to a point.
Kidding aside, honestly, I am very conservative with my Punch settings. Govern yourself accordingly.
Why shoot for the moon if the drivetrain can't handle it?
Its trial and error, one setting at a time. Then evaluate from there Every rig is different. And we all bash differently and have different expectations.

Start at default punch level. Work your way up until stuff breaks or runs hot.:LOL: Or even drop it down from default value as needed. Bring it down a notch or 2 to be driveable and fun. This is purely subjective to a point.
Kidding aside, honestly, I am very conservative with my Punch settings. Govern yourself accordingly.
Why shoot for the moon if the drivetrain can't handle it?
Its trial and error, one setting at a time. Then evaluate from there Every rig is different. And we all bash differently and have different expectations.
Awesome, that is really helpful validation for my approach! I want to see what it can do but I also just want to have fun with it. This sounds like a a good gradual approach 👌😁.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger 😎.
@SrC @Edge71 @Hammer Down @Edough13

I'll post progress pictures and/or videos as I figure out the installation. This will be my first motor/ESC install ever, so y'all can get the amusement of watching a mechanically un-inclined noob stumble through 😂. Then ofc I'll post videos of the first runs. Thanks guys!

image001.jpg

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger 😎.
@SrC @Edge71 @Hammer Down @Edough13

I'll post progress pictures and/or videos as I figure out the installation. This will be my first motor/ESC install ever, so y'all can get the amusement of watching a mechanically un-inclined noob stumble through 😂. Then ofc I'll post videos of the first runs. Thanks guys!

View attachment 173581

Nice! Don’t forget some QS8’s or some kind of 8mm connectors, castle requires this on the XLX2. 🤙

I highly suggest Radio Control Power for the QS8 or bullets they are on eBay or look them up online. Can't list websites for you as I'll get in trouble for advertising but great prices and fast shipping.

I highly suggest Radio Control Power for the QS8 or bullets they are on eBay or look them up online. Can't list websites for you as I'll get in trouble for advertising but great prices and fast shipping.
Thanks man! I've read mixed info about finding adapters from EC5 -> QS8. If I found one will my spektrum S2100 smart charger charge them? I have yet to unravel the battery voltage/draw dynamic, but I imagine with an ESC capable of drawing 300 amps, high draw batteries would be great.

Thanks man! I've read mixed info about finding adapters from EC5 -> QS8. If I found one will my spektrum S2100 smart charger charge them? I have yet to unravel the battery voltage/draw dynamic, but I imagine with an ESC capable of drawing 300 amps, high draw batteries would be great.

I'd suggest not running an adapter and just unsoldering the EC5 and resolder the QS8 on the pack. I made an adaptor but only for one use and it showed how much it held my system back as I only pulled 142mph on my passes over 145 without the adapter after soldering the QS8 on. Yes charger will still charge with an adaptor and only way I'd suggest to use an adaptor, but don't use it for running.

I'd suggest not running an adapter and just unsoldering the EC5 and resolder the QS8 on the pack. I made an adaptor but only for one use and it showed how much it held my system back as I only pulled 142mph on my passes over 145 without the adapter after soldering the QS8 on. Yes charger will still charge with an adaptor and only way I'd suggest to use an adaptor, but don't use it for running
I'd suggest not running an adapter and just unsoldering the EC5 and resolder the QS8 on the pack. I made an adaptor but only for one use and it showed how much it held my system back as I only pulled 142mph on my passes over 145 without the adapter after soldering the QS8 on. Yes charger will still charge with an adaptor and only way I'd suggest to use an adaptor, but don't use it for running.
Got it. That saved me a big headache so thanks for the tip! Solder new connectors it is.

Any time man glad to help in any way I can! Wish I caught ya before you ordered the combo as Radio Control Power has them and also will solder on QS8 or 8mm bullets free of charge with purchase of the esc or combo. Like I said though for connections check them out really great prices and they give a discount the more you order.

Hey guys,

Before getting this combo I was actually breaking more stuff because I didn't have enough control in the air with the stock electronics. I break less stuff now with the bigger electronics due to better control in the air. That's been my experience 👍

You're definitely going to break some rear pins if you bash. If you don't bash drive cups will still wear faster. I suggest getting a rear aluminum diff housing. Or make sure the stock plastic rear diff housing screws are really tight but don't over tighten them.

You're definitely going to break some rear pins if you bash. If you don't bash drive cups will still wear faster. I suggest getting a rear aluminum diff housing. Or make sure the stock plastic rear diff housing screws are really tight but don't over tighten them.
I'm trying out the M2C hinge pins. I'll see if those break less.

I'm trying out the M2C hinge pins. I'll see if those break less.
Awesome. I'm expecting top have to upgrade parts, but I'm not sure where the greatest stresses will be. So, rather than dropping $600 on M2C everything hopefully I can start with the most critical and work back 😁.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back