8s exb or 6s exb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get as far as bang for buck. I have a notorious I've extended and upgraded and wanting something more or different. I've never had a 1/5 scale so I'm not really sure if it's worth having or if I should stick to 1/8th scale. I'm still kind of a beginner and will be building a track in my back yard. Probably like a bmx style for jumps flips and such. Thanks for any advice

I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get as far as bang for buck. I have a notorious I've extended and upgraded and wanting something more or different. I've never had a 1/5 scale so I'm not really sure if it's worth having or if I should stick to 1/8th scale. I'm still kind of a beginner and will be building a track in my back yard. Probably like a bmx style for jumps flips and such. Thanks for any advice
The 1/5 scale stuff takes up more room in the house, costs more to buy, own, fix and upgrade. Outside they require a bigger space to do their thing. I personally think the 1/8 scale stuff from Arrma is the sweet spot for being durable, powerful and relatively inexpensive for repair and upkeep.

A lot of the advanced folks here who have lots of room to run in the outdoors will tell you that there is nothing more fun than the larger scale cars and I can't say I wouldn't like owning one... I just know for certain it would be wasted in the places I have to run. Being that you were already willing to spend on upgrades for your Notorious, cost isn't as much of a factor, I would instead think hard about the track you are building and if a big car would be a good fit.

The main reason I extended the chassis on it was because it wouldn't set the wheels down lol. The other upgrades I put on were to prep for bashing and hopefully improve handling. I haven't been able to try it out yet but soon I will. I kind of have the space for the big rc but at the same time I can't tear up some of the land as it's leased out for hay. So I'm also thinking 1/8 scale as well. I have a typhon 6s as well. I love how it handles. Its a mix of 6s and tlr parts.
And the other reason for looking into another rc, I have a 30%off coupon lol. Looking for it to pay for itself.

Last edited:
The main reason I extended the chassis on it was because it wouldn't set the wheels down lol. The other upgrades I put on were to prep for bashing and hopefully improve handling
It sounds like you are a candidate for the new Kraton 6s EXB. Many of the upgrades you would be looking for are already done and the handling will be better by default with its longer chassis. With your 30% coupon you are looking at under $500.

Notorious is awesome but as a stunt truck, yeah, you aren't going to keep the wheels down, though a few ways to improve that would be to dial back the punch in the ESC, get a transmitter that you can set throttle curves in and learn to be more subtle on the trigger. You can also run it on 4s.

I have both the notorious 6s and the Kraton 8s and love both. I will agree with the above in that you need more space to open up the big 8s and to turn it 😱. Around the yard I have a lot of fun with the 6s and bought bmx ramps to spice it up. I think you’d be happy with the 6s.

Listening to some of these guys would have you thinking parks are rare AF. If I could only pick 1/5th or 1/8th I wouldn't hesitate to pick 1/5th. I wish I bought one sooner because I would have saved a lot of money not buying 1/8th stuff. Everyone is different though.

I just bought both and to be honest I don’t know what I would pick. They both have their ups and downs. The 1/5 is a beast and fun to drive. Although the 6s is just as much fun. Tough choice but if I had a 30% coupon I would have got the 8s EXB cause that is a a deal for that beast!

I have both. the 8s kraton EXB rtr is great and makes the 6s kraton seem toyish in comparison but still love the 6s line. up to you really you could always sell which ever you get and buy the other or buy both :)

Listening to some of these guys would have you thinking parks are rare AF. If I could only pick 1/5th or 1/8th I wouldn't hesitate to pick 1/5th. I wish I bought one sooner because I would have saved a lot of money not buying 1/8th stuff. Everyone is different though.
I bought the 8 first knowing I had the space to run it and it looked like a childhood dream come true. I live in a suburb-ish area and I can and do run the 6s more in the yard with my kids than I do packing up my 8s to head to the local park. Sad but true

The real fun happens when we bust out the 2s/3s rigs in the yard. You can have a hoot in a small space

I bought the 8 first knowing I had the space to run it and it looked like a childhood dream come true. I live in a suburb-ish area and I can and do run the 6s more in the yard with my kids than I do packing up my 8s to head to the local park. Sad but true

The real fun happens when we bust out the 2s/3s rigs in the yard. You can have a hoot in a small space
haha I'm the exact opposite. I have the most fun driving 16 mins away to my fav park with a spot for me to launch my rigs. I went months without touching an 1/8th basher because the DBXL/XRT/K8s/o8s were so much more fun. To make it even worse, it extended to my on road rigs as well. As soon as I started getting 1/5th scale on road rigs I stopped messing with my limitless/felony etc etc. Just something about the size and all that power that just makes it feel like its on a whole nother level. My 12s on road rigs give an insane rush :ROFLMAO:

haha I'm the exact opposite. I have the most fun driving 16 mins away to my fav park with a spot for me to launch my rigs. I went months without touching an 1/8th basher because the DBXL/XRT/K8s/o8s were so much more fun. To make it even worse, it extended to my on road rigs as well. As soon as I started getting 1/5th scale on road rigs I stopped messing with my limitless/felony etc etc. Just something about the size and all that power that just makes it feel like its on a whole nother level. My 12s on road rigs give an insane rush :ROFLMAO:

What did you put in the F5 holy crap that sounds wild.

What did you put in the F5 holy crap that sounds wild.
Doesn't it?!?! it's just a max 4 + TP 5870 750kv on 12s and it's NASTY :eek: :eek:

I'm struggling with this decision myself. I've been out of the hobby a few years, used to have a v2 kraton and a Nero big rock. Loved the 1/8th scale over my first hobby grade rc (stampede vxl 4x4). I really love the idea of the 1/5th kraton

Stay with the 6s line. K6 EXB hands down the best bang for the buck IMHO right now.
However if you want to go bigger and longer, just jump to the 6s 1/7 BRCC, Mojave or Fireteam. This might fill your hunger for 1/5 scale somewhat while keeping your wallet happier. The 6s line Arrmas are generally faster, nimble and more durable.
This Hobby can get real expensive with the 1/5 stuff, wheels are like double the price alone. Almost everything is double the price. 8s 1/5 being 30+ pounds, you will break more and spend more. It's your wallet. Do as you will. And have fun at it whatever the case.
Just me.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
With the tower 20% off deal, I’d grab the 8s Kraton EXB before I’d grab the 6s.

Beings the 1/7 BRCC body is basically over priced trash, I’d stay away. The Fireteam body is also overpriced trash that I’d steer clear from. Look what either of those bodies cost compared to a Kraton or Outcast 8s body and then come back and discuss more about everything 1/5 scale being “double” the price.

I actually own both of the Arrma 8s rigs, an Xmaxx, an XRT, a 1/8 Maxx, a Kraton XL, (had a Mojave and sold it) and a few others. 9 times out of 10, I’m bashing one of the big 4.

With the tower 20% off deal, I’d grab the 8s Kraton EXB before I’d grab the 6s.

Beings the 1/7 BRCC body is basically over priced trash, I’d stay away. The Fireteam body is also overpriced trash that I’d steer clear from. Look what either of those bodies cost compared to a Kraton or Outcast 8s body and then come back and discuss more about everything 1/5 scale being “double” the price.

I actually own both of the Arrma 8s rigs, an Xmaxx, an XRT, a 1/8 Maxx, a Kraton XL, (had a Mojave and sold it) and a few others. 9 times out of 10, I’m bashing one of the big 4.
Thank you for your input. I've always drooled over the 1/5 scales and I am impressed with the videos of the rtr exb k8. Even with the YT bashers breakages, it seems more durable than the v1 and I would never run it the way those guys do anyway. I did love the k6 v2 I had as well. Maybe I'll have to sneak both somehow and not let the wife know 🤣

Back