Kraton Xlx2 mamba or max 5 combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So looking for all options and opinions on what electronics would be more bang for my buck. Castle mamba xlx2 or max 5 combo 800kv both 800kv motors. Money is no object I can budget for either. What do y’all say I want and even toque and speed demon. Thanks in advance.

If money is no object and you want the best of the best performance the XLX2 takes the cake every time.
It just may not last as long because it will gladly burn itself down in flames trying to give you what you asked for.

If you want something "safe" but more restrained then go with the Max5 or Max4

My 2 cents on both:

I just changed my k8s EXB from XLX2/1100kv to Max5/800kv and I will say the castle setup was slightly more powerful, and the sensored setup was nice at super low speeds. But after reading about the amount of XLX2’s going up in flames and taking expensive servos, motors, receivers… with them… I cringed every time my rig landed hard.

In the end I’m happy with my Max5 combo and it runs relatively cool while breaking into the 60mph range so I’m a happy camper.

Max5. Had an xlx2 go up in flames in my Kraton and it’s just not fun.
That’s what most rc drivers have said best bet max 5 800 kv combo. Thanks
For bashing Max5.
For racing XLX2
XLX2 is not a bashing ESC.
So xlx2 is mainly for speed max 5 is bashing. I’d like a little of both. Would the max5 still provide plenty speed torque depending on gearing

it really sucks that xlx2s going up in flames is even a thing because it really is a better esc in every other way. I find myself still preferring it regardless of the risks but it's stressful. I seem to have weird problems with some hobbywing setups too. Rigs making weird jerky struggling noises when I jam throttle from a dead stop.

originally I thought it was a lipo thing or too much punch but even with same lipo it doesn't happen with castle electronics. Never seen it with max 6 either but max 8 g2 and max 5 multiple times. Never see anyone mentioning it though.

it really sucks that xlx2s going up in flames is even a thing because it really is a better esc in every other way. I find myself still preferring it regardless of the risks but it's stressful. I seem to have weird problems with some hobbywing setups too. Rigs making weird jerky struggling noises when I jam throttle from a dead stop.

originally I thought it was a lipo thing or too much punch but even with same lipo it doesn't happen with castle electronics. Never seen it with max 6 either but max 8 g2 and max 5 multiple times. Never see anyone mentioning it though.
I've noticed it with both of mine but didn't understand what was happening so I just wrote off as user error. I really am unsure how to explain exactly what's happening. I can kinda make the sound with my mouth but have no idea how to type it..🤣

I've noticed it with both of mine but didn't understand what was happening so I just wrote off as user error. I really am unsure how to explain exactly what's happening. I can kinda make the sound with my mouth but have no idea how to type it..🤣
🤣 such a weird noise. I have a video of my kraton 4s with the max 8 g2 doing it and posted it here a while ago but no one was really helpful. I noticed it got better when I lowered punch and iirc initial throttle or whatever the setting is called. max 5 doesn't even have that setting though. this even happens with my smc lipo and those aren't weak or cheap.

🤣 such a weird noise. I have a video of my kraton 4s with the max 8 g2 doing it and posted it here a while ago but no one was really helpful. I noticed it got better when I lowered punch and iirc initial throttle or whatever the setting is called. max 5 doesn't even have that setting though. this even happens with my smc lipo and those aren't weak or cheap.
Well if you ever figure out what is causing it or how to resolve it...let me know please! 👊🏼

Max 5 has a punch setting up to level 5 but you’ve got to buy the $20 programmer to access it. I set mine at 1 to start just to make sure it didn’t overheat but it runs so cool I bumped it up to 4 now 👍

XLX2 failures when bashing = Boom, zap, $$$.
You forgot the 🔥 emoji 😂
just going to leave this here :ROFLMAO:
This was the first video of yours that I saw..😂🤣

@dure16 I believe the biggest issue is the epoxy not holding up to hard landings and that loosens those massive bullets on the board, ending in a bad connection resulting in a fiery death.
Also, as mentioned above, this ESC will give you the absolute possible max in current which will happen more often during acceleration from zero, happens more often during bashing.

Been using mine in a boat with no issues. All my statements could also be just anecdotal and unique to the bad experience that I have seen.
There is just a lot of mass, and jumping/crashing will take its toll on heavy components. The Max5 will limit current by design and might have fewer issues as a result. This limiting is only noticeable at high speed/high load over a longer time, but hardly ever during bashing.

i think this is the sweet spot between the max5 and xlx2- mmx8/800kv combo. i'm installing it in my xmaxx tonight with 30/35 mod 1.5 gears.

1679934034377.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back