Creality K1 on sale for net $289 (thru 12/22)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best educated guess is, yes.. most likely the motor is to small for the job, requiring the v-ref to be cranked up to hold steps.. again, best educated guess at this moment..
Here is a couple pics of the unit so you know what we are looking at.. Could be very tricky to get that stepper further away with it's design.. notice how the end bearing acts as a centering dowel, and how short the output shaft is.. will be a multi part process for sure..

Got it sorted..👍.. .040" gasket material worked amazingly.. far less heat transfer from the paper opposed to the g10 material shim.. it is also stepped out .020" further, still getting about a 90 percent tooth engagement on the gear set which seems to be just fine.. I've run just about whole spool through it with no issues..👍

While I had the gear set disassembled I noticed the mesh was super tight and notchy on the feeder gears... well sure enough.. every time you unload filament it leaves behind a wisp of filament, much like travel stringing, super fine strand... That wisp ends up in the gear set, over time it jams it into the mesh, tightening up every filament change..

Took a very small flat head and scraped out in-between each tooth.. the embedded wisps, now turned into solid chunks of what looks like tooth material slid out from each tooth.. it embedded itself so well you can barley see it with the naked eye.. this explains the gradual increase in stepper heat over time..

So v-ref was not a player in the heat increase, it was solely struggling more and more to turn the gear set...

That being said, the gasket I made may not have been necessary, but on the other hand it does run cooler in the gear housing than before... so I will continue using the paper gasket, it surely can't hurt to be cooler in that assembly.... 👍

Any k1 user's out there that have softening filament in the feeder assembly make sure to check the feeder gear set for mesh bind.. ✌️

Got it sorted..👍.. .040" gasket material worked amazingly.. far less heat transfer from the paper opposed to the g10 material shim.. it is also stepped out .020" further, still getting about a 90 percent tooth engagement on the gear set which seems to be just fine.. I've run just about whole spool through it with no issues..👍

While I had the gear set disassembled I noticed the mesh was super tight and notchy on the feeder gears... well sure enough.. every time you unload filament it leaves behind a wisp of filament, much like travel stringing, super fine strand... That wisp ends up in the gear set, over time it jams it into the mesh, tightening up every filament change..

Took a very small flat head and scraped out in-between each tooth.. the embedded wisps, now turned into solid chunks of what looks like tooth material slid out from each tooth.. it embedded itself so well you can barley see it with the naked eye.. this explains the gradual increase in stepper heat over time..

So v-ref was not a player in the heat increase, it was solely struggling more and more to turn the gear set...

That being said, the gasket I made may not have been necessary, but on the other hand it does run cooler in the gear housing than before... so I will continue using the paper gasket, it surely can't hurt to be cooler in that assembly.... 👍

Any k1 user's out there that have softening filament in the feeder assembly make sure to check the feeder gear set for mesh bind.. ✌️

Thank you for taking the time and effort to find out what's going on with the heat creep migration to the extruder gears..

And the solution with the paper gasket. 👍

On a side note-
I've been watching that deal for the K1 on MatterHackers..
Guess I waited a bit too long ,they are currently sold out.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the effort to find out what's going on with the heat creep migration to the extruder gears..

And the solution with the paper gasket. 👍

I'm a side note-
I've been watching that deal for the K1 on MatterHackers..
Guess I waited a bit too long ,they are currently sold out.

I'll tell ya, it really had me stumped for a minute, I'm glad I was attentive enough to realize the gear set was binding, and more glad I took a screwdriver to the heels of the teeth... Absolutely every single tooth spit out compacted plastic.. 🤦

That really is/was a killer deal, hopefully when they restock the deal will continue..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back