Kraton 6s 2050kv wire melt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaOfChaos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
20230505_194414.jpg
I ran my Kraton V5 hard against my brother and his Sledge. My fan started glitching on and off and then my yellow wire melted the soldier on the 4mm connectors. My punch is at 7, timing @ 15°, 15t mod 1 pinion. The male and female connectors were blackened inside and out. I replaced with Castle 4mm female and good electric soldier. Has this happened to you? Was.it over use?
Replacement fan. 35mm Rocket.
20230504_193849.jpg

yea i had the same thing happen to me but mine completely melted
View attachment 298488I ran my Kraton V5 hard against my brother and his Sledge. My fan started glitching on and off and then my yellow wire melted the soldier on the 4mm connectors. My punch is at 7, timing @ 15°, 15t mod 1 pinion. The male and female connectors were blackened inside and out. I replaced with Castle 4mm female and good electric soldier. Has this happened to you? Was.it over use?
Replacement fan. 35mm Rocket.View attachment 298489

If it had arc soot (blackened) the connection was bad, raising resistance, causing the melt down.. it's not that uncommon by any means.. 👍

Yep, there’s a reason those connectors aren’t used outside of spektrum-Firma or toy grade lower current applications. 6.5mm bullets allow more burst/continuous amp transfer, less likely to disconnect bashing/corrosion resistance on interference fit, and standardized-easier to implement on 6-8S speed controllers.

Sure hope you get it sorted! Going to thoroughly check my wiring! Had no idea something like that could cause face injuries to that degree. Get well soon!

It happens, could be a few things. Poor factory solder, worn or tired stock bullets, etc. IMO, 4mm bullets are pretty much tapped out with stock 6s electronics and stock gearing. Beyond that, it really pays to switch to 6.5mm bullets. You could try and get "the perfect" setup on 4mm bullets, but even then, if you you're close to the limit, why not just upgrade to something that has plenty of head room?

That said, i think redoing that connection will likely resolve the issue for now.

For a 6s, high amp vehicle, I prefer ESCs where the motor wires plug directly into the ESC, and where the ESC connectors are 6mm. One reason I prefer that configuration is there are three fewer soldered connections to fail. I converted my Kraton 6s to a Castle MMX 8s/1650kv motor system because I felt the stock 150A ESC and 2050kv motor were inadequate to handle the high amperage. The number of failed and burned 150A Spektrum ESCs some time ago is testament to that fact.

Remove that heatsink and install a proper fan setup, thank me later!! 😎
+!
Hope the OP is using a Temp Gun. He is abusing his electrics. I never had that happen. Yet I commonly seen others like this. I run the speed gear exclusively in my V1 Mojave. And bash it anywhere. All stock electrics. Punch is at 5. Runs cool. Never getting Temp cuts.
I recommend the OP turn his ESC TIMING down much lower also. (y) Punch can be lowered also. These will absolutely help control some heat as well.
HS sucks. Toss it. Keeps the motor hotter and for longer, because it gets Heat Soaked with that stupid HS.
Get a double fan "mount" and 2 40 x 20mm fans. No HS needed.
The motor itslef is already a Heat sink by design. All motors are. Leaving it bare will cool off much faster.;)

What were your motor temps when that happened?
Probably around 135°f , but the wire must have been really heating up. I usually feel the back of can or shot my temp gun. Now I check the wires first!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back