Anyone Own a HPI Savage XL Flux GTXL-6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrahbee

Send-Flip-Break-Fix-Repeat 🤙🏼
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Outcast EXB
  9. Infraction 4x4
Been looking at this for about 6 months. Seriously thinking about getting one with AF's blessings. Anyone own one, worth it for $700? Seen KT bash one about a year ago and he seemed to think it was pretty tuff, one of "his favorites". What do you guys think?? Trying to expand my collection since I have all the Arrma rigs I want atm.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-sa...tr-brushless-monster-truck-hpi160103/p1406763

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.14.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.14.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.14.50 PM.png

trouble with the savage is cleaning and maintenance in other words its a nightmare to work on nightmare to strip down also apart from that think its a good car. had two savages in the past but they were nitro

I pieced one together from Jenny's and a old savageX 4.6 I had, seems ok so far. Only ran it on 6S and it's pretty fast on the top end, I think it's better suited for 4S probably . I haven't tried 4S yet, on 6S I can't get it topped out without flipping over or exploding the old Savage tires. Got some 4S backflip LP's to put on it after I kill the rest of my old tires. I haven't bashed it to hard yet at least no big jumps anyways, motor ran a little warm and will put a fan on it if 4S doesn't make it run a little cooler.

Edit: Missed the XL part mines a shorty.

Last edited:
I bought a set of these tires from JRC and used them on my Kaiju. On 4s they balloon significantly, not sure they're gonna hold up for long on 6s? They work quite well on hard pack, thought about trying them on a 6s Kraton, but didn't want to destroy them..

I do own one I got it on a trade and some cash. It is a super strong truck over all I haven’t actually broken anything yet on it. I have the Savage Flux V2 gt6 so it’s the shorter wheel base. It’s wild on 6S the power these have is intense they don’t just say it. It’s basically capable of stunts like the outcast in the short wheel base version. I am impressed with the suspension the shocks are very well springed and dampened and they have loads of travel. Impressive when they use collars to adjust the compression. I will say like others above it is a bit of a pain to work on. The twin chassis plate is not friendly but HPI has improved how it does come apart or how you gain access to certain components. I ended up stripping the screws in the steering posts or they were ready stripped when I went to change out the tearing servo. The steering servo is very weak. It gets the job done when moving but parked the truck can’t turn its wheels lock to lock. The radio is of great quality and feels good. The tires have been very good to me, lots of traction and nice compound, I vented them externally so they don’t balloon quite as much now. Jenny’s RC does stock parts for these trucks which is nice ! There is a company that makes a adapter to be able to run a Arrma 6S center diff I will probably do this mod eventually but honestly the updated slipper clutch design on this truck is heavy duty! Like you I bought it as I wanted something different then the “truggy” style monster trucks out there and the Savage does deliver a different drive and feel to it! They are pricey but I do enjoy mine and will be keeping it. Now I’ve got to order a new steering post from Jenny’s 😂 so I can fix that and replace the steering servo as planed

A47896D4-5150-42B2-80CD-5752144C8D89.jpeg

I do own one I got it on a trade and some cash. It is a super strong truck over all I haven’t actually broken anything yet on it. I have the Savage Flux V2 gt6 so it’s the shorter wheel base. It’s wild on 6S the power these have is intense they don’t just say it. It’s basically capable of stunts like the outcast in the short wheel base version. I am impressed with the suspension the shocks are very well springed and dampened and they have loads of travel. Impressive when they use collars to adjust the compression. I will say like others above it is a bit of a pain to work on. The twin chassis plate is not friendly but HPI has improved how it does come apart or how you gain access to certain components. I ended up stripping the screws in the steering posts or they were ready stripped when I went to change out the tearing servo. The steering servo is very weak. It gets the job done when moving but parked the truck can’t turn its wheels lock to lock. The radio is of great quality and feels good. The tires have been very good to me, lots of traction and nice compound, I vented them externally so they don’t balloon quite as much now. Jenny’s RC does stock parts for these trucks which is nice ! There is a company that makes a adapter to be able to run a Arrma 6S center diff I will probably do this mod eventually but honestly the updated slipper clutch design on this truck is heavy duty! Like you I bought it as I wanted something different then the “truggy” style monster trucks out there and the Savage does deliver a different drive and feel to it! They are pricey but I do enjoy mine and will be keeping it. Now I’ve got to order a new steering post from Jenny’s 😂 so I can fix that and replace the steering servo as planed

View attachment 311130
Good stuff! Sounds legit too. I'll have to try venting my tires.. I actually just vented a set of Jconcepts Chopper sct's that were shaking like crazy. Should've seen the dust and crap fly out on the first rip,wow!! Really helped alot.. I had forgotten about the Thanksgiving mud bash my brother and I had last year..poor Tekno sct410.3 must've taken on 3lb of mud that day!🤔🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

I have the X Flux and Nitro.

Pros: It drives really well, tires have amazing traction, ridiculously overpowered.

Cons: Battery trays are flat out stupid. It's not that tough -- shock shafts bend easily, diffs destroy themselves on 6S, tires come unglued, body is pretty thin. Rest of the truck has pretty good durability.

It's weird to work on, but once you understand how to tear it apart it's not that bad. Main thing to realize is the front and rear end unbolt from the chassis with like 6 screws (3 on each side).

Pros: It drives really well, tires have amazing traction, ridiculously overpowered.

Cons: Battery trays are flat out stupid. It's not that tough -- shock shafts bend easily, diffs destroy themselves on 6S, tires come unglued, body is pretty thin. Rest of the truck has pretty good durability.

It's weird to work on, but once you understand how to tear it apart it's not that bad. Main thing to realize is the front and rear end unbolt from the chassis with like 6 screws (3 on each side).
Depends what your doing with it I suppose. I have not had any diff issues yet I hope I don’t. I run it on 6S only. I do wonder about the shocks as it’s heavy but they seem alright so far. I imagine they bend because the truck doesn’t seem to get chassis slap the way it’s set up. Body and tires are holding well so far. I do mostly rip this thing around grass and off small ramps so I’m not looking to air it out.

I agree once you pull it apart it seems well thought out. I figured out it was a couple screw to remove the esc deck completely and access the steering stuff. Some of the screws were stripped on mine.
Good stuff! Sounds legit too. I'll have to try venting my tires.. I actually just vented a set of Jconcepts Chopper sct's that were shaking like crazy. Should've seen the dust and crap fly out on the first rip,wow!! Really helped alot.. I had forgotten about the Thanksgiving mud bash my brother and I had last year..poor Tekno sct410.3 must've taken on 3lb of mud that day!🤔🤷‍♂️🤣🤣
Lol I did the same a while ago with my Erevo the one tire was way out of balance or something. I vented it and you could see the sand spraying out of it for about 5 minutes. It did fix that problem. Poor little sct410.3 but those trucks are strong too!!

View attachment 311130
Thanks for the feedback/info! 🤙🏼

Great info, thank you sir! Did you do a video on the newer version?? 😁

Wonder how long they will be on backorder 🤔 I want one of these or a vanquish, and the vanquish in stock

Man...you really know your sh!t 👊🏼 I even found a $30 coupon on that site. I assume it's a reputable site or you wouldn't have suggested it?

Like I said Hobby Recreation Products is the official US distributor for HPI Racing. They are also the official distributor for Spaz Stix, Savox and Team Corally. So yes that is a 100% legit website. If you have any issues with the truck you will likely be dealing with HRP and not HPI directly.

Address: 2034 S 3850 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8 AM Mon

Phone: (800) 860-3709

Like I said
Sorry think I clicked the link before reading the entire post 🤣 I had just gotten up and was stoked to see the link
Thanks! @slick2500 I know I can count on the AF OG's to help me spend all my money 😂
Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 11.00.10 AM.png

Last edited:
Sorry think I clicked the link before reading the entire post 🤣 I had just gotten up and was stoked to see the link
Thanks! @slick2500 I know I can count on the AF OG's to help me spend all my money 😂
View attachment 311394

I completely forgot to mention that they suck at getting products in this has nothing to do with HPI what so ever HRP just sucks at keeping things in stock. There's a big thread about it on the Corally Forum because they cant keep stock of those cars or parts either.

I completely forgot to mention that they suck at getting products in this has nothing to do with HPI
Well hope it doesn't apply to me, and jenny's gets more in stock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back