Do you ever feel weird...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I feel like others are judging or wondering ...more like it... I pick the truck up and analyze it.. Kinda shimmy around the movable parts and act like I'm making sure things don't need adjusting. lol
I don't have kids and am 48. I mostly do what I want to do and barely care as I carry on, day to day lol .
Imagine if it were planes, where older men tend to migrate as RC enthusiasts. They get passes where us truck drivers don't?. I just do what I want to do for the most part and hope others will ask or say, "how fast will it go?" or "man, thats cool" lol

When I feel like others are judging or wondering ...more like it... I pick the truck up and analyze it.. Kinda shimmy around the movable parts and act like I'm making sure things don't need adjusting. lol
I don't have kids and am 48. I mostly do what I want to do and barely care as I carry on, day to day lol .
Imagine if it were planes, where older men tend to migrate as RC enthusiasts. They get passes where us truck drivers don't?. I just do what I want to do for the most part and hope others will ask or say, "how fast will it go?" or "man, thats cool" lol

Plane guys look like they have expensive toys, the general public don’t realize that my Tekno costs more than their rent. On the other hand like I said earlier, my gas engine RCs get tons of different attention 1. Because they are f—-king loud, 2. They are massive.

I don't draw much attention with all electric but from time to time they'll look on. Kids at the park like to chase and I'll entertain them for a few minutes by chasing and back safely. In my small town, I've only experienced a smaller few frowns. Dog walking or just general distrust. I smile and carry on and drive through the dog poop. I wonder why they frown on my "pets" while theirs run free and no question. If their pets chase I run em. They don't ever catch the rabbit and I laugh the entire time. I should make video. lol

I need to get a screen to run afterburner like that, awesome!

Thank you, it was not hard or expensive to add. However, I admit it's more for looks now that my computer sits behind me and I can not even see it.

Growing up my dad collected ho trains. He had a small ho brass business out of our basement in the pre eBay internet days of the Stone Age. He was a founding member of his train club which rented out a basement of a doctors office in town (it’s still there btwhttp://www.schuylkillvalleymodelrailroadclub.com/) . They were some great modelers. Now and then my dad would take me to the meetings, I thought his train buddies were about the coolest guys ever. i can still remember some of their nicknames and it’s 40s years ago. All of them guys like us who refuse to grow up.

I love Castlevania! Back in AIT (Army) I would play Symphony of the Night every day after classes.
Love SOTN... I had a turbo duo and the Japanese game (Dracula X) before it was put on the PlayStation

It took me ages to start to wear the GoPro, I still feel weird going to the kids bmx/skate park, but maybe having the GoPro on will be a good thing and work in my favour one day?

I'm 43 and I don't care lol. Pretty much everybody I know that's into it is my age or pretty near and current or semi retired motocross guys. It's kinda wierd... A lot of moto folks enjoy the RC as well #braaaaaap

I'm 43 and I don't care lol. Pretty much everybody I know that's into it is my age or pretty near and current or semi retired motocross guys. It's kinda wierd... A lot of moto folks enjoy the RC as well #braaaaaap

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190313-041604.jpg
    Screenshot_20190313-041604.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 61
I think most of us are adults in here, so do you ever feel weird going out in a public area to go run your RC? Did you ever?

I used to feel super weird in my 20s if my son wasn’t around. Now I’m 40 and he is 17 and he won’t be caught dead with me so I find myself going to secluded places. I am not as weird about it these days, guess when you get older you get to give a few less F—-ks. What about you? Be honest.
I actually felt a bit funny going to places by myself when I was younger. Anymore it doesn't bother me in the least. I know now that while I might start out alone it's very likely I'll have a crowd before I leave (if I'm at the park or similar). RC's certainly draws peoples attention and more so when you start getting into the larger 1/5th scale cars.

Yeah baby lets get the crawlers out!!!(y)
I just installed 1 of the 12t motors from my sons Granite on my scx10 ii, thing is a little rowdy now, lol.

I don't and never have felt weird about it, but a lot of guys in my industry are into r/c, we even work on em at the shop and drive em around when we get free time! I haven't ever been to a public park with any of my r/cs though. I have had customers watch and ask about them, not 1 person has looked at me weird.

Totally especially yesterday it's been warming and then cold warm cold so you've been able to ride on top of the snow Banks sometimes or some days rather so I've been doing that a lot through my neighborhood and I've been kind of running it into people's yards and leaving what looks like cross country ski tracks and finally yesterday as I was going down the road some guy stopped at the end of his driveway and was just staring at me and I'm like ahh s*** here's the day so he just ended up saying to me oh so you're the one and he was like At first I thought it was cross-country skis and then I was like no no and I was just like you have just me having fun being goofy and the guy proceeded to walk right next to me for like half a block and then I don't know what happened to I just looked back and he was gone weirdest time of my life

Nope, not at all. Life’s too short to be worried about that kind of thing. I had a cop stop once to check out my Tekno when I first built it...turns out he just bought a Slash and was into it too...was pretty cool. I do what I do because I enjoy it, end of story. I’m usually pretty friendly when people ask questions about one of my RC’s....kinda hard not to want to ask questions when you see it jumping 15’-20’ off the side of a hill and zipping around at 40-50mph lol

I will say this though, all the hobby really needs is someone who is mainstream, “cool” and has a decent amount of followers and BAM, RC bashing is now seen as “cool” and everyone will follow. Look at what Steve Jobs did for being “smart/inventive/tech-y” for example....

Edit - I also think I’m pretty awesome once you get to know me ?

Last edited:
I'm 69. I just tell em, "you gotta have fun with the time you got left" or, I have "oldtimers" and I'm reverting to my childhood! Also, a drive by at 75 mph sorta gets their attention! Some of the younger Guys look at me strange, until I start popping wheelies, then they think it's cool. Personally, I could give a chit less.:rolleyes:

I'm 69. I just tell em, "you gotta have fun with the time you got left" or, I have "oldtimers" and I'm reverting to my childhood! Also, a drive by at 75 mph sorta gets their attention! Some of the younger Guys look at me strange, until I start popping wheelies, then they think it's cool. Personally, I could give a chit less.:rolleyes:

Tell them your nickname is Papa Wheelie.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back