Τime to change the battery? after a hit appears..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theofanis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
Hello, today, after I finished bashing with the kraton, I went to remove the battery from above and see what I noticed (photo), the battery has opened from that side and is slightly bent or compressed I would say... maybe from a hit? It's strange because the battery is always firmly attached to the socket that the kraton exb has with the straps (photo), I think it's because of the crashes on the front side because it's the only point of the battery that maybe gets pressed the most?
The battery was always charging and when it finished charging after the "full charged" notification rang, I took it out and after a period of not being used I did a storage charge, it still impresses me because it hasn't been used very much...
What would you say in this case, recycling immediately and buying a new one or wrapping with a good adhesive tape (gaffer) after I put a layer of some kind of iron "plate" on it first?
IMG_1905.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1915.jpeg
IMG_1916.jpeg

I'm not sure is it puffed out? I'm an not expert, but check to see if the metal can pierce the cell, if so maybe you can take some needle nose pliers and straighten the metal plate out and wrap the area with gorilla tape.

See what others say?

If I were to officially give advice I’d have to tell you how dangerous these things can be, and to safely dispose of it immediately just to be safe.
But if it was me, I’d check all the cells with a cell checker, make sure none are damaged, and just tape it up. No metal plate for sure, but maybe a plastic or carbon plate? Storage charge it, and take extra precautions of how and where you store it. Use a LiPo safe for sure, ammo can with the seal removed, inside a bbq grill or fireplace, etc. I wouldn’t leave it inside until you’ve cycled it a few more times and know it’s acting normally and doesn’t puff.
But definitely be scared of it for awhile if you elect to keep it. I don’t recommend you take this advice.

If you keep it definitely store outside of house.

If I were to officially give advice I’d have to tell you how dangerous these things can be, and to safely dispose of it immediately just to be safe.
But if it was me, I’d check all the cells with a cell checker, make sure none are damaged, and just tape it up. No metal plate for sure, but maybe a plastic or carbon plate? Storage charge it, and take extra precautions of how and where you store it. Use a LiPo safe for sure, ammo can with the seal removed, inside a bbq grill or fireplace, etc. I wouldn’t leave it inside until you’ve cycled it a few more times and know it’s acting normally and doesn’t puff.
But definitely be scared of it for awhile if you elect to keep it. I don’t recommend you take this advice.
As for the "cell checker", the truth is that I don't have any cell checker device, but when I connect my battery to my spectrum charger shows the volts separately for each cell, when I got home and put the battery to charge, all the cells were around at the same volts, when charged to 100% also all the cells had a similar indication, does this help at all?
Of course, the whole procedure took place outside the house
Here is a photo when I got home
IMG_1917.jpeg

Another red flag is smell. If it has an odd sweet odor one of the cells has been compromised. Looks like you're good to go so just pay attention and seeeennnnnnd it! 😎

If it doesn’t smell sweet, and it’s not puffed It’s most likely safe... but I personally wouldn’t risk it. I’ve thrown away batteries that had less damage than that because I’ve had batteries go up in flames because of less damage than that. I won’t risk one of my cars or my house burning down because I was too thrifty to toss a damaged pack.

Another red flag is smell. If it has an odd sweet odor one of the cells has been compromised. Looks like you're good to go so just pay attention and seeeennnnnnd it! 😎
If it doesn’t smell sweet, and it’s not puffed It’s most likely safe... but I personally wouldn’t risk it. I’ve thrown away batteries that had less damage than that because I’ve had batteries go up in flames because of less damage than that. I won’t risk one of my cars or my house burning down because I was too thrifty to toss a damaged pack.
There is no element of sweet smells or puffed....
You guys are making me think i should toss my 200$ lipos that i've only run like 5 times and they got beat up in the last bash =(
Same with mine battery, It's not the 5th time, but it's definitely the 15th time I've used it... and it's around 130 euros here in Greece if I'm not mistaken...
Moirae do you have any photo of your beaten battery’s?

Last edited:
Hello, today, after I finished bashing with the kraton, I went to remove the battery from above and see what I noticed (photo), the battery has opened from that side and is slightly bent or compressed I would say... maybe from a hit? It's strange because the battery is always firmly attached to the socket that the kraton exb has with the straps (photo), I think it's because of the crashes on the front side because it's the only point of the battery that maybe gets pressed the most?
The battery was always charging and when it finished charging after the "full charged" notification rang, I took it out and after a period of not being used I did a storage charge, it still impresses me because it hasn't been used very much...
What would you say in this case, recycling immediately and buying a new one or wrapping with a good adhesive tape (gaffer) after I put a layer of some kind of iron "plate" on it first?View attachment 317517View attachment 317518View attachment 317520View attachment 317519
Last time I gave advice on a puffed up lipo I got crap for it lol.i said toss it and a month later that same lipo was ready to blow.advice wasn't taken and 🤷.goomd thing his home didn't catch on fire.why take the chance.safety first👍

It's just the hard casing that split, if it was mine and after checking cells were ok then I'd simply tape it up and keep using it.

For piece of mind charge it to full capacity outside somewhere safe and see what happens, if no smell and no puffing then tape her up and you'll be fine. ;)

Είναι μόνο το σκληρό περίβλημα που χώρισε, αν ήταν δικό μου και αφού ελέγξω τα κελιά ήταν εντάξει, θα το κολλούσα με ταινία και θα συνέχιζα να το χρησιμοποιώ.

Για να το θυμάστε, φορτίστε το σε πλήρη χωρητικότητα έξω από ένα ασφαλές μέρος και δείτε τι θα συμβεί, αν δεν υπάρχει μυρωδιά και δεν φουσκώνει, τότε κολλήστε το με ταινία και θα είστε καλά.;)
Thank you very much, but I read all over the "cell checker" and still no answer, can you tell me how I can do this procedure with the cell checker? as you can see above in a photo of my spectrum charger, I can see that all my cells are being charged and discharged uniformly, is there any other "safer" procedure?

Thank you very much, but I read all over the "cell checker" and still no answer, can you tell me how I can do this procedure with the cell checker? as you can see above in a photo of my spectrum charger, I can see that all my cells are being charged and discharged uniformly, is there any other "safer" procedure?
I don’t know if you can check internal resistance in individual cells with that charger, but since they’re charging consistently it would suggest that the battery has sustained no real physical damage. Like others have said, make sure the damaged case doesn’t have any inward facing sharp edges that could puncture a cell and tape it up.

The best way to tell for damage would be to disassemble and inspect the battery internals. But I would only do this if you're comfortable with it. There can very several layers of padding, casing, wraps etc on these lipos, and it can be hard to tell what was affected and what conditions are like inside just by an external observation.

That said, you can continue to store safely and monitor the battery closely while you test or use it until you've built more confidence back into it.

Ο καλύτερος τρόπος για να μάθετε για ζημιά θα ήταν να αποσυναρμολογήσετε και να επιθεωρήσετε τα εσωτερικά μέρη της μπαταρίας. Αλλά θα το έκανα μόνο αν νιώθεις άνετα με αυτό. Μπορεί να υπάρχουν πολλά στρώματα επένδυσης, περιβλήματος, περιτυλίγματος κ.λπ. σε αυτά τα lipos, και μπορεί να είναι δύσκολο να πει κανείς τι επηρεάστηκε και ποιες είναι οι συνθήκες μέσα από μια εξωτερική παρατήρηση.

Τούτου λεχθέντος, μπορείτε να συνεχίσετε να αποθηκεύετε με ασφάλεια και να παρακολουθείτε στενά την μπαταρία ενώ τη δοκιμάζετε ή τη χρησιμοποιείτε μέχρι να αποκτήσετε ξανά περισσότερη εμπιστοσύνη σε αυτήν.
Maybe tomorrow morning I'll take it to a store that specializes in batteries so they can check, because the truth is I can't get into this "stripping" process of battery it looks dangerous... thx you anyway!

What would you say in this case, recycling immediately and buying a new one or wrapping with a good adhesive tape (gaffer) after I put a layer of some kind of iron "plate" on it first?View attachment 317517View attachment 317518View attachment 317520View attachment 317519
That lipo pack is junk. And unsafe.
Put it outside your home and recycle it.
What possessed you to use that wrong oversized capacity heavy lipo in there? 1100mah ?? 7k mah is all you need, if that. And one that fits the stocker lipo tray.
Getting greedy with run time using a very large capacity lipo works against you every time. Better off with 2 smaller capacity correct fitting lipos, than having one big one. Best to change out the packs than having that one to give you longer runs.
You modded the Lipo tray to "make" it fit. The second mistake. This weakened the lipo retention, along with that very heavy lipo pack.
At least it appears that way to me. Correct me if I am wrong.
You could always use foam padding on the bottom and front of the lipo tray for better insurance. Especially if you send it all the time.

Last edited:
Ouch!! That's a pricey battery to toss. I feel for you there. I also agree with @SrC , wrong battery for the truck, better off having 2 that actually fit the stock tray IMO. I see you have the springs cranked right down on the shocks, another reason that battery is wrong for the truck. Your call though✌
As to the damaged battery, me, well, I'd definitely keep on cycling that puppy. I would bring it down near LVC, squirt some hot glue in the hole (outside the house of course), let it setup, then tape that puppy up with some HD duct tape. Just me, not giving advice of course😉🤷‍♂️😎
I wonder if these batteries have any plating on the outside? Hard to tell from the pics, but that could be a concern, sharp edges..

Yeah that pricey oversized lipo was simply a bad call from the start. Especially shoe horning it in to make it somehow work. And it didn't work out.
Live and learn. Move on.
It's just part of the hobby.
I myself would NOT chance using that Hard case lipo anymore. A Lipo fire has "totaled out" one of my rigs already.
Start over, buy another Lipo tray and only buy lipos that fit its dimensions. The dimensions are listed in the manual. 6-7k mah lipos are just fine for 15 minute give or take run times. This is normal. These RC's always run best when they are lighter. They also run cooler due to less weight.

Αυτό το πακέτο lipo είναι σκουπίδια. Και ανασφαλές.
Βάλτε το έξω από το σπίτι σας και ανακυκλώστε το.
Τι σας έκανε να χρησιμοποιήσετε αυτό το λάθος υπερμεγέθη βαρύ lipo εκεί μέσα; 1100mah ?? 7k mah είναι το μόνο που χρειάζεστε, αν αυτό. Και ένα που ταιριάζει στο δίσκο λίπος stocker.
Το να είστε άπληστοι με το χρόνο εκτέλεσης χρησιμοποιώντας ένα πολύ μεγάλης χωρητικότητας lipo λειτουργεί εναντίον σας κάθε φορά. Καλύτερα με 2 μικρότερης χωρητικότητας σωστή τοποθέτηση λιπών, παρά με ένα μεγάλο. Είναι καλύτερο να αλλάξετε τα πακέτα από το να έχετε αυτό για να σας προσφέρει μεγαλύτερες διαδρομές.
Τροποποιήσατε το δίσκο Lipo για να τον «κάνετε» να ταιριάζει. Το δεύτερο λάθος. Αυτό αποδυνάμωσε την κατακράτηση λιπιδίων, μαζί με αυτό το πολύ βαρύ πακέτο λιπιδίων.
Τουλάχιστον έτσι μου φαίνεται. Διορθώστε με αν κάνω λάθος.
Θα μπορούσατε πάντα να χρησιμοποιείτε επένδυση από αφρώδες υλικό στο κάτω και στο μπροστινό μέρος του δίσκου lipo για καλύτερη ασφάλεια. Ειδικά αν το στέλνεις συνέχεια.
The truth is that I hadn't measured the dimensions well when I first ordered the battery, kraton dimensions 180 x 55 x 70mm, battery dimensions 178 x 52 x 53mm, unfortunately I realized this when the battery had arrived in my hands and it was late then, despite this the only thing I could do is the next patent (which I also saw from someone else on youtube) to break or cut the battery case, it seems that there is something like a pillar there that damaged my battery, as far as the choice of battery is concerned asking me, gensacearespammers produce this "bashing" series of 100c at 11k mAh and 8k mAh, therefore the Discharge Rate and the many mAh and because I wanted to do bashing, I had read that they were fitted with a "hard" casing and were available for this reason well, that's how I ended up with it (even though I missed these dimensions :/ )
Well, I don't understand why 7k is all I need, with 11k I have more fun time...
Μy next step is to order the exb's replacement battery case (items in my cart) and find a battery in those dimensions.
Ωχ!! Αυτή είναι μια ακριβή μπαταρία που πρέπει να πετάξεις. Σε νιώθω εκεί. Συμφωνώ επίσης με το @SrC , λάθος μπαταρία για το φορτηγό, καλύτερα να έχετε 2 που να ταιριάζουν πραγματικά στον δίσκο αποθέματος IMO. Βλέπω ότι έχετε τα ελατήρια στροβιλισμένα ακριβώς στα αμορτισέρ, ένας άλλος λόγος που η μπαταρία είναι λάθος για το φορτηγό. Η κλήση σας όμως✌
Όσο για τη χαλασμένη μπαταρία, εγώ, λοιπόν, σίγουρα θα συνέχιζα να ποδηλατώ αυτό το κουτάβι. Θα το κατέβαζα κοντά στο LVC, θα έριχνα λίγη ζεστή κόλλα στην τρύπα (φυσικά έξω από το σπίτι), θα το άφηνα να εγκατασταθεί και μετά θα κολλούσα σε αυτό το κουτάβι με λίγη κολλητική ταινία HD. Μόνο εγώ, χωρίς φυσικά να δίνω συμβουλές😉🤷‍♂️😎
Αναρωτιέμαι αν αυτές οι μπαταρίες έχουν καμία επένδυση στο εξωτερικό; Δύσκολο να καταλάβω από τις φωτογραφίες, αλλά αυτό θα μπορούσε να είναι ανησυχητικό, αιχμηρές άκρες..
The springs are cranked right down on the shocks exaclty because the battery was very heavy... and whenever it falls from a ramp of a height of about one meter, the chassis was hit the floor hard.. that's why I "tighten" them so much, also, i'm on my period when I have to service my shocks... the particular battery, when I bought it, I remember reading that it was intended for bashing purposes (that was one of the reasons I bought it) and that they are coated quite well, from what I can see now that it's done like this, it has an iron casing on the inside and from the outside, a hard plastic which mine is broken...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back