Are these any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm coming to realize this with all the input. I promise I'll make the best of my good fortune. Working on this kit is already helping me to understand the parts that go into these things. It's awesome.
Can’t wait to hear about it running! In technical terms, you’ll never find an 8th scale esc as powerful as that period. Since 2013 all escs have become accustomed to programmed nannies like current limitation features. That old mamba monster V1 was exempt from all of that during its 09-13 run. They had seriously raw power. Realized, that appears to be purchased new. That was a $400 system when it came out... $500 retail from castle ?.

Only suggestion I have is get a castle link module. Plug it into the computer and check the firmware before you run that thing. Back in its day there were some flawed firmwares that would have a high chance in causing a fatal error, which would kill the esc. You can update the firmware to a stable one if it’s currently using a bad firmware. Little known fact, those escs can take 8s for some time.

My only concern is that being an older race kit, it came out about 10 years ago, is that some parts might be a bit tricky to find. I still find parts for my RC10B2 all the time and that is much older so I don't think it will be too big of an issue.

Can’t wait to hear about it running! In technical terms, you’ll never find an 8th scale esc as powerful as that period. Since 2013 all escs have become accustomed to programmed nannies like current limitation features. That old mamba monster V1 was exempt from all of that during its 09-13 run. They had seriously raw power. Realized, that appears to be purchased new. That was a $400 system when it came out... $500 retail from castle ?.

Only suggestion I have is get a castle link module. Plug it into the computer and check the firmware before you run that thing. Back in its day there were some flawed firmwares that would have a high chance in causing a fatal error, which would kill the esc. You can update the firmware to a stable one if it’s currently using a bad firmware. Little known fact, those escs can take 8s for some time.
Interesting so if I were to make sure the firmware is all updated it could take 8s? But it would overheat quicker than a dedicated 8s esc right?
My only concern is that being an older race kit, it came out about 10 years ago, is that some parts might be a bit tricky to find. I still find parts for my RC10B2 all the time and that is much older so I don't think it will be too big of an issue.
That was my concern as well. I'll start looking around to see any sites where stuff may be available to order from.

Interesting so if I were to make sure the firmware is all updated it could take 8s? But it would overheat quicker than a dedicated 8s esc right?

That was my concern as well. I'll start looking around to see any sites where stuff may be available to order from.
I did a quick look around on the Team Associated website and most parts still looked to be available.

Some guy started small talk as I was bashing with my Kraton at a park. He then mentioned he had this rc someone gave him and it was just too much for him to deal with and saw that I was into it so he asked if I wanted it.

I didn't even know exactly what he was offering but now I see that it was top quality and I really lucked out. What a really nice dude.
?? I had a very similar thing happen to me. I’m bashing at the park and a guy in a truck pulls out this Hitec X4 charger that he doesn’t use anymore. Just gives it to me. I had to buy a couple of balance boards but a new one costs $400.

?? I had a very similar thing happen to me. I’m bashing at the park and a guy in a truck pulls out this Hitec X4 charger that he doesn’t use anymore. Just gives it to me. I had to buy a couple of balance boards but a new one costs $400.
It's a good feeling eh? ?

So this front section is coming along. I can't find 1 little part that I'll probably have to order. I'll circle it in the pic.

20200920_150952.jpg

From what I know, 1.24, 1.26, and 1.29 are all stable firmwares that let the ESC operate on 8s lipo. If your firmware is any different from those 3, I highly recommend changing it back to one of those 3 listed. And as you said, yes, it’ll run hotter than a dedicated 8s esc. But if you want to do a speed run or 3 with some hotrod, you can throw 8s in for a few passes, get your numbers, let it cool down, and go again. For normal bashing I wouldn’t advise it.

From what I know, 1.24, 1.26, and 1.29 are all stable firmwares that let the ESC operate on 8s lipo. If your firmware is any different from those 3, I highly recommend changing it back to one of those 3 listed. And as you said, yes, it’ll run hotter than a dedicated 8s esc. But if you want to do a speed run or 3 with some hotrod, you can throw 8s in for a few passes, get your numbers, let it cool down, and go again. For normal bashing I wouldn’t advise it.
Got it, thanks. I'll most likely just be bashing at this time but will still make sure it's updated.

I'm trying to finish installing the servo horn. It seems like the holes in it are way too small. I also didn't see a screw that realistically fits. Are the holes supposed to be small like this and is it common to have to drill the holes to be larger?
I don't see any screws that came with it that would fit.

20200921_175607.jpg

I'm trying to finish installing the servo horn. It seems like the holes in it are way too small. I also didn't see a screw that realistically fits. Are the holes supposed to be small like this and is it common to have to drill the holes to be larger?

View attachment 101025
Do you have an M3 tap? They probably aren’t threaded and you’re supposed to use a sheet metal type screw ??‍♂️

View attachment 101025
Get yourself a new horn 24t ....lots of choices out there.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back